Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LKB and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 03, 2013, 03:04:06 AM
This is on the Cleveland Orchestra's Facebook page today:

:D ;D :D

Koopman is conducting a Mozart/Haydn program this week, ending with the Farewell. How cool is that? Makes me wish I were home!

CLEVELAND ORCHESTRA
Saturday, May 4, 2013
8:00 PM
Severance Hall

Ton Koopman, conductor

MOZART - Symphony No. 1
FISCHER - Symphony with Eight Obbligato Timpani
MOZART - Symphony No. 17
REBEL - Overture from Les élémens
HAYDN - Symphony No. 45 ("Farewell")

Sarge

Man, would I love to go there! Dagnabbit, why Cleveland? Why not Nacogdoches?  :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Wakefield

Quote from: sanantonio on May 03, 2013, 07:33:15 AM
Just saw this on NML

HAYDN | String Quartets, Vol. 3 (Schuppanzigh-Quartett) - Nos. 25, 43, 59

Op. 54, No. 1, Hob.III:58
Op. 20, No. 2, Hob.III:32
Op. 74, No. 3, Hob.III:74

One of my favorite 4tets doing Haydn.

I wonder if people prefer this kind of mixed program or the usual chronological approach.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on May 03, 2013, 07:37:45 AM
I wonder if people prefer this kind of mixed program or the usual chronological approach.

Depends on my mood. I have a variety of disks in this format (Smithson Quartet, Amsterdam Quartet, Esterházy Quartet &c) and am often in the mood for a mixed recital sort of a programme. Other times I just stick on an entire opus and let 'er rip.  I'm happy either way. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Just saw this on NML

Way back when Vol 2 was released, there was an advert inside for volume 3, including a catalog number and all. It was reputedly already in the can. If so, it sure has been a long time in the birthing process!  Thanks for this info, it shall be mine!!

8)

Sergeant Rock

Just saw this on NML

Includes two of my Top 10 Haydn Quartets. Looks like a purchase.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 03, 2013, 07:44:15 AM
Depends on my mood. I have a variety of disks in this format (Smithson Quartet, Amsterdam Quartet, Esterházy Quartet &c) and am often in the mood for a mixed recital sort of a programme. Other times I just stick on an entire opus and let 'er rip.  I'm happy either way. :)

8)

The question aroused because yesterday I was watching an interview to K. Bezuidenhout. He said his Mozart cycle of solo keyboard music (DHM USA) will include 9 volumes, all of them with this kind of programmatic variety. BTW, all the juvenilia will be excluded.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on May 03, 2013, 07:57:29 AM
The question aroused because yesterday I was watching an interview to K. Bezuidenhout. He said his Mozart cycle of solo keyboard music (DHM USA) will include 9 volumes, all of them with this kind of programmatic variety. BTW, all the juvenilia will be excluded.

Interesting. That's what Beghin did with Haydn too, BTW. Each disk+ is a 'session' of things that are related by more than chronology.

FWIW, Mozart's solo keyboard 'juvenilia' is virtually non-existent, excepting the London Sketchbook. So he won't be overlooking much. :)

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 03, 2013, 08:04:02 AM
Interesting. That's what Beghin did with Haydn too, BTW. Each disk+ is a 'session' of things that are related by more than chronology.

FWIW, Mozart's solo keyboard 'juvenilia' is virtually non-existent, excepting the London Sketchbook. So he won't be overlooking much. :)

8)

This is not the right place, but these are two excellent interviews that I watched yesterday. The second one includes the reference to his DHM USA project. I'm not sure the exact extension that the "mature" output will have for these purposes:

http://www.youtube.com/v/TWADEJ2YGtA

http://www.youtube.com/v/qmokIN4g1kA
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 03, 2013, 08:04:02 AM

Taking advantage that I'm at home, I have revised the listing of Bart van Oort.

His disc "Mozart's Childhood" (CD11, 70 min.) includes: Eight Variations KV. 24 (1766), London Sketchbook K. 15 (1765), Ballet Music [from Ascanio in Alba KV. 111 (known as Nine Pieces for Piano, KV. Anh. 207) (1771?)] & Seven Variations KV. 25 (1766).

Additionally, there is a disc of "Early Sonatas and Variations" (CD6, 1773-1775) and the sonatas KV. 282-284, all of them written before his 20s. Chronologically all of this would usually be considered juvenilia, but in this case I doubt it.  :)   

-- Voltaire

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 03, 2013, 06:25:19 AM
Man, would I love to go there! Dagnabbit, why Cleveland? Why not Nacogdoches?  :-\

Gurn - you might have to add some extra instruments to draw a crowd -  ;) :D

BUT, Haydn & Mozart would probably have been pleased - Dave :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on May 03, 2013, 08:50:39 AM
Taking advantage that I'm at home, I have revised the listing of Bart van Oort.

His disc "Mozart's Childhood" (CD11, 70 min.) includes: Eight Variations KV. 24 (1766), London Sketchbook K. 15 (1765), Ballet Music [from Ascanio in Alba KV. 111 (known as Nine Pieces for Piano, KV. Anh. 207) (1771?)] & Seven Variations KV. 25 (1766).

Additionally, there is a disc of "Early Sonatas and Variations" (CD6, 1773-1775) and the sonatas KV. 282-284, all of them written before his 20s. Chronologically all of this would usually be considered juvenilia, but in this case I doubt it.  :)

That's an interesting set. The ballet music is a world premiere, I would like to have it. The 2 variations sets are generally available. They are typical for their time, neither good nor bad. The other things, it's true are as you say, chronologically juvenilia, but in Mozart's special case are anything but. His first 'official' sonatas, the Mannheim ones (K279-283), are very sophisticated pieces, surpassing 90% of what was out there at the time.

Of course, none of this is Haydn.... :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on May 03, 2013, 10:17:23 AM
Gurn - you might have to add some extra instruments to draw a crowd -  ;) :D

BUT, Haydn & Mozart would probably have been pleased - Dave :)

Oh, the House Specialty; "Mariachi Mozart"  :D

8)

Madiel

When it comes to the vast riches of Haydn, I think it's reasonable to try mixed programs.

So long as I can buy 'em all as a complete set eventually...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Geo Dude

It depends; I enjoy a recital format if a group (or individual) is doing single discs recordings of repertoire and then moving on, but if I'm dealing with a box set I prefer things to be in roughly chronological order.  The programming on the Alban Berg Quartet's recording of Beethoven's string quartets drives me nuts, for example.

kishnevi

Quote from: Geo Dude on May 05, 2013, 05:41:31 AM
It depends; I enjoy a recital format if a group (or individual) is doing single discs recordings of repertoire and then moving on, but if I'm dealing with a box set I prefer things to be in roughly chronological order.  The programming on the Alban Berg Quartet's recording of Beethoven's string quartets drives me nuts, for example.

Do be aware that the Artemis Quartet also mixes up the chronological order (unless they assembled the box set differently from the individual releases, which is how I have their cycle). Of course, with full set in hand, you could simply skip around the various CDs and play the works in chronological order.

Geo Dude

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 05, 2013, 05:42:34 PM
Do be aware that the Artemis Quartet also mixes up the chronological order (unless they assembled the box set differently from the individual releases, which is how I have their cycle). Of course, with full set in hand, you could simply skip around the various CDs and play the works in chronological order.

Thanks for the tip; as far as I can tell from looking at images they've mostly rearranged things to be in order.

In other news the Op. 76 quartets in the Mosaiques set are ridiculously good...any suggestions for other recordings? :D

TheGSMoeller

Posted this in the listening now thread, wanted to share it in the Haus, because every good Haus Mate should obtain this...

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 03, 2013, 02:24:56 PM
Finally arrived from Presto. More than likely will be on repeat most of the evening. Right at the start, Kuijken incorporates some very broad tempos within Le Matin, that allows ample time to enjoy each highly enchanting melody and all of the delightful solos. Although the Menuet dances perfectly. Highly recommended.

I have since had a few run throughs and it's magic from beginning to end, there are a few moments where some of the woodwinds get lost behind the strings, but it's minor.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on May 05, 2013, 07:48:57 PM

In other news the Op. 76 quartets in the Mosaiques set are ridiculously good...any suggestions for other recordings? :D

Yes they are. :)  It seems odd to me that such a pinnacle of music, recorded so many times, has rather few outstanding versions to choose from. I have 2 that I lean on rather heavily, one PI and one MI, and oddly enough, both on Denon. That would be the Kuijken Quartet and the Carmina Quartet. I rarely recommend them though because of difficulty in obtaining them. What is it with Denon? Anyway, I'm guessing that there will be lots of opinions on this one, so I'll just take mine and stay home with them. :)

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 06, 2013, 03:16:55 AM
...every good Haus Mate should obtain this...

I have since had a few run throughs and it's magic from beginning to end, there are a few moments where some of the woodwinds get lost behind the strings, but it's minor.

Quite agree, it is really an individualistic performance, and very nicely done. Highly recommendable. :)

8)

Mandryka

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 06, 2013, 04:22:37 AM
Yes they are. :)  It seems odd to me that such a pinnacle of music, recorded so many times, has rather few outstanding versions to choose from. I have 2 that I lean on rather heavily, one PI and one MI, and oddly enough, both on Denon. That would be the Kuijken Quartet and the Carmina Quartet. I rarely recommend them though because of difficulty in obtaining them. What is it with Denon? Anyway, I'm guessing that there will be lots of opinions on this one, so I'll just take mine and stay home with them. :)

Quite agree, it is really an individualistic performance, and very nicely done. Highly recommendable. :)

8)

Carmina are outstanding in op 76. Worth seeking out. You used to be able to get hem easily and cheaply from cdjapan.co.jp

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mandryka on May 06, 2013, 04:48:38 AM
Carmina are outstanding in op 76. Worth seeking out. You used to be able to get hem easily and cheaply from cdjapan.co.jp

Glad to have an 'independent' opinion on that, Mandrake. They were my introduction to the works (and Haydn's string quartets, for that matter) and I was never sure if I thought they were superb because they were, or because they were my first. In any case, I've heard a dozen or so since then, but was never as transported by any others. :)

8)