Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakefield

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 20, 2013, 03:02:36 PM
Hi GS - thanks for that information - I'll definitely put that on my 'wish list' - Dave :)

My pleasure, dear SM46:)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on April 20, 2013, 02:59:36 PM
No, not jewel cases here. It's a slim cardboard box and paper envelopes.

Oh, that's really excellent, Gordo. I hope they gave some sort of liner notes along with. IIRC, the ones in the originals were pretty good. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Geo Dude

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 20, 2013, 10:26:23 AM
My opinion is that it is the best set out there. That is not a universal opinion (Sarge hates it, for one), but that doesn't stop me from saying so. That box set is by far the best value; I got them 1 at a time on release at an average of $15 each. No regrets though.

FYI (and I think you like this though), it uses a harpsichord in the pre-1770 works rather than a fortepiano. It should do, of course, but I don't think anyone else does so it makes those sound rather unique. :)

8)
Excellent, Gurn.  I'll make sure to pick it up...one of these days... :P (Price and all.)

The harpsichord bit is good to know and yes I do like that. :)  I had the Van Swieten Trio on hand but sold it off when I bought the complete Haydn edition....then ended up having to sell that. (D'OH!)  I didn't quite click with it the way I expected to anyway and this set may be just what I need.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on April 20, 2013, 04:21:26 PM

Excellent, Gurn.  I'll make sure to pick it up...one of these days... :P (Price and all.)

The harpsichord bit is good to know and yes I do like that. :)  I had the Van Swieten Trio on hand but sold it off when I bought the complete Haydn edition....then ended up having to sell that. (D'OH!)  I didn't quite click with it the way I expected to anyway and this set may be just what I need.

I admire the Van Sweiten set, but the 1790 set is sort of like the round peg that fits perfectly into the round hole for me. Every thing about it is just what I would have hoped for, sound-wise, tempo-wise etc.

I have seen it quite recently on eBay brand new for between $50 & $60. Not a giveaway, of course, but  for 9 disks, really pretty fair. :)  Of course, I've also seen it for $75+, but that's unnecessary. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Geo Dude

I don't think the price is unfair, doesn't mean I can easily afford it, though. ;)  Especially with so much other great stuff out there.  In any case, I'll definitely pick up this set when I get the chance.  Your tastes and mine have only been misaligned once that I know of and I doubt it will happen again, at least with this set.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on April 20, 2013, 05:00:13 PM
I don't think the price is unfair, doesn't mean I can easily afford it, though. ;)  Especially with so much other great stuff out there.  In any case, I'll definitely pick up this set when I get the chance.  Your tastes and mine have only been misaligned once that I know of and I doubt it will happen again, at least with this set.

Roger that! That Beethoven stuff has shipped already, looking forward to that, too! :)

8)

TheGSMoeller

Purchased a few days ago. My first foray (finally) into the Baryton Trios.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on April 20, 2013, 06:08:47 PM

Purchased a few days ago. My first foray (finally) into the Baryton Trios.

That was MY first foray into the Baryton Trios too! I think it's a very fine disk, still one of my favorites. :)

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 20, 2013, 04:01:49 PM
Oh, that's really excellent, Gordo. I hope they gave some sort of liner notes along with. IIRC, the ones in the originals were pretty good. :)

8)

It includes the original liner notes, so nothing is lost, Gurn:)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Mandryka

Vol 8 of the Trio 1790 set is streamable in spotify ans qobuz and probably elsewhere, so it's easy to listen to. Maybe the rest will follow. I listened to it last night, and I think they're very very good. I've ordered the whole box, thanks for mentioning it.

The CD 8 I heard contains some early trios and some later ones. It's impressive the way they make the earlier music sound so interesting and exciting. The G minor Trio Hob 15/1 (1766) sounded wonderful and fresh. Great music.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Geo Dude

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 20, 2013, 05:03:26 PM
Roger that! That Beethoven stuff has shipped already, looking forward to that, too! :)

8)

Good to know, good to know.  I hope you enjoy them.

By the way, I realize your Haydn Blog thread isn't really intended as a Q&A type thing per se, but for the new comers maybe you could do a short write up on the key differences in style between Haydn and Mozart. :)

EDIT:  While I'm badgering you about stuff, any suggestions for solo discs of Haydn's sonatas on harpsichord other than Robert Hill's disc of sonatas and divertimenti?  It's good stuff but the guy is a speed demon and it'd be great to have a single disc release on hand that I could toss in the stereo when I'm not in the mood for that.

SonicMan46

Quote from: Geo Dude on April 20, 2013, 11:06:23 PM
EDIT:  While I'm badgering you about stuff, any suggestions for solo discs of Haydn's sonatas on harpsichord other than Robert Hill's disc of sonatas and divertimenti?  It's good stuff but the guy is a speed demon and it'd be great to have a single disc release on hand that I could toss in the stereo when I'm not in the mood for that.

Not sure about 'solo' disc, but there are several boxes w/ lots of harpsichord (and some clavichord) - the Tom Beghin offering is the less expensive choice on Amazon at the moment - but browsing there a few moments ago brought up a single Centaur disc w/ several good reviews - will be curious if our Papa fans have comments on that one (or others) - good luck in your choice(s) - Dave :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 21, 2013, 08:00:05 AM
Not sure about 'solo' disc, but there are several boxes w/ lots of harpsichord (and some clavichord) - the Tom Beghin offering is the less expensive choice on Amazon at the moment - but browsing there a few moments ago brought up a single Centaur disc w/ several good reviews - will be curious if our Papa fans have comments on that one (or others) - good luck in your choice(s) - Dave :)

Dave & Geo,
Yes, this is just the disk I was going to recommend. Oddly enough Schenkman also has a second Haydn disk, but it is on modern piano. Anyway, these are some nice pieces here, ranging in time from 1765-7. This was the very earliest point where he was working out Stürm und Dräng principles, and his keyboard sonatas from that period, while not S & D per se, are technically and in content more advanced than his earlier works, which were primarily for teaching his students with. Schenkman is a very capable player and I fel like he brings some good stuff to the table in this disk. I'm glad I bought it. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on April 21, 2013, 08:26:41 AM
This is a good single disc

[asin]B004O0UZ6Q[/asin]

Er, not on harpsichord. 

::)

True enough, not on harpsichord. However, one of my top 2 or 3 favorite disks though. Bilson is as good as it gets on the fortepiano. :)

8)

Mandryka

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 21, 2013, 08:17:24 AM
Dave & Geo,
Yes, this is just the disk I was going to recommend. Oddly enough Schenkman also has a second Haydn disk, but it is on modern piano. Anyway, these are some nice pieces here, ranging in time from 1765-7. This was the very earliest point where he was working out Stürm und Dräng principles, and his keyboard sonatas from that period, while not S & D per se, are technically and in content more advanced than his earlier works, which were primarily for teaching his students with. Schenkman is a very capable player and I fel like he brings some good stuff to the table in this disk. I'm glad I bought it. :)

8)

Have you, or anyone else, heard Lars Ulrick Mortensen's CD of sonatas?

James Wright Webber has recorded many many Haydn sonata CDs on a  harpsichord. He's not a speed demon. Whenever I've  dipped in I've thought the performances were inoffensive, friendly and congenial, but I've certainly not listened to the whole shooting match.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mandryka on April 21, 2013, 09:08:33 AM
Have you, or anyone else, heard Lars Ulrick Mortensen's CD of sonatas?

Sorry, not me. :(      I'll check it out though.   :)

8)

Mandryka

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 21, 2013, 09:10:25 AM
Sorry, not me. :(      I'll check it out though.   :)

8)

I'm very tempted to buy it, but the downloads which would provide the desirable  instant gratification are all a bit low quality. If anyone knows where I can find a decent quality download please let me know.

Othetwise I'll have to order a CD and that seems sooooooo old fashioned.

Mandryka

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 21, 2013, 08:30:15 AM
True enough, not on harpsichord. However, one of my top 2 or 3 favorite disks though. Bilson is as good as it gets on the fortepiano. :)

8)

Agreed

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mandryka on April 21, 2013, 09:14:41 AM
I'm very tempted to buy it, but the downloads which would provide the desirable  instant gratification are all a bit low quality. If anyone knows where I can find a decent quality download please let me know.

Othetwise I'll have to order a CD and that seems sooooooo old fashioned.

:D  I can live with old fashioned. Not like it's 78's.....   ;)

8)

Geo Dude

Sonicman:  I have both of those sets on hand, I just thought that a single disc offering might try to make for a better selection of works than going one disc at a time through a box set.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around harpsichord in the classical period so I'd prefer a single disc offering before I make my way through a box set.  Thanks, though, I'll see if I can fit that Schenkman disc into next month's orders.

sanantonio:  No harm does.  Can't have too many (good) period Haydn sonatas and I love fortepianos. :D

RE: Mortensen:  He has a reputation as an excellent Bachian harpsichordist--albeit one whose recordings are hard to find, a trait that seems to apply to his Haydn disc--but I have no idea what his Haydn is like.  In any case, it seems that we may have to draw straws or play rock, paper, scissors to see who gets to buy the used copies on Amazon at a semi-reasonable price. :P