Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandryka

Well the Mortemsen CD arrived three days and I've been dipping in from time to time. I liked the textures in Hon16/24, where the speed of the harpsichord made this familiar music sound quite fresh to me. In Hob 16/31 I'm less sure what to think. I compared Mortensen with Beghin, who uses a piano, and straight away you can hear how eloquent Beghin is.

I'm not saying I like Beghin style. Sometimes in 31/i  I felt as though he made the music sound a bit goofy. But I may change my mind. I certainly wouldn't mind reading Beghin's papers on rhetoric in Haydn.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on April 26, 2013, 08:54:28 AM
That book is excellent, and contains many other essays besides his.

In addition to the book that he ditied, he also contributed this lengthy essay to the book edited by Elaine Sisman calle Haydn and His World. That's where I first became acquainted with his ideas.

http://books.google.com/books?id=omPuBn8pTFUC&pg=PA201&lpg=PA201&dq=beghin+haydn+rhetoric&source=bl&ots=1GCKpx7ZWs&sig=yOpIlctCKASZP4IX2lSq-n54B6Q&hl=en&sa=X&ei=5sF6UfX-GeKaiAL92YD4DQ&ved=0CFAQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=beghin%20haydn%20rhetoric&f=false

That will let you read at least the beginning of it, possibly the entire, I don't know. Anyway, that is another very interesting book, available at Amazon and well-worth looking at.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on April 26, 2013, 10:35:52 AM
Looks like I've stumbled upon another period instrument group doing Haydn keyboard trios:

HAYDN: Keyboard Trios Nos. 13, 25, 27, and 32

Trio Franz Joseph

So far sounds very good.

Yes, a very nice disk indeed. Although if I had known you were looking, I would have long ago rec'd this one;

which is really quite excellent. Not sure if any streaming services have it, but Amazon does. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 26, 2013, 10:48:30 AM
Yes, a very nice disk indeed. Although if I had known you were looking, I would have long ago rec'd this one;

which is really quite excellent. Not sure if any streaming services have it, but Amazon does. :)

8)

Just sampled this, and it will be purchased very soon. What a delightful sounding trio. And No.24 in D Major is included (my favorite) so it's already a winner.  ;)

Geo Dude

Gotta love mentioning a Hadyn or Mozart disc to Gurn; he invariably already owns it and has several recommendations for related discs no one else has heard of in mind. :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on April 26, 2013, 01:56:31 PM
Gotta love mentioning a Hadyn or Mozart disc to Gurn; he invariably already owns it and has several recommendations for related discs no one else has heard of in mind. :D

:)

Well, here's one that got mentioned to ME, which I got yesterday:

I haven't listened to it yet since (and here's a note to you streamers) it came as 5 tracks instead of 15. I always hate that. So I had to rip it, chunk it up in Audacity, then tag it out. Haven't had to do that for a while. Anyway, it's in the queue for tonight. I'm looking forward to it!

And this one, playing now;

which I'm guessing will be as new to y'all as it is to me! This is possibly a set actually commissioned by Musical Heritage, since others that I have say 'Licensed from Whoever' quite clearly. This one only says 'Manufactured by Nimbus'. Anyway, this particular box is a 3 disk set of the first 15 trios on them, as you notice they are accompanied by harpsichord, joining Trio 1790 in that exclusive club. And it even includes Hob 39, which is made up of 5 discrete Triosatzen and the only other version I have of that is by Oort on the fortepiano. So that was an unexpected bonus. Of course, the ultimate bonus is that I got it 'Used - Like New' on the AMP for $1 + s&h, for a total of $4!! Seriously, you can't beat that.

As for the playing, I have other disks by the Gamerith Consort and have always enjoyed them much. They are ultimately authentic sounding, no PI poseurs need apply.  :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Oh, and I forgot to mention this one that arrived yesterday also;

This simulated recital was recorded in 2008, and it seems Quasthoff has taken a real shine to Haydn since then, appearing at Esterháza in 2009 for the bicentennial festival, for example. I've just listened to a couple of cuts from this, it consists of 2 replacement arias (most were for his soprano mistress and other sopranos, and a few others for tenor) and the balance are highlights from the various bass arias in his (mostly late) operas. His voice is as good as I remembered it, and the Freiburg Baroque provide fine accompaniment. More on this once I have a chance for a good listening and some digesting.

