Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 17, 2013, 07:07:29 AM
He was brilliant to contract that, merely by wick-dipping. When they say Schubert was a genius, that's what they're talking about!    >:D

8)

Overrated, I'd say. It was more like a rite of passage back in the day, if one wanted to be an artiste par excellence, no? ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on April 17, 2013, 07:16:35 AM
Overrated, I'd say. It was more like a rite of passage back in the day, if one wanted to be an artiste par excellence, no? ;D

Yes, true enough. Paganini did it too. Scary stuff to me. Scared Straight!  :o

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mandryka

Quote from: orfeo on April 17, 2013, 03:07:27 AM
Random thought re piano trios: I have trios 24 to 31, thanks to the Florestan Trio on Hyperion (Susan Tomes is my idol).

But it annoys the heck out of me that they released 2 volumes and didn't keep Haydn's groupings together.  No.27 is on the disc that also has 24 to 26, instead of being with 28 and 29 like it should be. I mention this because I can see that those Naxos ones have been planned more thoughtfully.

I'm looking at expanding my Haydn symphonies past the 'London' works, and I suspect I may face the same issue.  I've no doubt I can pick up a set of 'Paris' symphonies somewhere, but can I get 76-78 together? Or 79-81? Or 90-92, which did belong together before no.92 became Oxfordised? I'm less hopeful.

You may know that Jordi Savall played  these three symphonies together in a concert in 2009 in the Esterhazy Palace with the Austro-Hungarian Haydn Philharmonic. I have a recording of the concert, which I got through symphonyshare.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Geo Dude

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 17, 2013, 05:38:01 AM
I think that the problem was not that Haydn was actually an angel, but that he was rather discreet and didn't really make a spectacle of himself the way some do. It all depends on ones personal moral compass, of course, whether or not this sort of behavior is objectionable or no. But Haydn, a long time married man, would willingly dally with any warm body that came down the road. There are 5 or 6 ladies who are either documented paramours or else strongly suspected to be, and that is only the ones who managed to let it slip that they were carrying on. Of course, to a lot of people, then and now, this was perfectly normal and fine behavior, so probably not fodder for Entertainment Tonight. But as far as excessive drinking or opium smoking or any of the vices, true enough, he was a dull fellow. Probably that's why he was so damned good at what he did. :)

8)

I was just planning on having some fun with an amusing quote, of course, but having a read a biography of the fellow I do think that it's only fair for one to factor in what his marriage was like when making moral judgements about his extra-marital habits.  I'm normally not the kind to make this sort of argument, but I think that was a pretty extreme situation as far as bad marriages go.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on April 17, 2013, 07:51:34 AM
I was just planning on having some fun with an amusing quote, of course, but having a read a biography of the fellow I do think that it's only fair for one to factor in what his marriage was like when making moral judgements about his extra-marital habits.  I'm normally not the kind to make this sort of argument, but I think that was a pretty extreme situation as far as bad marriages go.

I called MY first wife "The Infernal Beast" too!  Amazing coincidence!  :D

Although he did tell Greisinger that the reason that he played around was not that she was so mean or anything (which may be exaggerated anyway), but it was only when he found out that she couldn't bear children that he began to be more responsive to the attention that he said that women always showered him with.  So it was probably one of those things that you still hear today, where "I got pregnant to straighten him out..." would have been a valid thing, maybe. :-\

8)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Madiel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 17, 2013, 06:07:31 AM
Just choosing to be a composer is accomplishment enough. One could so easily have become an entertainer of more vulgar popularity potential and with the associated vices. Glad you rose above it, Karl (or if you didn't, actually, I hope we don't find out til after you die! :D ).

8)

Meh. The best popular musicians are the ones that write their own stuff anyway.  Although I've had someone argue very hard with me once that I had to call them 'songwriters' instead of 'composers'.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: orfeo on April 17, 2013, 08:24:14 AM
Meh. The best popular musicians are the ones that write their own stuff anyway.  Although I've had someone argue very hard with me once that I had to call them 'songwriters' instead of 'composers'.

Not to worry, I'm not condemning any class or career. Just objectively putting it out there. I have no problem with any songwriter; hell, I can just imagine what I would turn out!!

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: orfeo on April 17, 2013, 08:24:14 AM

Well, FWIW (no, I haven't looked closely at how they distinguish them) the Berklee College of Music have both a Composition and a Songwriting faculty . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

mszczuj

Quote from: Geo Dude on April 17, 2013, 04:57:50 AM
could some kind musicologist please identify hitherto unrevealed nastiness that we can associate with him?"

1) His opinion about his wife
2) History of his skull

Karl Henning

One cannot testify against his or her spouse in court, right? ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

mszczuj

But I don't blame in any way, I'm just saying that there are two nastiness that we can associate with him - not that these were nastiness made by him. One is his wife personality, but we know about her mainly from him, there is no special reason to doubt, but you know husband and wife, we never can be sure, so in fact we have not his wife but only his opinion - that's way I have written what I have written.
The other is probably one of the most nasty stories in the history of music - horror, nothing less. May be this story is the way to make him as famous as he deservs, you now real pop star as Beethoven, Bach and Mozart.

Opus106

Quote from: mszczuj on April 17, 2013, 08:35:37 AM
2) History of his skull

Hadn't heard of this until you mentioned it. Gruesome stuff! Probably not the best thing to read about just before one retires for the night.
Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

Quote from: sanantonio on April 17, 2013, 11:28:20 AM
Unfortunately, that is exactly how I learned of it:  I read in bed just about every night before going to sleep and read the entire account in the Griesinger biography.

Not my idea of relevant information.

Thanks to Wikipedia, I have also seen the pictorial of the re-unification ceremony from a 1954 issue of Life magazine. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

Geo Dude

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on April 20, 2013, 10:15:50 AM

Thoughts on this?

My opinion is that it is the best set out there. That is not a universal opinion (Sarge hates it, for one), but that doesn't stop me from saying so. That box set is by far the best value; I got them 1 at a time on release at an average of $15 each. No regrets though.

FYI (and I think you like this though), it uses a harpsichord in the pre-1770 works rather than a fortepiano. It should do, of course, but I don't think anyone else does so it makes those sound rather unique. :)

8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Geo Dude on April 20, 2013, 10:15:50 AM

Thoughts on this?

Well, I own the other sets of these works inserted above - NOW, I have the Trio 1790 in other recordings and really enjoy - I cannot imagine that these Haydn trios w/ that group would not please me - in fact, if I could find a cheap price - might make a purchase.  I also love the CPO label and have many of their 'box sets' - my only complaint (because of a storage issue) is that the company tends to just put a LOT of jewel boxes together in rather bulky package, but HEY the music is good!  Dave :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 20, 2013, 02:32:45 PM
Well, I own the other sets of these works inserted above - NOW, I have the Trio 1790 in other recordings and really enjoy - I cannot imagine that these Haydn trios w/ that group would not please me - in fact, if I could find a cheap price - might make a purchase.  I also love the CPO label and have many of their 'box sets' - my only complaint (because of a storage issue) is that the company tends to just put a LOT of jewel boxes together in rather bulky package, but HEY the music is good!  Dave :)

3.4" of shelf space is all it is, Dave  ::)

:D

But seriously, I agree with you. I hadn't seen the box, but if it's like other cpo boxes, it'll just be the jewel cases in a slipcover. You could easily pit 9 (vol 8 is a double disk) disks in sleeves and with a nice, consolidated booklet in 1" of space. Cheaper for them, too.   :-\

8)

SonicMan46

Hey Gurn - well, I'll keep my eye out for a good price on the CPO offering (or when I get another Amazon gift card!) - I really like that group!

BUT, a new arrival today - will start tomorrow - 6 discs!  NOW, I already own much of this music - maybe a need to cull some - don't know - nothing wrong w/ having multiple versions (don't really want to 'dump' my Ricercar 2-CD set of the octets - an OLD friend!) - Dave :)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 20, 2013, 02:37:55 PM
But seriously, I agree with you. I hadn't seen the box, but if it's like other cpo boxes, it'll just be the jewel cases in a slipcover. You could easily pit 9 (vol 8 is a double disk) disks in sleeves and with a nice, consolidated booklet in 1" of space. Cheaper for them, too.   :-\

No, not jewel cases here. It's a slim cardboard box and paper envelopes.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on April 20, 2013, 02:59:36 PM
No, not jewel cases here. It's a slim cardboard box and paper envelopes.

Hi GS - thanks for that information - I'll definitely put that on my 'wish list' - Dave :)