Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on April 21, 2013, 02:08:20 PM
RE: Mortensen:  He has a reputation as an excellent Bachian harpsichordist--albeit one whose recordings are hard to find, a trait that seems to apply to his Haydn disc--but I have no idea what his Haydn is like.  In any case, it seems that we may have to draw straws or play rock, paper, scissors to see who gets to buy the used copies on Amazon at a semi-reasonable price. :P

I bought it from iDeals for $15.25 + s&h. New. They have been pretty reliable for me so far, generally their price is as low as any and their shipping is modestly quick. I would have preferred Classical Music Superstore; surprised they weren't the ones carrying this rather obscure label. Report back by Saturday next, I expect.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Geo Dude

Ah, good to know that it's not OoP.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on April 21, 2013, 03:10:48 PM
Ah, good to know that it's not OoP.

Well, frankly I hadn't heard of him before, Mandrake's post stirred a faint memory of something I read in a Bach thread so I pursued it.

There are actually quite a few very good cembalo disks out there, but I try to remain with things you could actually find!

I couldn't have you out looking around for Gudrun Dengler, after all, if you weren't going to find her!   :)

In addition, I have at least 2 or 3 others where the player uses either harpsichord, clavichord or fortepiano as the case may be. Those aren't all confined to big box sets; single or double disks are well treated too. Let me know if you might like to see some of those too. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

kishnevi

Quote from: sanantonio on April 21, 2013, 10:26:13 AM
Didn't Staier record a disc of Haydn sonatas?

The Answer is yes, but OOP.  However it can be found on Spotify.

Not sure how it lines up with the issue you show, but the DHM 10 CD "Andreas Staier Edition" budget box contains two CDs of Haydn:  Hoboken XVI/48-52 on one CD, and Hoboken XVI/35-39 and 20 on the other.
[which, by the bye, can now be found on Amazon MP for under 20 USD, shipping included.]
[asin]B005L12SI0[/asin]

Mandryka

I know Mortensen solo playing through recordings of Bach and Buxtehude. He's imaginative, informed, good humoured and not a speed demon. I've ordered the CD too, so thanks for raising the initial question about Haydn on the harpsichord, Geo Dude.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mandryka on April 21, 2013, 09:54:25 PM
I know Mortensen solo playing through recordings of Bach and Buxtehude. He's imaginative, informed, good humoured and not a speed demon. I've ordered the CD too, so thanks for raising the initial question about Haydn on the harpsichord, Geo Dude.

Yes, after you brought his name up I thought about it a while and realized I must have seen it in either the Bach thread or the Harpsichord one. I'm not likely to have acquired it from either of those recs, but when you start talking Haydn.... :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on April 21, 2013, 07:07:29 PM
Not sure how it lines up with the issue you show, but the DHM 10 CD "Andreas Staier Edition" budget box contains two CDs of Haydn:  Hoboken XVI/48-52 on one CD, and Hoboken XVI/35-39 and 20 on the other.
[which, by the bye, can now be found on Amazon MP for under 20 USD, shipping included.]
[asin]B005L12SI0[/asin]

It will be 2 of the 3 disks in that other box. The third disk is mainly variations and such.

These are the 3 original disks, they are disappointingly difficult to round up.  I am frankly surprised to discover that the consolidated 3 disk box is OOP...  :-\

8)

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 22, 2013, 04:21:33 AM
These are the 3 original disks, they are disappointingly difficult to round up.  I am frankly surprised to discover that the consolidated 3 disk box is OOP...  :-\

8)

Much of DHM has been OOP for some time. It's only in the last year or two that some of those recordings have been trickling back via those boxes.

Speaking of single disc of Haydn sonatas (although on a fortepiano), how is this one?:

[asin]B000F6YWV2[/asin]
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Quote from: Opus106 on April 22, 2013, 06:24:54 AM
Speaking of single disc of Haydn sonatas (although on a fortepiano), how is this one?:

[asin]B000F6YWV2[/asin]

I, too, am interested in any response. The sample clips certainly sound nice.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on April 22, 2013, 06:24:54 AM
Much of DHM has been OOP for some time. It's only in the last year or two that some of those recordings have been trickling back via those boxes.