8)

Geo Dude

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 28, 2013, 01:13:22 PM

which I'm guessing will be as new to y'all as it is to me! This is possibly a set actually commissioned by Musical Heritage, since others that I have say 'Licensed from Whoever' quite clearly. This one only says 'Manufactured by Nimbus'. Anyway, this particular box is a 3 disk set of the first 15 trios on them, as you notice they are accompanied by harpsichord, joining Trio 1790 in that exclusive club. And it even includes Hob 39, which is made up of 5 discrete Triosatzen and the only other version I have of that is by Oort on the fortepiano. So that was an unexpected bonus. Of course, the ultimate bonus is that I got it 'Used - Like New' on the AMP for $1 + s&h, for a total of $4!! Seriously, you can't beat that.

Three volume set you say?  Cheap on the market place you say?  FOUL LIES! ;D

And not that I shot off like a rocket upon seeing that to order all three volumes or anything 0:), but at least one is labeled as being from Musical Heritage Society.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on April 28, 2013, 07:44:50 PM
Three volume set you say?  Cheap on the market place you say?  FOUL LIES! ;D

And not that I shot off like a rocket upon seeing that to order all three volumes or anything 0:), but at least one is labeled as being from Musical Heritage Society.

My post says all that, but one need only look at the picture and it's all there too!  :)  When I bought this one (~ a week ago), there were at least 2 or 3 more for a similar price. Now, there are more volumes to the set. They are not all 3 disk boxes, but I bought Vol. 3 and haven't got it yet, but I paid $8, and I believe it is a 2 disk set. In typical Amazon fashion, there are no details about it.  :-\

8)

Karl Henning

"PI poseurs" . . . scoundrels!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Geo Dude

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 29, 2013, 04:11:39 AM
My post says all that, but one need only look at the picture and it's all there too!  :)  When I bought this one (~ a week ago), there were at least 2 or 3 more for a similar price. Now, there are more volumes to the set. They are not all 3 disk boxes, but I bought Vol. 3 and haven't got it yet, but I paid $8, and I believe it is a 2 disk set. In typical Amazon fashion, there are no details about it.  :-\

Forgive me for misreading bits of your post.  At the time I wrote it I was almost literally tripping over my fingers to get to Amazon and order everything I could from that set for cheap before it went away so my brain was running on auto-pilot. :-[

For what it's worth, my Amazon-fu skills produced three volumes which seemed to cover roughly 2/3rds of the piano trios along with an (expensive) single disc that I think duplicates some of the stuff from the box sets; if it doesn't duplicate material it also doesn't provide enough to complete the collection.  I'm assuming you already found that disc, though.  It's possible that there's a volume four hiding somewhere, but it's also possible that the recording/funding ran out of steam.  It's hard to tell with obscure releases like these.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on April 29, 2013, 10:19:53 AM
Forgive me for misreading bits of your post.  At the time I wrote it I was almost literally tripping over my fingers to get to Amazon and order everything I could from that set for cheap before it went away so my brain was running on auto-pilot. :-[

For what it's worth, my Amazon-fu skills produced three volumes which seemed to cover roughly 2/3rds of the piano trios along with an (expensive) single disc that I think duplicates some of the stuff from the box sets; if it doesn't duplicate material it also doesn't provide enough to complete the collection.  I'm assuming you already found that disc, though.  It's possible that there's a volume four hiding somewhere, but it's also possible that the recording/funding ran out of steam.  It's hard to tell with obscure releases like these.

Well, I saw today that the Vol. 3 I bought the other day is now out of stock. No telling about it coming back   :(  This is what's on it:

Landon         Hob      Key
1793   32               18     A
1793   33               19     g
1793   34               20     Bb
1794   35               21     C
1794   36               22     Eb
1794   37               23     d

So, a double disk as I suspected. Clearly there must be a Volume 4 also. Love to find that, and Vol 2 also.

Did you find Vol 1?  Surely someone didn't beat you to it!  It was only 4 or 5 days from when I bought mine. :-\

8)

Gurn Blanston

Had a first listen to this one tonight;

Mortensen is every bit as good as the Barokistos say he is!  I greatly enjoyed his performances, mainly because he ornaments as needed, not holding back from doing so for some pedagogical reason. I am absolutely sure that Haydn would have expected him to ornament. Maybe not quite this well though. :)

For those among us who favor Hob 32/Landon 47 in b minor, take a moment to enjoy the Presto finale. It is as good as I've ever heard it played. In fact, prestos seem to be his forte, all of them are super!

8)

Geo Dude

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 29, 2013, 06:13:38 PM
Well, I saw today that the Vol. 3 I bought the other day is now out of stock. No telling about it coming back   :(  This is what's on it:

Landon         Hob      Key
1793   32               18     A
1793   33               19     g
1793   34               20     Bb
1794   35               21     C
1794   36               22     Eb
1794   37               23     d

So, a double disk as I suspected. Clearly there must be a Volume 4 also. Love to find that, and Vol 2 also.

Did you find Vol 1?  Surely someone didn't beat you to it!  It was only 4 or 5 days from when I bought mine. :-\

8)

I found and ordered vols. 1, 2 and 3. :D

I've googled around for info on a volume 4, but it seems to be so rare that no record exists on the internet. :P  In any case, 2/3rds of a full cycle for under $25 shipped isn't too much to complain about, even if volume four never surfaces.

Nice to hear the good news on the Mortensen disc.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 29, 2013, 06:13:38 PM
. . . Did you find Vol 1?  Surely someone didn't beat you to it!  It was only 4 or 5 days from when I bought mine. :-\

8)

To what shall we liken demand for Haydn? A flash flood, a consuming flame . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on April 30, 2013, 01:40:28 AM
To what shall we liken demand for Haydn? A flash flood, a consuming flame . . . .

Gosh, I hope so.... :)

8)

Karl Henning

A bit unusually, I drove in to Boston this morning. And what CD should I pop in for the commute? the Hogwood/AAM account of the "Alleluia" Symphony. Beautiful!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on April 29, 2013, 07:29:17 PM
I found and ordered vols. 1, 2 and 3. :D

I've googled around for info on a volume 4, but it seems to be so rare that no record exists on the internet. :P  In any case, 2/3rds of a full cycle for under $25 shipped isn't too much to complain about, even if volume four never surfaces.

Nice to hear the good news on the Mortensen disc.

Excellent!  I'll dig around a bit more for vol 2 then. Volume 4, at least, has works that have been recorded by everyone else. The works on the first 2 volumes, and particularly the first one are rarely recorded at all, and then, even more rarely on the correct instrument. So this is a nice find.

Yes, I was quite pleased with that disk. It'll be back in the queue very shortly. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on April 30, 2013, 04:09:00 AM
A bit unusually, I drove in to Boston this morning. And what CD should I pop in for the commute? the Hogwood/AAM account of the "Alleluia" Symphony. Beautiful!

Life is good sometimes. That should make your whole day brighter!

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 30, 2013, 04:17:32 AM
Excellent!  I'll dig around a bit more for vol 2 then. Volume 4, at least, has works that have been recorded by everyone else. The works on the first 2 volumes, and particularly the first one are rarely recorded at all, and then, even more rarely on the correct instrument. So this is a nice find.

Yes, I was quite pleased with that disk. It'll be back in the queue very shortly. :)

8)

OK, well I just got Vol. 2 also. I see it is "Eight Late Trios" so they weren't chronological that way. WHich means that Vol 4 contains the ones that I would really like to have. *sigh*  "Time to Hunt".....

8)