Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Geo Dude on May 21, 2013, 05:44:59 AM
A Naxos recording being top of the heap?  Come now. :P

Yep. I'll agree with Gurn on this one. It's well performed and recorded. And for a nice contrast I resort to Bernstein's on Sony.

Opus106

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 21, 2013, 06:08:46 AM
My only reservation about PI trios in general is that the keyboard tends to dominate too much.  :)

8)

Do you mean MI trios?
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

I took that as a typo, myself.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on May 21, 2013, 06:33:00 AM
I know what you are talking about - but I don't get that impression from these recordings.

No, I just mean in general. These guys are pretty good about it, although that's what drove me away from MI chamber music to start with. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

George

For the Trios, for me it's Beaux Arts all the way...
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Opus106

Quote from: karlhenning on May 21, 2013, 06:56:34 AM
I took that as a typo, myself.

Simply making sure.... :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: George on May 21, 2013, 07:00:39 AM
For the Trios, for me it's Beaux Arts all the way...

Never doubted you for a minute, dear fellow.  BATting for the cycle, and we baseball fans call it.... :D

8)

George

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 21, 2013, 07:05:22 AM
Never doubted you for a minute, dear fellow.  BATting for the cycle, and we baseball fans call it.... :D

8)

LOL

That box set is like heaven in a box. So serene...

In fact, it was that set that helped me understand the love that you guys have for Haydn.
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: George on May 21, 2013, 07:11:52 AM
LOL

That box set is like heaven in a box. So serene...

In fact, it was that set that helped me understand the love that you guys have for Haydn.

Yes, all of that and more. The finest composer in the world today.... well, yesterday, but whose counting? :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on May 21, 2013, 07:12:00 AM
Rangers or Astros?  Or if you're old enough the Colt 45s?

I could go for the Colt 45's, I remember them well. But since most Rangers are Haydn fans, well, I can only return the favor. :)

8)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Geo Dude on May 21, 2013, 05:44:59 AM
A Naxos recording being top of the heap?  Come now. :P

Geo, I wish I could add more than I'm about to but not having heard this Creation recording my input will be limited.

I wouldn't count out Spering just because of the label he's on. I only have one of his recordings - Handel's opera Imeneo on CPO - but it's of such high quality I count it as among the best Handel recordings I've heard (and I've heard many).

The other thing is, I've never been a fan of Jacobs as a conductor. Take that FWIW of course but I'd say follow Gurn's advice and go for the Spering. I just might buy it myself to supplement my Brüggen recording.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Geo Dude

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on May 21, 2013, 09:36:34 AM
I wouldn't count out Spering just because of the label he's on.

Don't worry, that was a joke. :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Dancing Divertimentian

BTW, anyone know anything about this Christie version?

[asin]B000VLR0J2[/asin]

Karl Henning

I must be dreaming. Just pulled the trigger on a new copy of the Boston Baroque recording of The Creation for $1.67 (plus s/h).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on May 21, 2013, 11:37:43 AM
BTW, anyone know anything about this Christie version?

[asin]B000VLR0J2[/asin]

Somewhere above (sorry I can't be more precise) I briefly compared 10 or 11 PI versions of The Creation, of which this was one. I liked it, in comparison with its peers it more than held its own, although in the end, IIRC, it was middle of the pack. I liked Spering better. But hey, that's just me.  :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on May 21, 2013, 11:39:46 AM
I must be dreaming. Just pulled the trigger on a new copy of the Boston Baroque recording of The Creation for $1.67 (plus s/h).

Saw that, it's been there for a couple of weeks. Pretty amazing, eh?  :)

8)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 21, 2013, 12:12:13 PM
Somewhere above (sorry I can't be more precise) I briefly compared 10 or 11 PI versions of The Creation, of which this was one. I liked it, in comparison with its peers it more than held its own, although in the end, IIRC, it was middle of the pack. I liked Spering better. But hey, that's just me.  :)

8)

Thanks, Gurn. :)

Gurn Blanston

Here's a link to an essay about the work itself;

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,54.msg684400.html#msg684400

And this to a very small comparative listening adventure;

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,54.msg687882.html#msg687882

I don't know, maybe something useful there.

8)