Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 03, 2013, 06:39:16 AM
Hi Gurn - Trio Mosaiques - is this just a sub-group of the Quatuor Mosaiques - cannot seem to find any recordings on Amazon using the search term 'Trio M......' - just curious?

Regarding the Haydn's chamber flute works on PIs, I have Camerata Koln & the Kuijken Brothers, the latter shown below - Dave :)

Hey, Dave,
Oh, TM is just a name I made up because the violin and the cello (Höbarth and Coin) are from the QM, and it's easier than writing out all 3 names every time. "Coin Haydn Trio" is a good search term, IIRC that's what I used. :)

The Kuijken disk is the trios for 2 flutes (or in their case, violin & flute) and cello (the so-called "London Trios"). Excellent disk. The Camerata Köln disk was my first of the trios with fortepiano rep, and still, it is hard to beat. Wonderful playing. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Opus106

Regards,
Navneeth

Parsifal

Quote from: sanantonio on July 03, 2013, 08:25:19 AM
There is a part of me that is willing to suspend disbelief and entertain buying this
[asin]B001DCQI9Q[/asin]

Something about a blind pig occasionally finding an acorn for some reason came to mind.

Not as bad as some would lead you to believe, but far from ideal.  Forceful, but deficient in humor and winds.  Certainly a big contrast to the typical HIP recording and I find it more interesting than most other anti-HIP recordings.  An occasional guilty pleasure for me.

Gurn Blanston

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 03, 2013, 08:05:27 AM
Hey, Dave,
Oh, TM is just a name I made up because the violin and the cello (Höbarth and Coin) are from the QM, and it's easier than writing out all 3 names every time. "Coin Haydn Trio" is a good search term, IIRC that's what I used. : ..................

Yep, my assumption, but just wanted to verified it before sending 'GMG Avengers' after you!  ;) :D  Dave

Gurn Blanston

Listening today to a newly released version of the 6 Sonatas (Duos) for Violin & Viola of Hob 6.

I have been enamored of these simple little works ever since my first venture with this disk via the Duo Ongarese;

using the score with cello instead of viola (not sanctioned by Haydn, but actually published nearly as early as his version was!). Since then I have also gotten these two versions, the first a superb PI version, the second a very fine MI one;

Detail of the front cover of the 1st edition score;

Although no one is entirely positive when or why Haydn wrote these works, it has been narrowed down to 1769-70, and as an adjunct to the Baryton Trios that were the steady diet of after-dinner music in those years. They are much the same in style, but the presence of a violin, lacking in the trios, lend them an air of gaiety that seems harder to find in the trios. The violin is clearly the showpiece here, possibly these were meant to be played by Tomasini since his presence was not required in the trios. The viola plays only an occasional obligatto riff, being confined mainly to a basso role.

This recording has a wonderful presence. The playing is excellent, but the thing that makes it stand out is that it sounds like the players are sitting right there in front of you! This performance makes a solid run at Steck & Gooses! If the price of Accent recordings puts you off, the Brilliant price point will put this disk at the top of your list. :)

8)

Geo Dude

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 04, 2013, 11:36:18 AM
If the price of Accent recordings puts you off, the Brilliant price point will put this disk at the top of your list. :)

8)

This disc seems to be at the top of many lists:  My copy through DeepDiscount has been on back order for about a month and a similar situation is occurring across the internet.  Methinks BC failed to account for how popular the price point made this disc. :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Geo Dude on July 04, 2013, 09:32:39 PM
This disc seems to be at the top of many lists:  My copy through DeepDiscount has been on back order for about a month and a similar situation is occurring across the internet.  Methinks BC failed to account for how popular the price point made this disc. :)

I got mine from MovieMars through the AMP for $5.35 + s&h, and surprisingly they shipped promptly and I got within 10 days (a new record for MM!). Not surprised it is selling well though, even if it took word of mouth to get it going there. Not like Brilliant do any advertising. :)

8)

Mandryka

Wanda Landowska's late Haydn solo recordings have never been available commercially but they're now been transferred very well here:

http://shellackophile.blogspot.co.uk/2013_03_01_archive.html

Pleyel plucking piano and Steinway. Well worth reading her little essay on Haydn which is included in the download.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

jlaurson

J. Haydn
Complete Sonatas
Ekaterina Derzhavina
Profil Hänssler

German link - UK link

Only on disc 3 and already in love. Recorded between 1993 and 2008, for SWR in their studios, loving sonata by sonata... now released on Profil and absolutely given away via mp3 ($10).

mc ukrneal

Quote from: jlaurson on July 15, 2013, 12:45:03 AM

J. Haydn
Complete Sonatas
Ekaterina Derzhavina
Profil Hänssler

German link - UK link

Only on disc 3 and already in love. Recorded between 1993 and 2008, for SWR in their studios, loving sonata by sonata... now released on Profil and absolutely given away via mp3 ($10).
Hmm. I don't know. The early stuff sounds like what I call bimpley music (listening to the excerpts). Does this word exist? This is when the pianist pings too much and notes are not held long enough. Frilly is perhaps another way of saying it. Can't beat the price though. 
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

jlaurson

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 15, 2013, 12:59:26 AM
Hmm. I don't know. The early stuff sounds like what I call bimpley music (listening to the excerpts). Does this word exist? This is when the pianist pings too much and notes are not held long enough. Frilly is perhaps another way of saying it. Can't beat the price though.

Hmmm... I suppose I can imagine what bimpley music might be, but I hear wit and spunk and every once in a while she really revs the engines and has fun with these little things... certainly am enjoying these more than on the other sets I have... (McCabe, Jando, Schornsheim...)

Are you listening off the excerpts off your computer?

mc ukrneal

Quote from: jlaurson on July 15, 2013, 01:11:35 AM
Hmmm... I suppose I can imagine what bimpley music might be, but I hear wit and spunk and every once in a while she really revs the engines and has fun with these little things... certainly am enjoying these more than on the other sets I have... (McCabe, Jando, Schornsheim...)

Are you listening off the excerpts off your computer?
Yes - which is why I hesitate to put too much stock into it. Though, the notes are still on the short side, but if the normal quality version has more warmth, this effet might go away. I didn't notice it on the later sonatas, which indicates to me it could also be the style of the earlier works.

Mandryka

There was a festival of music in the Austrian region of Styria at the start of the month. Harnoncourt gave a Haydn concert as part of it on the 7th , including Symphony 26. A recording of of the concert is on concertarchive. Take it if you can, it's interesting. What you hear straight away is how distinctive and airy CMV's sound is. And how astute Harnoncourt has become at not only playing musical lines in tension, but also at peppering a performance with contrasting textures and timbres.  Next to Harnoncourt's 26, Cambrelling sounds lyrical and heavy and Fey, who I like more and  more, sounds like . . .  I dunno . . . fey sounds like someone in a hurry with a lot to say.

Harnoncourt hasn't recorded 26 commercially, has he? I'm convinced he's going through a purple patch right now, this and the new Missa Solemnis. All the boldness of the ideas in Music as Speech  put into practice.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Gurn Blanston

Interesting. No, he hasn't recorded it commercially. I would love it if they would release a new CD of 3 or  4 symphonies, with this one included. Long overdue.

8)

Gurn Blanston

Where are all the Haydnistos gone? Maybe Haydn is just a wintertime composer?   :D

New blog post today:

http://haydnseek.typepad.com/my-blog/

It's nice to have the time and space to go into a bit more depth than I did here. :)

8)

Karl Henning

Very nicely done, sir! Again, an excellent and informative read.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on July 24, 2013, 11:33:41 AM
Very nicely done, sir! Again, an excellent and informative read.

Many thanks, amigo. Even the extended posts I was writing here didn't really offer the potential opportunities of an actual blog. One day, I may even learn how to use that stuff!  :-[  :)

8)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 24, 2013, 11:23:12 AM
Where are all the Haydnistos gone? Maybe Haydn is just a wintertime composer?   :D

New blog post today:

http://haydnseek.typepad.com/my-blog/

It's nice to have the time and space to go into a bit more depth than I did here. :)

8)
If all the Haydnistos are waiting for other Haydnistas to post, we have a humdinger of a Haydnisto holdout! :) 

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 24, 2013, 12:14:51 PM
If all the Haydnistos are waiting for other Haydnistas to post, we have a humdinger of a Haydnisto holdout! :)

Well, I have been listening to Haydn....

After all this time, and in the interest of completeness, I finally bought Pinnock's 'Times of Day' symphonies. AFAIK, they were the last PI set I was lacking. Got them yesterday, hope to listen to them tonight. Somewhere or other I read a couple of negative reviews of them and just became a sort of holdout. Anyone else have these?

8)