Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Well, they appear to have shipped out yesterday, and they're saying it should arrive Wednesday the 3rd.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on March 27, 2013, 04:27:07 AM
Well, they appear to have shipped out yesterday, and they're saying it should arrive Wednesday the 3rd.

Well, we'll see what Homeland Security has to say about that. I had some come through that seem to have had time-consuming orifice checks.... :D

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Prepared to exercise the virtue of Patience . . . will continue through the Beghin box meanwhile : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on March 27, 2013, 04:40:31 AM
Prepared to exercise the virtue of Patience . . . will continue through the Beghin box meanwhile : )

So, win::win. Splendid!  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

kishnevi

Not meaning to rain on your parade, so to speak, but I think the Italian means that Amazon Italy expects to ship the Hogwood on April 3--not that it's been shipped already and you will have it in a few days.  (If it does mean that, it would be faster than most items I've ordered from Amazon US.)

I've ordered twice from Amazon Italy.  The first one took a month to reach me, the second (IIRC) took three weeks.  So I would look for it to arrive on or about May 1.

In the meantime, you do have Beghin, so there is plenty of consolation to be had.

Karl Henning

Well, but unless amazon.it operate differently (which they may) amazon as a policy do not charge for an item until they ship it; and the charge for the Hogwood box landed the same day as this e-mail advisory.

And I recall the Brahms carton coming from a German source, quite speedily, considering.  So 3 April is not crazee talk
: )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

I hope that those who might be interested will note my brief review of The Seven Last Words DVD by Savall. I would be delighted to discuss and discover things from you about it.  :)

8)

Brahmsian

Gurn, have you heard all of Haydn's works at least once?  I was just curious!  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 29, 2013, 04:03:50 PM
Gurn, have you heard all of Haydn's works at least once?  I was just curious!  :)

Ummm... no. At least 10 times, I think. :)

8)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 29, 2013, 04:14:27 PM

8)

:)

Time very well spent, my friend!  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 29, 2013, 04:23:12 PM
:)

Time very well spent, my friend!  :)

I agree, Ray. I've never regretted a minute of it. Just a small correction, now that I've thought about it some more; I've only listened to the operas 3 or 4 times each.  Operas are big!   :)

8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 29, 2013, 04:14:27 PM

8)

Favorite Symphony?
Favorite String Quartet?
Favorite Piano Sonata?
Favorite Concerto?

Time to pick the brain of The Gurn. >:D  8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 29, 2013, 04:58:20 PM
Favorite Symphony?
Favorite String Quartet?
Favorite Piano Sonata?
Favorite Concerto?

Time to pick the brain of The Gurn. >:D  8)

Man, that's hard...

Favorite Symphony?    I love the quartet of G major symphonies from the late years:  88, 92, 94 & 100. To me, they are the essence of Haydn's personality. Haydn IS G major. :)

Favorite String Quartet?  Op 50 #1 in Bb. Op 76 #2 in d.  All the others are tied for third. :)

Favorite Piano Sonata?  Well, Hob 52 (#62) in Eb is the only one where Haydn really cut loose and wrote for a professional caliber player, amateurs be damned.  Hob 20 in c.  Hob 49 (#59) that he wrote for his lady friend in Vienna, Marianne Genzinger.

Favorite Concerto?  Horn concerto #1. Cello Concerto #1. Keyboard concerto #11

Favorite keyboard trios?  Hob 6, 25 & 31. These 3 alone can represent the entire spectrum of his interest in the genre (which was huge, BTW).

Of course, these things don't even begin to scratch the surface of the possibilities. Curious what some of y'all's are.  :)

8)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 29, 2013, 05:10:51 PM
Man, that's hard...

Favorite Symphony?    I love the quartet of G major symphonies from the late years:  88, 92, 94 & 100. To me, they are the essence of Haydn's personality. Haydn IS G major. :)

Favorite String Quartet?  Op 50 #1 in Bb. Op 76 #2 in d.  All the others are tied for third. :)

Favorite Piano Sonata?  Well, Hob 52 (#62) in Eb is the only one where Haydn really cut loose and wrote for a professional caliber player, amateurs be damned.  Hob 20 in c.  Hob 49 (#59) that he wrote for his lady friend in Vienna, Marianne Genzinger.

Favorite keyboard trios?  Hob 6, 25 & 31. These 3 alone can represent the entire spectrum of his interest in the genre (which was huge, BTW).

