Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 16, 2013, 04:38:12 PM
Agreed here, it is very lovely!  From the very opening, I could see how perhaps it being an Overture of an opera.  At least, it seems to have that feel.

Very interesting!  :)

Yes, a lot of fun to listen to. Of course, that whole lineup was a peach. I just don't see people recognizing #12 very often. One of the problems with having such a huge oeuvre; even the highlights get lost in the crowd. Especially true when it is mostly highlights!   :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 16, 2013, 04:45:48 PM
Yes, a lot of fun to listen to. Of course, that whole lineup was a peach. I just don't see people recognizing #12 very often. One of the problems with having such a huge oeuvre; even the highlights get lost in the crowd. Especially true when it is mostly highlights!   :)

8)

That is true.  Only repeated listens over and over would help solve that to some degree.  Each has its own unique, and original air and energy to it.

Wow, this is a VERY driving finale (to the #12).  An incisive momemtum to it.  Love it!!  8)

Madiel

There's nothing like a nickname to help a piece along, but we really do have to stop calling the 'Miracle' the 'Miracle', because it wasn't being played when the 'miracle' happened.  We could perhaps call it the 'Former Miracle', so long as we start calling the true 'miracle'-linked symphony something like the 'Actual Miracle'.

Yes it was fun writing 'Miracle' (and 'miracle') that often, and yes I was doing it on purpose.  :P
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 15, 2013, 12:41:39 PMThe acquisition of ones first complete Haydn symphonies is a landmark on anyone's musical adventure.

It took me 27 years to reach that CD landmark. (In the LP days I had 31 Haydn symphonies.) Acquiring Haydn CDs started in 1985 with Hogwood's 94 & 96 "Miracle" (...Miracle...Miracle...Miracle...yeah, that's fun  ;D ) and finally reached completion last year when I bought CDs containing 10, 11, 32 and 62. I resisted the complete boxes, dragging out the suspense and sweet agony  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

When you've snaffled a complete set of the symphonies, you're certainly in da Haus . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brahmsian

Has anyone ever gone on an uninterrupted Haydn symphony journey?  Listening to all of them, without anything else in between. *

*Except for occasional pee breaks and food and water  :D

Brahmsian

Quote from: karlhenning on October 17, 2013, 04:10:08 AM
When you've snaffled a complete set of the symphonies, you're certainly in da Haus . . . .

Well, I can proudly now say that not only am I in da Haus, but Haydn is in this Nuss' Haus!   :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 17, 2013, 03:50:40 AM
It took me 27 years to reach that CD landmark. (In the LP days I had 31 Haydn symphonies). Acquiring Haydn CDs started in 1985 with Hogwood's 94 & 96 "Miracle" (...Miracle...Miracle...Miracle...yeah, that's fun  ;D ) and finally reached completion last year when I bought CDs containing 10, 11, 32 and 62. I resisted the complete boxes, dragging out the suspense and sweet agony  8)

Sarge

My only truly complete set is Fischer, and I probably wouldn't have IT except that it came with the Big Box by default. The Kodaly set on Naxos was absolutely on purpose, though. Still no regrets there, because really needed to be able to hear all of them at will, which is not so easy. It remains my only complete set, since QF, QM, Salomon don't have Op 1 & 2, and Salomon doesn't have Op 76 either. And it looks like LHQ won't have 1 & 2 either. I suppose I can't complain since I have been arguing that they aren't really string quartets anyway. :-\

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 17, 2013, 04:10:49 AM
Has anyone ever gone on an uninterrupted Haydn symphony journey?  Listening to all of them, without anything else in between. *

*Except for occasional pee breaks and food and water  :D

What kind of a question is that? Of course, I can't be the only one.... guys?

(PS - those adult diapers work well, just sayin').

8)

Sergeant Rock

Has anyone ever gone on an uninterrupted Haydn symphony journey?  Listening to all of them, without anything else in between.

I think I'm incapable of doing that. I need variety. My usual listening habit is to leap centuries between works, e.g., follow Haydn with something from the 20th century. Haydn, though, is one composer I can listen to for quite long stretches without tiring. He's that engaging. But listening to nothing but the symphonies for a few weeks?...no, it would be like eating nothing but your favorite meal every day for a month.

Sarge

DavidW

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 17, 2013, 04:36:04 AM
But listening to nothing but the symphonies for a few weeks?...no, it would be like eating nothing but your favorite meal every day for a month.

Sarge

No Ray means in less than two days!

Gurn Blanston

I think I'm incapable of doing that. I need variety. My usual listening habit is to leap centuries between works, e.g., follow Haydn with something from the 20th century. Haydn, though, is one composer I can listen to for quite long stretches without tiring. He's that engaging. But listening to nothing but the symphonies for a few weeks?...no, it would be like eating nothing but your favorite meal every day for a month.

Sarge

It doesn't take that long.....  0:)

8)

Karl Henning

Sarge

Very close to my own soul.

Mind you, I can understand Gurn's ability to do this, and I do not find it . . . crazy.   :laugh:   But I don't believe I could assay it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Brian

Although Sarge is right about eating your favorite meal every day for a month, I'll chime in to say that one time on a weekend trip to another city, I listened to the complete Weil/Tafelmusik box on the drive. That's 21 symphonies in two-and-a-half days. Around the 15 or 16 mark I did start getting sick of them, so it's lucky I'd saved my favorites (e.g. the Bear) for the end.

That's why this weekend on my road trip, I'm bringing only a dozen or so Haydn symphonies and the rest of the drive will be Dave Brubeck Quartet. High contrast, another Sarge trademark!

Brahmsian

Quote from: DavidW on October 17, 2013, 04:37:58 AM

No, not really Dave.  :D  The timeframe was open.  Just all symphonies (without any other music listened to in between).

Otherwise, you would need those diapers Gurn mentioned of!  ;D

DavidW

Quote from: ChamberNut on October 17, 2013, 04:51:02 AM
No, not really Dave.  :D  The timeframe was open.  Just all symphonies (without any other music listened to in between).

Otherwise, you would need those diapers Gurn mentioned of!  ;D

Well you used the word uninterrupted.  For the other case, yes I have.  And others have as well.  I listened to the Fischer box over the course of a month.  A cd or two a day.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: DavidW on October 17, 2013, 04:37:58 AM

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 17, 2013, 04:38:13 AM
It doesn't take that long.....  0:)

8)

Ah...I see "...without anything else in between" --not even sleep? Nut is suggesting something really nutty then  :laugh:  Nah, we have to sleep (and nap!...well, I'm old  ;D ) Let's see: an average 20 minutes per symphony, three per hour, 48 in a 16 hour day; 96 in two days and a morning session on the third day to wrap things up. Doable, in two and half days, I suppose, but still, I would not want to attempt it.

Edit: I see Nut has clarified things.

Sarge

DavidW

Hey Sarge have you listened to Wagner's Ring in one sitting?

Gurn Blanston

In the interest of full disclosure, I don't listen to music like that. I have all my Haydn broken up by year of composition. So I might listen to 3 or 4 years uninterrupted (which is a heck of a lot of music) but it includes the gamut of genres that he composed in. That is so nice that I might do it again soon. Hmmm, lets see here. How about 1775?  OK, works for me. ;)

8)

DavidW

Quote from: sanantonio on October 17, 2013, 05:01:57 AM
Don't forget that hour of applause is you are listening to the DRD set.

:P

lol

And skip that applause and you'll be punished!  You will have to marathon listen to the complete works of Telemann without food or water! :D