[asin]B000F6YWV2[/asin]

I enjoy that one quite a lot. She is a very capable and expressive player, and her piano has a nice sound to it. I like her version of Hob 17:6 as well as any that I have, except Badura-Skoda's, which is the one in my chronology now. :)

8)

SonicMan46

Thanks Guys for all of those suggestions on the 'keyboard' sonatas - not sure w/ what I now own that I need to 'buy into' a bunch more, BUT I may just go ahead and download the Schenkman & Bilson recordings ($18 total on Amazon w/ probably $2 credit) - will load them onto my iPod & also burn to a single MP3 CD-R which I can play on my den stereo - Dave :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: SonicMan46 on April 22, 2013, 06:55:22 AM
. . . also burn to a single MP3 CD-R which I can play on my den stereo - Dave :)

Thanks for this . . . I had completely forgotten that I can do the same with my little Cambridge Soundworks jigger at home . . ..
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 22, 2013, 06:36:27 AM
I enjoy that one quite a lot. She is a very capable and expressive player, and her piano has a nice sound to it. I like her version of Hob 17:6 as well as any that I have, except Badura-Skoda's, which is the one in my chronology now. :)

8)

Thank you, Gurn. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Wakefield

Quote from: Geo Dude on April 20, 2013, 11:06:23 PM
EDIT:  While I'm badgering you about stuff, any suggestions for solo discs of Haydn's sonatas on harpsichord other than Robert Hill's disc of sonatas and divertimenti?  It's good stuff but the guy is a speed demon and it'd be great to have a single disc release on hand that I could toss in the stereo when I'm not in the mood for that.

I have planned to acquire this one:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Joseph-Haydn-1732-1809-Klaviersonaten-H16-Nr-20233237/hnum/8590081

:)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Mandryka

Quote from: Geo Dude on April 20, 2013, 11:06:23 PM

EDIT:  While I'm badgering you about stuff, any suggestions for solo discs of Haydn's sonatas on harpsichord other than Robert Hill's disc of sonatas and divertimenti?  It's good stuff but the giuy is a speed demon and it'd be great to have a single disc release on hand that I could toss in the stereo when I'm not in the mood for that.

I don't think that's totally fair.

Geo Dude

Quote from: Mandryka on April 22, 2013, 09:40:19 AM
I don't think that's totally fair.

Perhaps the works he is playing require one to be a speed demon; I'm not familiar with his playing outside of this recording.  All I can say is that all the extremely fast movements tend to blend together after a while.

Mandryka

I certainly think that the outer movements of sonata 10 could have been more differentiated in terms of tempo, that he could have taken the third movement more slowly. Elsewhere I can't remember having reservations.
I'll just mention here that I think those very early sonatas work better on clavichord. Yuko Wataya's perforance seems more poetic than Robert Hill's there -- he/she (?) uses clavichord and part of the reason for the increased poetry has to be that the instrument is so beautiful in terms of colours and dynamics.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mandryka on April 22, 2013, 09:59:47 AM
I certainly think that the outer movements of sonata 10 could have been more differentiated in terms of tempo, that he could have taken the third movement more slowly. Elsewhere I can't remember having reservations.
I'll just mention here that I think those very early sonatas work better on clavichord. Yuko Wataya's perforance seems more poetic than Robert Hill's there -- he/she (?) uses clavichord and part of the reason for the increased poetry has to be that the instrument is so beautiful in terms of colours and dynamics.

Yes, Ms. Wataya is excellent throughout. This is the disk set that I mainly used in my chronology, and what I was talking about in  my post last night about disks that use more than one instrument. I have a couple of others too (Carole Cerasi and Ulrika Davidsson stand out in my memory) where multiple instruments are used as needed. I like it as a concept. :)  In any case, I think that Wataya disk is a must have. She is indeed poetic.

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on April 22, 2013, 09:05:06 AM
I have planned to acquire this one:

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Joseph-Haydn-1732-1809-Klaviersonaten-H16-Nr-20233237/hnum/8590081

:)

That seems intriguing, Gordo. I'll have to see if I can find it without resorting to Germany.   :)  Thanks for the tip!

8)

Geo Dude

Thanks for the tip, Mandryka.  I've wishlisted the clavichord disc.