Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakefield

So far I don't have any musical reason to do it, but I just wanted to post this cover here:

[asin]B00DJ5IQM2[/asin]

8)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on August 15, 2013, 10:42:25 PM
So far I don't have any musical reason to do it, but I just wanted to post this cover here:

[asin]B00DJ5IQM2[/asin]

8)

I completely understand your sentiments, Gordo. I think it must be a counter-move to Karl's Hamelin.... ;)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

I always smile at the irony of that name for a musician, as глухой is Russian for deaf.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on August 16, 2013, 04:11:20 AM
I always smile at the irony of that name for a musician, as глухой is Russian for deaf.

That's 'Daria'? Or 'Gloukhova'?

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Gloukhova . . . glukhoi
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Otherwise, Darius Milhaud would have been deaf, too  ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Daria of the Deaf is something of the resonance of her name.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on August 16, 2013, 04:27:33 AM
Gloukhova . . . glukhoi

Ah! Yes, well that IS ironic.

"The Deaf Piano Girl with the the "I'M Haydn's Bitch" Tattoos"

It could be a new Swedish Classic....

0:)

Karl Henning

If I were to get a tattoo (probably never happen, but...) it would be a Haydn tat.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on August 16, 2013, 04:57:09 AM
If I were to get a tattoo (probably never happen, but...) it would be a Haydn tat.

I want "THE HEN" on my left arm, and "THE PHILOSOPHER" on the right.

Wakefield

Ekaterina Derzhavina looks like a "good girl", but her Haydn is exceptionally well played:

[asin]B00BHEG6CO[/asin]

Full of flexibility, but without arbitrariness.

8)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Opus106

Quote from: karlhenning on August 16, 2013, 04:11:20 AM

Weird Russian names? Another excuse to post a QI video. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/v/yq2QWK29BFg
Regards,
Navneeth

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on August 16, 2013, 05:15:56 AM
Ekaterina Derzhavina looks like a "good girl", but her Haydn is exceptionally well played:

[asin]B00BHEG6CO[/asin]

Full of flexibility, but without arbitrariness.

8)

I've always admired those traits in a lady. Too bad I don't need another modern piano cycle. :-\

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Opus106 on August 16, 2013, 05:54:33 AM
Weird Russian names? Another excuse to post a QI video. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/v/yq2QWK29BFg

Super, as always. Thanks, Nav... :)

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 16, 2013, 06:01:24 AM
I've always admired those traits in a lady. Too bad I don't need another modern piano cycle. :-\

8)

Yes, I know about "that train"... but $9 to get the complete set of keyboard sonatas would be a extremely well spent money. She is one of those keyboardists that understands the Classical style from inside. Naturally, it's just a friendly suggestion.  :)
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on August 16, 2013, 06:21:08 AM
Yes, I know about "that train"... but $9 to get the complete set of keyboard sonatas would be a extremely well spent money. She is one of those keyboardists that understands the Classical style from inside. Naturally, it's just a friendly suggestion.  :)

Well, the masses appear to like it, and that's what counts. I don't buy Haydn downloads, but I'll tuck away the link in my wish list and maybe one day it will join my favorites. :)

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 16, 2013, 06:46:52 AM
Well, the masses appear to like it, and that's what counts. I don't buy Haydn downloads, but I'll tuck away the link in my wish list and maybe one day it will join my favorites. :)

8)

I'm a bit flexible on these matters: for instance, I almost never buy Haydn music performed on modern piano; but there are some exceptions: Brendel, McCabe, Schiff and now Derzhavina, a delicate and sensible performer.

I almost never buy digital downloads (I even think I purchased one for the first time six month ago), but this time I thought it was a fine way to test Derzhavina's set. And it was; actually, last night I ordered the physical set from Amazon.es.

:)

-- Voltaire

George

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on August 16, 2013, 07:10:50 AM
I'm a bit flexible on these matters: for instance, I almost never buy Haydn music performed on modern piano; but there are some exceptions: Brendel, McCabe, Schiff and now Derzhavina, a delicate and sensible performer.

I almost never buy digital downloads (I even think I purchased one for the first time six month ago), but this time I thought it was a fine way to test Derzhavina's set. And it was; actually, last night I ordered the physical set from Amazon.es.

:)

Well, I have Brendel and McCabe already, this may be a nice addition.

I judge whether the download is acceptable by the composer. Haydn and Mozart, well, physical media only there, I'm afraid. :)

8)

Quote from: George on August 16, 2013, 08:59:23 AM
:laugh:

Thank you, George. :)

8)

kishnevi

The name finally clicked in my head:  Derzhavina has a well done recording of BWV 988 available on Arte Nova.