Of course, these things don't even begin to scratch the surface of the possibilities. Curious what some of y'all's are.  :)

8)

Favourite Baryton Trio?  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 29, 2013, 05:14:49 PM
Favourite Baryton Trio?  ;D

:P

#101 in C. It closes with a 3 voice fugue that is really excellent. 

8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 29, 2013, 05:10:51 PM
Man, that's hard...

8)

Great list, Gurn! Thank you for that.  :)

Favorite Symphony?  If I had only to choose only one, it would be No.80, otherwise I would allow No.6, 39, 45, 49 and 98 into the mix to duke it out!
Favorite String Quartet? "The Bird" from Op.33, especially for the finale, the entrance of the second theme is amazing.  And I'm with you, Gurn, Op.76 No.2 is a close second.
Favorite Piano Sonata? Don't really have one, yet. Love them, but need to spend more time with the Sonatas.  :-[
Favorite Concerto? Cello Concerto 1

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 29, 2013, 05:21:21 PM
Great list, Gurn! Thank you for that.  :)

Favorite Symphony?  If I had only to choose only one, it would be No.80, otherwise I would allow No.6, 39, 45, 49 and 98 into the mix to duke it out!
Favorite String Quartet? "The Bird" from Op.33, especially for the finale, the entrance of the second theme is amazing.  And I'm with you, Gurn, Op.76 No.2 is a close second.
Favorite Piano Sonata? Don't really have one, yet. Love them, but need to spend more time with the Sonatas.  :-[
Favorite Concerto? Cello Concerto 1

Yours is a great list too, Greg. That's why the question is so hard! I listened to 3 of your favorite symphonies today while I was writing that essay on the 7 Last Words. Along with #44. I have a hard time picking sonatas too, I find them to be uniformly interesting, although far from uniform. My single favorite genre is probably keyboard trios. I have probably every version ever recorded on period instruments (if I'm missing any, I really want to know), and when I'm looking for something to play without any forethought, it is nearly always one of those 'albums'.

Anyway, I can probably fall right in with anyone's choices and feel right at home, even the Lieder and Canzonettas!   :)

8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 29, 2013, 05:29:53 PM
My single favorite genre is probably keyboard trios.

8)

This is the only trio disc I own, it's wonderful. I'm sure I'm missing some good recordings, and other good trios.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 29, 2013, 05:32:53 PM
This is the only trio disc I own, it's wonderful. I'm sure I'm missing some good recordings, and other good trios.

Well, it's trite to say "that's the only one you need", but that's a damn fine disk. The last 4 trios were the pinnacle of his art in that genre, and there are musical elements in them that didn't become standard for 50 years! In addition, Levin and Haydn are muy simpatico, and Bylsma is my favorite cellist bar none. His wife is a pretty fine fiddler too. So maybe I'll risk triteness... nah, shop carefully for a few earlier ones. I don't want to spend your money for you, but the complete Trio 1790 set is available here and there for $50. I paid full price for each disk as it was released  (a hell of a lot more than $50!!) and have not a single regret. You would then have a very fine version of each piece that would enable you to know what to look for if you want to hear other expressions. Just sayin'... :)

8)

kishnevi

Quote from: karlhenning on March 29, 2013, 02:46:43 AM
Well, but unless amazon.it operate differently (which they may) amazon as a policy do not charge for an item until they ship it; and the charge for the Hogwood box landed the same day as this e-mail advisory.

And I recall the Brahms carton coming from a German source, quite speedily, considering.  So 3 April is not crazee talk
: )

My Italian is not of the best, to say the least;  and I'm pretty sure they won't charge before shipment.  The only vendor I deal with who charges at the time of the order and not at the time of shipment is Prestoclassic.      But I think a one week transit time from across the pond is rather speedy; the only vendor who came close to one week from Europe that I can remember was an Amazon MP vendor based in Austria.  Otherwise, JPC, Presto and Amazon France were the quickest, at two to three weeks.

So keep you fingers crossed (however one says that in Italian). 

Thread duty:
Aeolian String Quartet playing Seven Last Words
the Biblical narration is replaced in this recording by English poems (Donne, Herrick, Sitwell, Anonymous and others) read by Peter Pears

ETA: not sure about Pears's contribution, but that sure is one earthquake to end it!