Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geo Dude

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 06, 2013, 04:22:37 AM
Yes they are. :)  It seems odd to me that such a pinnacle of music, recorded so many times, has rather few outstanding versions to choose from. I have 2 that I lean on rather heavily, one PI and one MI, and oddly enough, both on Denon. That would be the Kuijken Quartet and the Carmina Quartet. I rarely recommend them though because of difficulty in obtaining them. What is it with Denon? Anyway, I'm guessing that there will be lots of opinions on this one, so I'll just take mine and stay home with them. :)

The nice thing about these obscure, OOP recordings is that they tend to show up on Amazon with an occasional good price on the marketplace; there's often a seller trying to get $10 rather than the usual $1000.  Case in point: A copy of the Kuijken Quartet recording was just shipped for $28. ;)  It ain't the bargain of the century, but it ain't bad either.

Since we're on the subject of obscure stuff, how is the Kuijken Quartet's recording of Mozart's "Haydn Quartets"?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on May 06, 2013, 11:16:52 AM
The nice thing about these obscure, OOP recordings is that they tend to show up on Amazon with an occasional good price on the marketplace; there's often a seller trying to get $10 rather than the usual $1000.  Case in point: A copy of the Kuijken Quartet recording was just shipped for $28. ;)  It ain't the bargain of the century, but it ain't bad either.

Since we're on the subject of obscure stuff, how is the Kuijken Quartet's recording of Mozart's "Haydn Quartets"?

I got mine about 2 years ago, a guy had a set on offer (eBay) through a couple of cycles for $75 and it didn't sell. I wrote and offered him $40 and he took it. I was delighted to get it for that. $28 actually IS a bargain!

Well, clearly I am a fan of the Kuijken's, they are all around solid in everything I've heard them in. I have them, the Smithson's and the Mosaiques in that cycle, and I give a slight edge to the Mosaiques (I like their Mozart better than their Haydn, if truth be told). :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Geo Dude

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 06, 2013, 11:38:32 AM
I got mine about 2 years ago, a guy had a set on offer (eBay) through a couple of cycles for $75 and it didn't sell. I wrote and offered him $40 and he took it. I was delighted to get it for that. $28 actually IS a bargain!

Well, clearly I am a fan of the Kuijken's, they are all around solid in everything I've heard them in. I have them, the Smithson's and the Mosaiques in that cycle, and I give a slight edge to the Mosaiques (I like their Mozart better than their Haydn, if truth be told). :)

8)

Thanks for the information.  I'm happy to know that I got a bargain.  I have an E-Bay story somewhat similar to yours; I bid on a Shostakovich string quartet set and someone outbid me; the seller PM'd me after the auction and said that he had a second copy on hand that he'd be happy to sell me for the amount of the losing bid I had placed with no extra shipping charges.  I was never so happy to lose an auction... ;D  In any case, I've just finished piecing together my set of Mosaiques' "Haydn Quartets" (supplementing my pre-existing Smithson set) so that news about the Mosaiques being superior is quite nice to hear makes me quite happy.  How do you feel about Mosaiques vs Festetics vs Kuijken in the Prussian Quartets?

Related to Haydn, what are your recommendations on Ops. 54, 55, 71 and 74?  Those sets seem to be a bit thinner on the ground than others, in particular PI versions; perhaps they're less popular than the other quartets.  I will, of course, be perfectly happy with any MI recordings that don't pretend that Haydn is Mahler and is in need of constant, heavy vibrato. :D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on May 06, 2013, 12:51:07 PM
Thanks for the information.  I'm happy to know that I got a bargain.  I have an E-Bay story somewhat similar to yours; I bid on a Shostakovich string quartet set and someone outbid me; the seller PM'd me after the auction and said that he had a second copy on hand that he'd be happy to sell me for the amount of the losing bid I had placed with no extra shipping charges.  I was never so happy to lose an auction... ;D  In any case, I've just finished piecing together my set of Mosaiques' "Haydn Quartets" (supplementing my pre-existing Smithson set) so that news about the Mosaiques being superior is quite nice to hear makes me quite happy.  How do you feel about Mosaiques vs Festetics vs Kuijken in the Prussian Quartets?

I saw you bought that single on your list this morning. You can see the one I got in my sig. I had downloads before so I was delighted to find this. Love the picture too....

I don't have the Kuijkens in those last 4 quartets, I am delighted with both the Festetics and the Mosaiques, not sure I could choose except that the Festetics have a bit more cheeriness to them. I like cheeriness...

QuoteRelated to Haydn, what are your recommendations on Ops. 54, 55, 71 and 74?  Those sets seem to be a bit thinner on the ground than others, in particular PI versions; perhaps they're less popular than the other quartets.  I will, of course, be perfectly happy with any MI recordings that don't pretend that Haydn is Mahler and is in need of constant, heavy vibrato. :D

You really only have 2 choices, both involving a fair amount of shopping. The Salomon's on Hyperion and the Festetics. There may be an occasional single quartet floating about here and there, but for a set, that's about it. Hyperion kind of messes you around with that Op 71/74 set, giving only 2 per disk so you need 3 disks. Bastards. I like the Salomon's though, I must say. The Festetics kick butt, they are very lively in these works. I don't have much for MI in either opus, the Endellion disk on Virgin which is very nice, and the Kodaly on Naxos, which is a reliable standby. In any given piece or even movement, one's favorite might change from minute to minute. I hate that..... :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mandryka

For Op 74 I like Pro Arte, Griller, Shuppanzigh, Minetti and Juilliard. For op 71 there's Pro Arte, Griller and  a live from Cuarteto Casals. Also I've heard  The Amsterdam, but I wasn't so keen. The Minetti are excellent on HAensler, and there's a live Haydn recording from them which is even better.

The Juilliard play Op 71/1 on a live from 1982 in the Library of Congress, and The Rider on an early record released on Testament.

Whenever I think about recordings like this I find myself going back to the old Pro Arte. I feel particularly enthusiastic anout them right now. What jazzy performances!  They remind me of those recordings that Django Reinhardt made with Club Hot de France. More so in Haydn than in Mozart or Debussy or Ravel.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Octave

Quote from: Mandryka on May 06, 2013, 10:42:18 PM
[...]The Minetti are excellent on HAensler, and there's a live Haydn recording from them which is even better.

Is the live Minetti a non-commercial recording, from Symphonyshare or some similar source?  I did a quick search and Amz/Presto and only saw the single Haenssler disc that you and Jens have recommended.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 06, 2013, 01:04:25 PM

Quote from: Geo Dude on May 06, 2013, 12:51:07 PM
[...]
Related to Haydn, what are your recommendations on Ops. 54, 55, 71 and 74?  Those sets seem to be a bit thinner on the ground than others, in particular PI versions; perhaps they're less popular than the other quartets.  I will, of course, be perfectly happy with any MI recordings that don't pretend that Haydn is Mahler and is in need of constant, heavy vibrato. :D

You really only have 2 choices, both involving a fair amount of shopping. The Salomon's on Hyperion and the Festetics. There may be an occasional single quartet floating about here and there, but for a set, that's about it. Hyperion kind of messes you around with that Op 71/74 set, giving only 2 per disk so you need 3 disks. Bastards. I like the Salomon's though, I must say. The Festetics kick butt, they are very lively in these works. I don't have much for MI in either opus, the Endellion disk on Virgin which is very nice, and the Kodaly on Naxos, which is a reliable standby. In any given piece or even movement, one's favorite might change from minute to minute. I hate that..... :)

8)

If their style is to your taste (I like them fine, though that liking does not at all impede my enthusiasm for the otherwise style of e.g. the Mosaïques), the Amadeus Quartet traversed the lot:

[asin]B0002U9G9E[/asin]

This was a box I picked up pretty much at the outset of my investigation into "Papa's" quartets, and I snaffled it for a near song at a brick-&-mortar shop which was about to turn up its toes; but I also like this box on the musical merits.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

P.S./ When I say the lot, I mean the Opp. 54, 55, 71 & 74 after which you enquired : )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mandryka

Quote from: Octave on May 07, 2013, 01:06:10 AM
Is the live Minetti a non-commercial recording, from Symphonyshare or some similar source?  I did a quick search and Amz/Presto and only saw the single Haenssler disc that you and Jens have recommended.

It's a concert recording from Vienna a couple of years ago. When I checked it only has The Bird. There's some Ligeti and Mendelssohn
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

TheGSMoeller

Almost a year old, I didn't know it existed though. BIG fan of their Monteverdi Vespers, now curious about their Haydn Creation. Anybody?

[asin]B0072IVGR4[/asin]

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 07, 2013, 06:15:43 AM
Almost a year old, I didn't know it existed though. BIG fan of their Monteverdi Vespers, now curious about their Haydn Creation. Anybody?

[asin]B0072IVGR4[/asin]

I have it wishlisted; it's almost the only PI 'Creation' I don't have yet. FIx that soon enough though. :)  FWIW, I have some of their Bach, and their Mozart 'Requiem' which I quite enjoy.  :)

8)

Geo Dude

One more question before I toss out a few recommendations:  Gurn (and others) who do you like for Op. 50?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on May 07, 2013, 09:20:22 AM
One more question before I toss out a few recommendations:  Gurn (and others) who do you like for Op. 50?

We did a blind test of Op 50 6-8 months ago (longer??) and I turned out to favor the Salomon's. I like the Schuppanzigh's #6, but it is the only one they did. Surprisingly or not, I am rather partial to The Lindsay's version. They feel good with it.

This is my favorite opus, and I have a bunch of recordings, but picking out a favorite is really pretty hard for me. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

jlaurson

Geo Dude

Thanks to both of you.  I ended up going with the Tokyo Quartet recording.

As promised, I will start (slowly) with my recommendations:

[asin]B005TLWOH2[/asin]

Any Haus members that do not own this set should repent for the sin they have committed against Haydn and go get it right now.

EDIT:  There was a Brahms quote (possibly spurious) about Haydn that was discussed some time back.  Paraphrased, the general effect was, "No one at this time properly appreciates Haydn.  He gave us everything."

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on May 07, 2013, 10:51:59 AM
Thanks to both of you.  I ended up going with the Tokyo Quartet recording.

As promised, I will start (slowly) with my recommendations:

[asin]B005TLWOH2[/asin]

Any Haus members that do not own this set should repent for the sin they have committed against Haydn and go get it right now.

Yeah, I forgot about Tokyo Quartet. Can't go wrong getting the best.  :)

Different cover, same disks.   ;)

8)

TheGSMoeller

.[asin]B0058JDCMG[/asin]

I'm having a similar reaction to these performances as I did with Fey's symphonies. Pieces I'm familiar with but with such fresh interpretations it's almost as if I'm experiencing them for the first time. The London Haydn Quartet inject some characteristically unique twists and turns with tempos, while successfully stressing dynamic shifts. Take No.5 in F minor for example, the Adagio and finale Fuge a 2 Soggetti almost blend together, like a continuation of each other, the Fuge begins smoothly at a similar tempo to the ending of the previous movement. But when the Fuge comes to an end, its intensely sharp-edged. Another example are the arpeggios that accompany the beginning of No. 4 in D major, they arrive briskly and brashly in between the calm bookends, passing by like a speeding train. Playing with classical bows on gut strings, this group really creates an interesting tone.
The Op. 20 contains some of my favorite string quartet movements from Haydn's oeuvre, including one of my all time favorites in No. 5, and this recording reaffirms my admiration for these works, and could likely move to the top of the pile of Haydn string quartet recordings. Basically, I'm floored by these performances. Their June release of Op. 33 has been pre-ordered.

Gurn Blanston

I've been getting those disks since their first release of Op 9. I have to say that when I started with them, Op 9 and 17 were not my favorite interps of. I found them to be very tame and, I don't know, like a recital, you know, overly perfect so to say. I like an element of rowdyism in my Haydn, maybe not what one would look for in Mozart for example. Those who share this taste know exactly what I am talking about, those who don't probably never will. ;)

However, I thought Op 20 was much more as though they had found themselves. It's a very nice set that I am pleased to have. Op 33 is on MY pre-order too.  :) 

8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 07, 2013, 04:14:18 PM
I've been getting those disks since their first release of Op 9. I have to say that when I started with them, Op 9 and 17 were not my favorite interps of. I found them to be very tame and, I don't know, like a recital, you know, overly perfect so to say. I like an element of rowdyism in my Haydn, maybe not what one would look for in Mozart for example. Those who share this taste know exactly what I am talking about, those who don't probably never will. ;)

However, I thought Op 20 was much more as though they had found themselves. It's a very nice set that I am pleased to have. Op 33 is on MY pre-order too.  :) 

8)

Interesting to hear, Gurn. This Op. 20 is my introduction to this group, so I would have expected similar results with their earlier releases. Let's hope they stick with their unique presentations with No. 33. Samples on iTunes of the Op. 33 sound good so far.