Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Dadfrazzanabit, another parenthesis left unclosed . . . .)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

SonicMan46

Quote from: Daverz on September 15, 2013, 08:04:45 PM
Some critic said:

OK, sorry, I couldn't resist leaving a turd in the punchbowl.  Also the review of the set appeared as an "Insider Only" item, I'm guessing with a title like "Haydn from Hell" or something (I'm not going to spend $50 on the site just to read that one.)

LOL!  ;D - reminds me of a scene from Caddyshack!  Now, the critic quoted was a perennial favorite on the forum, i.e. David Hurwitz - I've not checked out other reviews for the Hogwood performances; I would like another 'complete' set of Papa's Symphonies but just have the Fischer (of course, more of the later ones in the 80s & the Londons).  I've debated on the Dorati for years, but the prices for all of the usual candidates have escalated - at the moment, I have plenty to entertain me, so will wait a while - Dave :)

Opus106

Quote from: SonicMan46 on September 16, 2013, 06:50:55 AM
I would like another 'complete' set of Papa's Symphonies but just have the Fischer (of course, more of the later ones in the 80s & the Londons).  I've debated on the Dorati for years, but the prices for all of the usual candidates have escalated - at the moment, I have plenty to entertain me, so will wait a while - Dave :)

Hi Dave. I don't know if you spotted this post  in the Listening thread; the set from Davies is available for ~ $30, shipped. Scrolling down that page, you can read what some of the other members have to say about it. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Annie on September 16, 2013, 04:09:07 AM
James Webster or not, that is the question

...and now that I see it, commenting on Hogwood with reference to Dorati is comical. Scholarly knowledge about Haydn has improved a lot in the last 40 years(Dorati's time). Being in contrast, even Goodman  :D would make a better reference, keyboard concerto no keyboard concerto vs keyboard concerto, dynamic vs less dynamic

He does all that. He compares Hogwood to, not Goodman, but Pinnock (but I can't post the entire review: that's against forum policy and a copyright violation). Only after several paragraphs discussing authentic practice and harpsichord vs no continuo does he brings Dorati into the argument:

"Finally, consider Antal Dorati's older performance with the Philharmonia Hungarica. You get trumpets and timpani, [Hogwood eschews the instruments in this symphony] no continuo, and violins that can actually sustain a melody for the length of the phrase[...]And let's hear none of that BS about vibrato making the music sound "thick" and overly sentimental. This is simply attractive violin tone; there's nothing to "thicken." It's just a tune that needs to be sustained in a typical, cantabile manner, and that's exactly what Dorati and his players offer."

Disclaimer: Any views or opinions presented in the above paragraph are solely those of Classics Today and do not necessarily represent those of the poster.  :D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Opus106

Quote from: Annie on September 16, 2013, 07:27:37 AM
Is giving a link prohibited too?

No, it's not; but Sarge is probably aware that no-one else in this forum is *ahem* crazy enough to subscribe to the Insider. :D ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

Quote from: sanantonio on September 16, 2013, 07:31:10 AM
My main complaint is that we do not have a complete cycle of the Haydn symphonies performed on period instruments.

:)

The question arises: is anyone out there who is young, competent and eager enough to complete one, say, in the next 10-15 years?
Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

Quote from: Annie on September 16, 2013, 07:43:26 AM
Ah, so he is talking about a review on Insider now. But where did the pinnock set come from? Wasn't he mentioning Pinnock's Mozart set? If so, where did the Dorati set come from? Is it Pinnock's Mozart vs Hogwood's Haydn?  8)

Pinnock's M. vs. Hogwood's M. and therefore, logically, to Hogwood's H. as well.
Regards,
Navneeth

Opus106

Quote from: Annie on September 16, 2013, 07:55:53 AM
Not necessarily.

Oh, I was simply distilling the thoughts of The Great Howitzer. ;D
Regards,
Navneeth

TheGSMoeller

The London Haydn Quartet's disc of Op.33 made it in Hurwitzer's "CD from Hell" series.

Karl Henning

Ah, that Hurwitz. Nice work if you can get it . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

DavidW

Quote from: Opus106 on September 16, 2013, 07:04:38 AM
Hi Dave. I don't know if you spotted this post  in the Listening thread; the set from Davies is available for ~ $30, shipped. Scrolling down that page, you can read what some of the other members have to say about it. :)

Ordered!  Thank you that is a steal!!!!!

Opus106

Quote from: DavidW on September 16, 2013, 09:07:24 AM
Ordered!  Thank you that is a steal!!!!!

You'll have to thank Tony. ;D Soon after I posted this, 'Le Bons...' blog also reported similar prices at the Amazons of the Continent. Over stock?
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

You lost me. Is giving a link prohibited too?

The link would be useless to anyone who doesn't have an Classics Today Insider subscription. If you have a subscription, you don't need a link: a search on the site will bring up the Hogwood review quickly enough.

Are you bad mouthing Dorati??  That's a no no ;D

Not at all. Why would you think that? And Hurwitz likes him too.

are you pro or against Hogwood???  :D

Irrelevant. My posts weren't about my preferences but were replies to posts from Daverz and Opus about Hurwitz.

Is Pinnock the best???

Hurwitz isn't thrilled by either Hogwood or Pinnock's Haydn (but he does think highly, very highly of Pinnock's Mozart box). Dorati he likes.

Who the hell is Howitzer?

The Hurwitzer (with a u) is my pun and nickname for David Hurwitz of Classics Today. I gave him that name for his offensive (in the military sense) review style. Reminds me of an artillery barrage  8)

Sarge

Opus106

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on September 16, 2013, 11:18:54 AM
Hurwitz isn't thrilled by either Hogwood or Pinnock's Haydn (but he does think highly, very highly of Pinnock's Mozart box). Dorati he likes.

Sarge

I totally forgot that Pinnock has recorded a chunk of Haydn too. :-[
Regards,
Navneeth

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Opus106 on September 16, 2013, 07:33:39 AM
No, it's not; but Sarge is probably aware that no-one else in this forum is *ahem* crazy enough to subscribe to the Insider. :D ;)

Yes, exactly. Although the voices in my head sometimes get confusing, I did hear that reason from one of my brain's co-hosts.

Quote from: Opus106 on September 16, 2013, 11:21:45 AM
I totally forgot that Pinnock has recorded a chunk of Haydn too. :-[

A great set of the Sturm und Drang Symphonies, plus 6/7/8.

Sarge

SonicMan46

Quote from: Opus106 on September 16, 2013, 07:04:38 AM

Hi Nav... - yes I've seen that Davies offering on those posts and have reviewed ratings on Amazon and elsewhere - unfortunately, I have some kind of 'allergy' to applause -  ;D  And to think of loud applause after over 100 performances simply is not my way - so, the reason for a no consideration to that release.  BUT, there will be others - thanks for the reference - Dave :)

TheGSMoeller

I need a new Op.64 SQ recording. I have the Buchberger Quartet Op.64 1-6, and am interested in the Mosaiques Quartet on Naive, but the cheapest I can find it right now is $13 for No.1, 3 and 6 and $33 for No.2, 4 and 5. which would be almost $50 for the complete set. I mainly want the Quartet for Strings in B minor, Op. 64 no 2/H 3 no 68 so if there was a single disc with this one I would consider it.

Thanks, Haus-mates, for any recs!  8)  :)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 16, 2013, 05:48:34 PM
I need a new Op.64 SQ recording. I have the Buchberger Quartet Op.64 1-6, and am interested in the Mosaiques Quartet on Naive, but the cheapest I can find it right now is $13 for No.1, 3 and 6 and $33 for No.2, 4 and 5. which would be almost $50 for the complete set. I mainly want the Quartet for Strings in B minor, Op. 64 no 2/H 3 no 68 so if there was a single disc with this one I would consider it.

The Mosaiques are glorious in the op.64, really daring and not afraid to draw out all the quirky pirouettes in the music. Top notch stuff.

There's an upcoming Haydn/Mosaiques reissue (box set) that someone linked to somewhere on the board but all I can find is the Amazon France issue.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mandryka

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on September 16, 2013, 05:48:34 PM

The best op64/2s aren't on period instruments, though Festetics aren't bad. My own favourite is the Caspar da Salo Quartet

I'll just mention in passing that one of my all time favourite Haydn records is op 64 /6 played by Pro Arte.

If it's any help I can upload the out of print ones, including Mosaiques, to symphonyshare.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen