Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 17, 2013, 06:18:17 PM

That said, an ideal complement, and far easier to obtain and more musically 'loaded up', is this high recommendation;

My opinion, of course. :)

8)

Yes, that Naxos set is excellent, IMO at the same level of Weil. I particularly like the lovely white voices of the sopranos involved in this project. Of course, the instrumental part is fantastic too. 
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: sanantonio on June 18, 2013, 06:32:15 PM
You are the third person I've noticed listening to that set.  Wassup?  For sure it is excellent, but was it on sale recently?

Yes, some days ago Navneeth posted this alert:

Quote from: Opus106 on June 07, 2013, 11:40:38 PM
Haydn, J. - Hogwood - The Symphonies £34 (ex. VAT)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B009LNI0T0/?tag=goodmusicguideco-21

:)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

kishnevi

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on June 18, 2013, 07:06:56 PM
Yes, some days ago Navneeth posted this alert:

Going by a post in the SuperDuperCheapBargains thread, it's still available at that price, if you want in on that piece of action.

And just to be clear,  it merely arrived today in my mailbox.  It will be a bit before it actually gets listened to. :P

Wakefield

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 18, 2013, 07:12:32 PM
Going by a post in the SuperDuperCheapBargains thread, it's still available at that price, if you want in on that piece of action.

And just to be clear,  it merely arrived today in my mailbox.  It will be a bit before it actually gets listened to. :P

Yes, it will be a long road.

I'm curious: Does it include a big booklet? I ask because the original liner notes are fantastic.  :)
-- Voltaire

kishnevi

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on June 18, 2013, 07:17:44 PM
Yes, it will be a long road.

I'm curious: Does it include a big booklet? I ask because the original liner notes are fantastic.  :)

A very thin booklet, with track listings and a four page essay I have yet to read,  in English and Italian (the essay was originally written in Italian).  This is in contrast to the Hogwood/AAM Mozart set,  which had copious liner notes, but everything was in Italian only.

This iteration has a copyright date of 2012,  with the copyright holder being given as Universal's Italian subsidiary.     My Ozawa Mahler box had a similar origin, so perhaps Universal has something systematic in the way of re-issues going on through this pipeline.

Wakefield

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on June 18, 2013, 07:24:36 PM
A very thin booklet, with track listings and a four page essay I have yet to read,  in English and Italian (the essay was originally written in Italian).  This is in contrast to the Hogwood/AAM Mozart set,  which had copious liner notes, but everything was in Italian only.

This iteration has a copyright date of 2012,  with the copyright holder being given as Universal's Italian subsidiary.     My Ozawa Mahler box had a similar origin, so perhaps Universal has something systematic in the way of re-issues going on through this pipeline.

Thanks, Jeffrey.

The documentation in these Italian realeases is a bit unpredictable.
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on June 19, 2013, 02:59:23 AM
I already have it; but am glad others have bought it since it is such a good set of the symphonies.

Completely agree; And the price = what I paid for 2 of the 10 boxes of the original, which is what I have, is staggeringly good. Delighted that so many have taken advantage of the opportunity. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

A little typically, I have as yet made limited progress in listening to the riches of that box, but what I have heard thus far is superb.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on June 19, 2013, 04:44:26 AM
A little typically, I have as yet made limited progress in listening to the riches of that box, but what I have heard thus far is superb.

You need to focus, Karl, focus.... :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on June 18, 2013, 07:00:55 PM
Yes, that Naxos set is excellent, IMO at the same level of Weil. I particularly like the lovely white voices of the sopranos involved in this project. Of course, the instrumental part is fantastic too.

Yes, truly is superb. I think that unless someone is just really wanting to have all the masses recordings ever made on PI (and what fool would want that? ::) ) then this is the way to go, along with a single here and there. And Weil. And Harnoncourt, of course.   0:)

8)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Geo Dude

I forgot about that Naxos release.  Good thing I was reminded, too, because it looks like one to get and the price is reasonable.  I mean sure, there's all that fluff* in there along with the final six masses, but I think I can handle it. 8)

I also got that set of Haydn symphonies in.  I was pretty happy to see it so quickly, I'm always concerned about stuff getting lost on the way across the pond.

*Sorry, I couldn't find that clip in English.

TheGSMoeller

Help with my confusion, please?

[asin]B001LPNVDG[/asin]

I see the cover advertises Piano Chamber Music, but Amazon.com and All Music have the track listings that only display keyboard concertos. Is this an error on the websites?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 19, 2013, 05:56:29 AM
Help with my confusion, please?

[asin]B001LPNVDG[/asin]

I see the cover advertises Piano Chamber Music, but Amazon.com and All Music have the track listings that only display keyboard concertos. Is this an error on the websites?

Oh, it couldn't be more straightforward, Greg!   ::)  (OK, I made that part up)

The primary contents of that box appear to be Hoboken 14. In the odd way that things got named back then, these were called either "concertinos" or "divertimentos", although only the most seasoned of musicologists could tell you why they don't have the same name (which could be divertimento, given Haydn's preferences back then). They've also added in (apparently) the keyboard trio that also got published as a violin sonata (Hob 15:32 / 15a:32), and the one work in Hob 14 that also includes a horn along with the keyboard and strings.

I have seen these works called 'the first piano quartets', but really, that is so misleading that someone should get smacked over it. They are very fine divertimentos dating from ~1760, and I would expect this disk (which I have never seen before) to be a nicely entertaining addition to your collection.

Essentially the same music is also available on these sets;

or

8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 19, 2013, 06:14:38 AM

The primary contents of that box appear to be Hoboken 14. In the odd way that things got named back then, these were called either "concertinos" or "divertimentos", although only the most seasoned of musicologists could tell you why they don't have the same name (which could be divertimento, given Haydn's preferences back then). They've also added in (apparently) the keyboard trio that also got published as a violin sonata (Hob 15:32 / 15a:32), and the one work in Hob 14 that also includes a horn along with the keyboard and strings.

I have seen these works called 'the first piano quartets', but really, that is so misleading that someone should get smacked over it. They are very fine divertimentos dating from ~1760, and I would expect this disk (which I have never seen before) to be a nicely entertaining addition to your collection.

Essentially the same music is also available on these sets;

or

8)

Much appreciated, Gurn. Makes sense (just smacked myself  :-[ ). Here's a sample of the track listing I've seen on Amazon.com...

1. Keyboard Concerto in C major, H. 14/4: Allegro
2. Keyboard Concerto in C major, H. 14/4: Menuet
3. Keyboard Concerto in C major, H. 14/4: Finale (Allegro)
4. Keyboard Concerto in C major, H. 14/11: Moderato
5. Keyboard Concerto in C major, H. 14/11: Adagio
6. Keyboard Concerto in C major, H. 14/11: Allegro
7. Keyboard Concerto in C major, H. 14/8: Allegro moderato
8. Keyboard Concerto in C major, H. 14/8: Menuet
9. Keyboard Concerto in C major, H. 14/8: Finale - Scherzo
10. Keyboard Concerto in G major, H. 14/13: Allegro moderato

...but I now see the H. 14..
And thanks for the other recs.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on June 19, 2013, 08:14:24 AM
Much appreciated, Gurn. Makes sense (just smacked myself  :-[ ). Here's a sample of the track listing I've seen on Amazon.com...

1. Keyboard Concerto in C major, H. 14/4: Allegro
2. Keyboard Concerto in C major, H. 14/4: Menuet
3. Keyboard Concerto in C major, H. 14/4: Finale (Allegro)
4. Keyboard Concerto in C major, H. 14/11: Moderato
5. Keyboard Concerto in C major, H. 14/11: Adagio
6. Keyboard Concerto in C major, H. 14/11: Allegro
7. Keyboard Concerto in C major, H. 14/8: Allegro moderato
8. Keyboard Concerto in C major, H. 14/8: Menuet
9. Keyboard Concerto in C major, H. 14/8: Finale - Scherzo
10. Keyboard Concerto in G major, H. 14/13: Allegro moderato

...but I know see the H. 14..
And thanks for the other recs.  :)

Always my pleasure, Greg.

Interesting to see them calling these 'concerto'. Even the much more neutral 'concertino' is a bit of a stretch. 'Keyboard Divertimento a quattro' would be ideal if it wasn't so late in the name game. Nonetheless, it is nicely entertaining after dinner music.

8)

George

Quote from: Geo Dude on June 19, 2013, 05:54:16 AM
I forgot about that Naxos release.  Good thing I was reminded, too, because it looks like one to get and the price is reasonable.  I mean sure, there's all that fluff* in there along with the final six masses, but I think I can handle it. 8)

I also got that set of Haydn symphonies in.  I was pretty happy to see it so quickly, I'm always concerned about stuff getting lost on the way across the pond.

*Sorry, I couldn't find that clip in English.

The Haydn concerto box on Naxos is sweet too!!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 19, 2013, 05:26:38 AM
Yes, truly is superb. I think that unless someone is just really wanting to have all the masses recordings ever made on PI (and what fool would want that? ::) ) then this is the way to go, along with a single here and there. And Weil. And Harnoncourt, of course.   0:)

8)

I don't like very much Harnoncourt in Haydn's sacred music. I feel his interpretations a bit too much on the dramatic/grandiloquent side. But it's just my opinion.

My third favorite conductor in this repertoire is Simon Preston and his chorus of children. Unfortunately he didn't record extensively this music.  :(
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on June 19, 2013, 01:40:45 PM
I don't like very much Harnoncourt in Haydn's sacred music. I feel his interpretations a bit too much on the dramatic/grandiloquent side. But it's just my opinion.

My third favorite conductor in this repertoire is Simon Preston and his chorus of children. Unfortunately he didn't record extensively this music.  :(

True, but if you are looking for complementary styles, and you interpret that to mean 'contrasting', then I like Harnoncourt better than Gardiner, for example.  :)

Yes, this is a very nice recording, and I'm with you; why didn't they do more?  :-\

8)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on June 19, 2013, 06:14:38 AM

They are good discs. I have them - very well played. And you are correct that it is mostly Hob XIV. Everything is labeled as concertino or divertimento (except for the violin sonata and what they call a quintet (Hob XIV, No 01)). There is also Hob XVIII, No F2).

Initially I got them more to be completist, but i have really enjoyed them and play the disc somewhat regularly.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!