Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Daverz on September 19, 2013, 08:42:00 PM
I don't know their Mozart.  Why are we talking about Mozart?

When it comes to the Mosaiques let it rain whomever. :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

DavidW

Now that I've bought the Davies set (symphonies), I don't regret it.  I popped in #88-90 and the sound quality is exceptional, the performances vibrant, energetic.  Listening to that cd was the best I've felt since I've been sick (a week and a half now and still sick).  Certainly not dull.  I look forward to hearing other cds and see if this will go beyond a first impression. :)

Wakefield

Quote from: DavidW on September 20, 2013, 03:02:09 PM
Now that I've bought the Davies set (symphonies), I don't regret it.  I popped in #88-90 and the sound quality is exceptional, the performances vibrant, energetic.  Listening to that cd was the best I've felt since I've been sick (a week and a half now and still sick).  Certainly not dull.  I look forward to hearing other cds and see if this will go beyond a first impression. :)

This is a good pretext to listen to the early symphonies.

They are exceptionally well played by Davies and his excellent lineup of violins.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Mandryka

Quote from: Scarpia on September 19, 2013, 06:30:09 AM
I normally don't listen to music on youtube, but I did find one of their Mozart recordings and listened to a bit.  The recordings struck me as okay, but not particularly remarkable, and I'm remembering why I sold them.  I got the recordings with very high expectations after reading that the quartet members had worked with Harnoncourt in the Concentus Musicus Wien.  The recordings were not bad, but had none of the magic I've come to expect from Harnoncourt and there was little to distinguish them from the many other recordings I have of this music.  I sold them based on that disappointment (although I kept one disc, with the Mozart clarinet quintet).  I probably should not have sold them, but I don't particularly care to buy them again.  Based on what little I've heard, the original instrument quartet I prefer is the Festetics, whose recordings are also out-of-print.  But original instruments string quartet recordings are not a high priority, for me, since it is mainly the sound of the wind instruments that draws me to original instrument recordings.

I agree with you. The QM Mozart quartets are very good, but  not as good as this music can be. The Festetics are wonderful  in the live recording - I forget where you get it from now, but I made a post about it. Of course, Festetics are never as zappy as the QM - that lively agreeable style may be why people like them.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mandryka on September 21, 2013, 12:52:11 AM
I agree with you. The QM Mozart quartets are very good, but  not as good as this music can be.

Just a $.02 moment, but I disagree with that wholeheartedly.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Mandryka

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 21, 2013, 06:16:51 AM
Just a $.02 moment, but I disagree with that wholeheartedly.

I guess all I'm saying is that, I think, for all of the last 10 quartets, I know several recordings  which I (much) prefer to hear. Part of the reason is that I think that the music needs a more tension, at least in the Mozart/Haydn series.

I've never understood the QM cult, even in Haydn.

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: Mandryka on September 22, 2013, 12:56:38 PM
Part of the reason is that I think that the music [from the QM] needs more tension, at least in the Mozart/Haydn series.

Wait, now I'm confused. There seems to be a contradiction. The above in red doesn't jive with the below in red:

Festetics are never as zappy as the QM - that lively agreeable style may be why people like them [the QM].

So do the QM have enough frisson or not? :)

Personally I find the QM have plenty of liveliness but it's their attention to the nuances in the music that I most admire, in both Mozart and Haydn.

QuoteI've never understood the QM cult, even in Haydn.

Calling it a "cult" is undercutting the QM's accomplishments and giving their popularity short shrift. As far as the former the QM have won at least two Gramophone Awards and with the latter, well, people have been talking about them on the web for as long as I can remember!

Parsifal

I agree with you. The QM Mozart quartets are very good, but  not as good as this music can be. The Festetics are wonderful  in the live recording - I forget where you get it from now, but I made a post about it. Of course, Festetics are never as zappy as the QM - that lively agreeable style may be why people like them.

My point of view is not that the QM recordings were lacking, just that the recordings were similar to recordings I already had and somewhat redundant in my collection. 

Mandryka

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 22, 2013, 07:58:31 PM
Wait, now I'm confused. There seems to be a contradiction. The above in red doesn't jive with the below in red:

So do the QM have enough frisson or not? :)

Personally I find the QM have plenty of liveliness but it's their attention to the nuances in the music that I most admire, in both Mozart and Haydn.

Calling it a "cult" is undercutting the QM's accomplishments and giving their popularity short shrift. As far as the former the QM have won at least two Gramophone Awards and with the latter, well, people have been talking about them on the web for as long as I can remember!

QM do not enough tension in Mozart for me. Is that really unclear from what I typed before? I must be going mad, but it still looks clear to me.

Have you heard the Petersen Quartet's Mozart? I'm listening to The Melos play The Hoffmeister as I type, that would be another. The Ebene set is a favourite for me. And so are some from The Smetana Quartet (The live from Salzburg). i've just started to explore a wnole bunch of Mozart records - The Alexander Quartet, the Orford and The Chilingirian. So far I feel very very positive about The Alexander Quartet.

Mandryka

Quote from: Scarpia on September 22, 2013, 08:48:23 PM
My point of view is not that the QM recordings were lacking, just that the recordings were similar to recordings I already had and somewhat redundant in my collection.

Oh, sorry. in that case we don't really agree.

Do you think the PI counts for much? (i'm inclined to say it doesn't, but I'm not sure)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on September 22, 2013, 07:58:31 PM

This.

Denigrating the other fellow's preference as a "cult" undercuts one's own intellectual position.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

You surprise me, Annie. "Cult" is mere insult, and the very practice of discrediting is an exercise of the mind.

So thank you for the compliment  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Brahmsian

Quote from: karlhenning on September 23, 2013, 04:06:08 AM
You surprise me, Annie. "Cult" is mere insult, and the very practice of discrediting is an exercise of the mind.

So thank you for the compliment  :)

And I just realize there is an Anne and an Annie.  A quick glance at the post count made me realize this.  :o :o

Karl Henning

Well, and I like the Boston Baroque recording of The Creation. Am I a member of a "cult" there, too?   ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Annie on September 23, 2013, 04:39:37 AM
I didn't even pay attention to the meaning. I was busy with denigrating your denigration of others' denigration  8)

We all need a hobby!  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Your generosity is noted. (Although, that may only be my opinion.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on September 23, 2013, 04:32:22 AM
Well, and I like the Boston Baroque recording of The Creation. Am I a member of a "cult" there, too?   ;)

We are the Cult of the Big Lizard. We adore Pearlman in all his manifestations.  0:)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on September 20, 2013, 03:11:48 PM
This is a good pretext to listen to the early symphonies.

They are exceptionally well played by Davies and his excellent lineup of violins.  :)

That's a good idea but I'll have to listen to at least one London, the Bear, and Mercury as well as an early one.  A nice mix would be good for this evening. 8)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: karlhenning on September 23, 2013, 04:32:22 AM
There is no evidence either way, but you are now suspect! :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

Quote from: mc ukrneal on September 23, 2013, 04:56:39 AM
There is no evidence either way, but you are now suspect! :)

Well, that'll teach me!  ;)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA