Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parsifal

Quote from: jlaurson on October 05, 2013, 02:47:45 AMlove how, on that review, to visually support the claim that everything is shoddy, they deliberate (you can bet your behind on that!) used the absolutely worst image-cover available for that set...
Insidious, one might say.

NY Times did it all the time for Bush.

jlaurson

Quote from: Scarpia on October 05, 2013, 05:21:42 AM
NY Times did it all the time for Bush.

Not saying he came up with the concept.  :D

TheGSMoeller

Hey, Haus-Mates!

What's the story with all the DRD/Haydn purchases? Mine is en route (in Chattanooga to be precise), and am eagerly looking forward to spinning these. Just curious if anyone has received theirs yet and what they think?

Daverz

Arrrgh!  I already have enough choices to make when I want to listen to any Haydn Symphony.

kishnevi

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 10, 2013, 05:39:18 PM
Hey, Haus-Mates!

What's the story with all the DRD/Haydn purchases? Mine is en route (in Chattanooga to be precise), and am eagerly looking forward to spinning these. Just curious if anyone has received theirs yet and what they think?

As posted in the Purchases thread, mine landed today.  Although it  will be a bit before I listen to it.  I'm still finishing the Hogwood/AAM box (currently playing CD 26 as I type this) and the Fischer cycle remains unlistened to.  And that's just the Haydn part of Mount Listen To.

Daverz

I wonder if anyone will ever dig up and transfer the tapes for the old Maerzendorfer set.  And then there are all those wonderful Leslie Jones Lps.  I know Haydn House has ripped these, but I didn't think much of their work.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 10, 2013, 07:07:16 PM
As posted in the Purchases thread, mine landed today.  Although it  will be a bit before I listen to it.  I'm still finishing the Hogwood/AAM box (currently playing CD 26 as I type this) and the Fischer cycle remains unlistened to.  And that's just the Haydn part of Mount Listen To.

That's a lot of Haydn, Jeffrey. How are you liking Hogwood so far?

kishnevi

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 10, 2013, 07:24:34 PM
That's a lot of Haydn, Jeffrey. How are you liking Hogwood so far?

So far, so good.
Actually, so far, so very good.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 10, 2013, 07:28:47 PM
So far, so good.
Actually, so far, so very good.

Good to hear. I don't have the set, only some individual discs of symphonies and several concerto discs, but the Hogwood/Haydns are wonderful. Moving from Hogwod to DRD or Fischer will make for an interesting contrast.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 10, 2013, 07:07:16 PM
. . . I'm still finishing the Hogwood/AAM box . . . .

That's the boat I'm in, too!

I've listened to the last [DRD] CD, with the "Clock" and the Sinfonia concertante, and this is great stuff.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

DavidW

I've listened to all of the Storm and Stress symphonies so far.  I don't agree with the Fanfare review that the tempos are slow, it seems to be the opposite.  I can't immediately compare with Hogwood because it has been a few months.  The excellent sound quality, swift tempos and small orchestra add up to excellent recordings.  I still hate the applause.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: DavidW on October 11, 2013, 03:30:39 AM
I've listened to all of the Storm and Stress symphonies so far.  I don't agree with the Fanfare review that the tempos are slow, it seems to be the opposite.  I can't immediately compare with Hogwood because it has been a few months.  The excellent sound quality, swift tempos and small orchestra add up to excellent recordings.  I still hate the applause.

Great! Thanks for the feedback, David.

DavidW

I hope that you enjoy them Greg! :)

Brahmsian

Hey, Haus-Mates!

Mine is on route too, Greg!  Looking forward to digging into the set once it arrives. As I mentioned before, I've only heard about a dozen or so Haydn symphonies to date.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 11, 2013, 06:03:07 AM
I've only heard about a dozen or so Haydn symphonies to date.

Well you have about 7 dozen more to listen to!  ;D

TheGSMoeller

Somewhere Karl posted a pic of his DRD box set arrival. I came home just now late from work to a similar image...

...which was opened by my wife. Who I'm guessing had a reaction along the lines of, "37 f***ing CDs? Is he crazy?"
I'm sure I'll have some explaining to do  ;D
Anyway,I ordered Amazon and it arrived in exactly 48 hrs.

TheGSMoeller

*Double Posting*

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 12, 2013, 05:01:44 AM
Modern Instruments can play Haydn!  8)
Chose No.53 and 70 as my first symphonies to listen to from this set. Perfectly recorded with all the beautiful middle and lower voices clearly defined, especially the winds. Harpsichord noticeable at times but it's never too much *cough*Goodman*cough*
Only 2 symphonies in and I already like this set much more than the Hurwitzer.  $:)  <---critic police

HIPster

Hello Haydn fans!

I am listening to this CD at the moment and wanted to share with you my appreciation of this (to me) very fine release:
[asin]B00000E3XL[/asin]

I first discovered these symphonies via an old Max Goberman LP and they have remained favorites for many years.

I am considering another set of these works and am looking at Goodman, Hasselbock and the Frieburger Barockorchester.  I've loved everything I've heard from the F.B.O, they're an easy sell to me.  The Goodman interests me, largely because some of what I've read, mentions the prominence of the harpsichord continuo, which interests me as I do like that instrument.  Both the Goodman and the Hasselbock are available cheaply at BRO; another consideration.

Thank you for any advice!
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: HIPster on October 12, 2013, 10:55:09 AM
Hello Haydn fans!

I am considering another set of these works and am looking at Goodman, Hasselbock and the Frieburger Barockorchester.  I've loved everything I've heard from the F.B.O, they're an easy sell to me.  The Goodman interests me, largely because some of what I've read, mentions the prominence of the harpsichord continuo, which interests me as I do like that instrument.  Both the Goodman and the Hasselbock are available cheaply at BRO; another consideration.

Can't go wrong with these two which are both on PI. Both recent acquisitions for me (within the past year or two) but easily two of the best recordings of 6,7 & 8 I've heard.

Wakefield

Quote from: HIPster on October 12, 2013, 10:55:09 AM
Hello Haydn fans!

I am listening to this CD at the moment and wanted to share with you my appreciation of this (to me) very fine release:
[asin]B00000E3XL[/asin]

I first discovered these symphonies via an old Max Goberman LP and they have remained favorites for many years.

That "Pinocchio" looks very tempting!  :)

My favourite recording of the hours of the day is that by the Freiburgers (Hasselbock is very close, though). It's beautifully recorded and performed by a small ensemble which also includes a very vivid harpsichord, so you would kill two birds with one stone.  :) 
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire