Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brahmsian

Karl Henning

Viz. the applause complaint (and at this price-point, I can endure much):  is it just at the end of the final symphony on a given disc?  At the end of every symphony?  At the end of every movement?

TIA
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

Quote from: karlhenning on October 03, 2013, 04:35:00 AM
Viz. the applause complaint (and at this price-point, I can endure much):  is it just at the end of the final symphony on a given disc?  At the end of every symphony?  At the end of every movement?

TIA

Applause is not something that annoys me.  What annoys me more is background coughing.

I have the live Beethoven cello sonatas set (du Pre/Barenboim).  Great performances, however, there is so much coughing in some spots, you'd thought this was recorded during the Bubonic Plague!  :blank:

TheGSMoeller

I feel as I'm being forced to consider the DRD set. I mean, I've paid $25 for a single Haydn disc before. And I'm on a mission to obtain every 45 and now 80 ever recorded.
Since I can't find any samples I have a few questions regarding the play style, I see its modern instruments but do the strings use vibrato? How many string players used in the performances? Harpsichord used in all 100+ symphonies?

I feel like such a Haydn Geek, but a proud Haydn Geek.  :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 03, 2013, 04:38:10 AM
I feel as I'm being forced to consider the DRD set [....]

I feel ya. I mean, it isn't as if I have already listened through the entire AAM box yet (incomplete as that set is).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on October 03, 2013, 04:47:18 AM
I feel ya. I mean, it isn't as if I have already listened through the entire AAM box yet (incomplete as that set is).

That's what happens, others get pushed back because of Haydn, even other Haydn discs! My wish list always gets pushed back when Fey releases new discs or something gets attention like this DRD set. Poor Dvorak has been sitting near my cart for weeks.

Karl Henning

Thanks! I think I must be able to find a 'work-around' . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Parsifal

Those concerned with the applause issue (and generally curious about the set) may find this link useful:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/6p54v4ea429m7y8/Davies.mp3

George

Quote from: Scarpia on October 03, 2013, 06:06:23 AM
Those concerned with the applause issue (and generally curious about the set) may find this link useful:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/6p54v4ea429m7y8/Davies.mp3

Looks like about 30 seconds of clapping at the end. If that is taken to be the usual:

30 seconds x 106 symphonies = 53 min of total applause
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: George on October 03, 2013, 06:20:17 AM
Looks like about 30 seconds of clapping at the end. If that is taken to be the usual:

30 seconds x 106 symphonies = 53 min of total applause

If someone is really desperate for applause, iTunes is selling the applause (from both before and after the performance) from most of Celibidache's EMI discs, ranging from $0.99 to $1.29.

George

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 03, 2013, 06:41:47 AM
If someone is really desperate for applause, iTunes is selling the applause (from both before and after the performance) from most of Celibidache's EMI discs, ranging from $0.99 to $1.29.

Yeah, but it doesn't sound like applause, due to the slow tempo.

;)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: George on October 03, 2013, 06:43:08 AM

;)

It's got to be the slowest timed applause from any applauded recording.  ???  :)

George

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 03, 2013, 06:47:31 AM
It's got to be the slowest timed applause from any applauded recording.  ???  :)

I was teasing because Celibidache's Bruckner tempos for EMI are famous for their slow tempos.

I always program my CD player to avoid both the starting and ending applause.

I also noticed in the sample Scarpia posted that it would have been very easy for them to either edit out the applause or make it a separate track. There's enough space between the end of the music and the start of the applause.

kishnevi

ImportCDs emailed me to say my order (placed last night) was already shipped on DHL/USPS today.

Brahmsian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 03, 2013, 03:14:04 PM
ImportCDs emailed me to say my order (placed last night) was already shipped on DHL/USPS today.

*pounds the table*

I've just received word from them an hour ago, confirming shipment!  :)

TheGSMoeller

Guess who didn't like the DRD set  ::) .... The Hurwitzer.

With a nice counter review from Fanfare's James H. North who blasts other critics (second to last paragraph) who made some negative comments regarding this set.

Parsifal

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 03, 2013, 07:33:06 PM
Guess who didn't like the DRD set  ::) .... The Hurwitzer.

With a nice counter review from Fanfare's James H. North who blasts other critics (second to last paragraph) who made some negative comments regarding this set.

Hurwitz gets my grudging admiration for being able to make a living writing that nonsense.

DavidW

I enjoyed the thorough fanfare review Greg, thanks for linking it.  It really shows how superficial and brief Classics Today reviews are in comparison.

Madiel

Quote from: George on October 03, 2013, 06:43:08 AM

;)

Biggest laugh-out-loud of my day!
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

jlaurson

Quote from: Scarpia on October 03, 2013, 08:33:55 PM
Hurwitz gets my grudging admiration for being able to make a living writing that nonsense.

;D :'( ;D

I love how, on that review, to visually support the claim that everything is shoddy, they deliberate (you can bet your behind on that!) used the absolutely worst image-cover available for that set...
Insidious, one might say.