Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 24, 2013, 05:29:19 AM
Many of you expressed an interest in some of the early symphonies. I have been working on that topic in my blog, including this post yesterday....Hope you have time to check it out.

Good read...and now I'll just have to listen to 34 and 13  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 24, 2013, 05:55:04 AM
Good read...and now I'll just have to listen to 34 and 13  8)

Sarge

Thanks, Sarge. When I was researching that post I realized that 34 was a mystery even to me. I replayed it several times to get a feel for it. Somehow I thought that Haydn's first minor key symphony would have gained some sort of fame if for no other reason.  :-\

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brian

Added Nos. 34 and 72 to today's listening as I drive downtown to meet a friend for lunch at the Pecan Lodge, Texas Monthly's official #2-ranked barbecue joint in Texas...

Will report back on both the symphonies and the lunch! By the way, yesterday I listened to DRD/Stuttgart's "Palindrome" and "Farewell" symphonies, and am starting to agree with the criticism leveled by the Hurwitzer, that the opening allegros are too slow/stodgy. Tafelmusik/Weil's "Farewell" opens so aggressively, it's like getting a bucket of ice water thrown at your head. Whereas DRD's is more like a stranger frowning at you.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on November 24, 2013, 07:32:14 AM
Added Nos. 34 and 72 to today's listening as I drive downtown to meet a friend for lunch at the Pecan Lodge, Texas Monthly's official #2-ranked barbecue joint in Texas...

Will report back on both the symphonies and the lunch! By the way, yesterday I listened to DRD/Stuttgart's "Palindrome" and "Farewell" symphonies, and am starting to agree with the criticism leveled by the Hurwitzer, that the opening allegros are too slow/stodgy. Tafelmusik/Weil's "Farewell" opens so aggressively, it's like getting a bucket of ice water thrown at your head. Whereas DRD's is more like a stranger frowning at you.

It is MY belief that #45 should open like a bucket of ice water being thrown at your head. Weil does that well, so do Solomons and Immerseel. People have traditionally criticized the HIP way of doing things, but kicking some slowpokes in the ass at appropriate times is one of the virtues of HIP playing. Allegro assai is Allegro assai and should be played as such. Boy, that's two great works to listen to, though. :)

8)

Madiel

That Hogwood box set of symphonies looks quite interesting, and those listening to it seem to like it. Yes? Thoughts?

It strikes me as a good way of getting a recording of all the 'earlier' works while minimising overlap with what little I've got. I have a recording of the 'London' symphonies, and from earlier discussions here I've got my eyes on Kujiken for symphonies 82-92.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: orfeo on November 24, 2013, 04:49:23 PM
That Hogwood box set of symphonies looks quite interesting, and those listening to it seem to like it. Yes? Thoughts?

It strikes me as a good way of getting a recording of all the 'earlier' works while minimising overlap with what little I've got. I have a recording of the 'London' symphonies, and from earlier discussions here I've got my eyes on Kujiken for symphonies 82-92.

Precisely so. I would not be without it. There are alternatives that one can pick up as one goes along, but for the first 75 plus 4 of the London's, you would be hard pressed to surpass this. The final 30 or so have plenty of alternatives available so no problem getting any or all of those in very good versions. :)

8)

Madiel

I see Mr Hurwitz gave a volume 3 marks out of 10.  Around here I gather this is an affirmation of the disc's quality.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: orfeo on November 24, 2013, 05:01:06 PM
I see Mr Hurwitz gave a volume 3 marks out of 10.  Around here I gather this is an affirmation of the disc's quality.

I don't care for the bastard even during those rare occasions when I agree with him. Somewhere he writes that the period instruments sound good except he doesn't like the horns, they should play with modern horns. Does it require much thought to see the silliness in that statement?  :)

So yes, affirmation indeed!

8)

Old Listener

Quote from: orfeo on November 24, 2013, 04:49:23 PM

If I didn't own 1/2 to 2/3 of the Hogwood symphonies, I'd buy the box.  The performances don't wear out on me.

As a way to get a 1st set of all the Haydn before 82, I still  like the Adam Fischer set.  His 1-81 are fine.  82-104 are not special and have the Nimbus sound.

For a single set of 88-92, the Rattle / BPO set is an easy choice.  I especially like the performance of 90.  Good performances of 91 are not plentiful and his is good.

Bill

Brian

Quote from: Brian on November 24, 2013, 07:32:14 AM

No. 34 is a tough nut to crack - that first movement lament is so sincere and so impassioned that I, too, felt like I was hearing another "side" of Haydn, but then it's back to his usual merriment for the next three. Shostakovich's Sixth Symphony comes to mind, oddly, but that's another symphony with a funereal opener that dwarfs the rest and sort of challenges you with the contrast.

No. 72 was a really nice piece.

The barbecue was fairly good - the brisket was special, I was able to cut one slice with my fork (though not the other slice). Great link of spicy, thick sausage. On the other hand, dull fried okra and mediocre mac'n'cheese, and they were kinda stingy on the onion slices. If this is #2, I must be pickier than anyone else in Texas.

SonicMan46

Huss, Manfred - I've really enjoyed his performances over the years - now listening to the Music for Prince Esterházy & the King of Naples, also own the Early Divertimenti box - total of 11 CDs in those 2 boxes. I have the Overtures set (believe 2 discs), too - any comments on some of Huss' other Papa Haydn offerings?  Thanks - Dave :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 25, 2013, 11:49:41 AM
Huss, Manfred - I've really enjoyed his performances over the years - now listening to the Music for Prince Esterházy & the King of Naples, also own the Early Divertimenti box - total of 11 CDs in those 2 boxes. I have the Overtures set (believe 2 discs), too - any comments on some of Huss' other Papa Haydn offerings?  Thanks - Dave :)

Hey Dave!

I have the entire range of them. The '3 Theatrical Symphonies' disk will duplicate some music that you already have, albeit in fine performances in their own right. The first Italian opera, Acide, is the only recorded performance of that work. You can read my comments about it here, to save me rewriting it. The single disk Opera at Eszterháza is really very good, it features arias from various operas with soloists like Miah Persson. If you aren't an opera guy, this will give you a good taste without overwhelming you. The marionette opera, Philemon and Baucis is interesting and enjoyable, although I haven't explored it in depth yet, just a couple of listens. I have no regrets for having the entire set, the band plays great and their choice of music is off the beaten path, as you have discovered with those 2 boxes you already have!  :)

8)

Brahmsian

Tonight, Disc 1 and Disc 37 (the book ends)  :D of the Dennis Russell Davies and Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra set!  :)

Disc 1

Symphony No. 1 in D major - Wow!  Quite a debut symphony.  Marvelous, and quite mature sounding, to my ears.
Symphony No. 37 in C major - This one has a really splendid trio in that II. movt. Menuet.
Symphony No. 18 in G major
Symphony No. 2 in D major

Disc 37

Symphony No. 101 in D major "The Clock"  Great Adagio intro, and what a truly sublime Andante II. mvt.  :)
Symphony No. 105 in B flat major "Sinfonia Concertante"  Brilliant!!  Definitely more of a multiple instrument concerto feel, beautifully played solo instrumental passages.

That's it until December.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 25, 2013, 04:53:28 PM
Tonight, Disc 1 and Disc 37 (the book ends)  :D of the Dennis Russell Davies and Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra set!  :)

Disc 1

Symphony No. 1 in D major - Wow!  Quite a debut symphony.  Marvelous, and quite mature sounding, to my ears.
Symphony No. 37 in C major - This one has a really splendid trio in that II. movt. Menuet.
Symphony No. 18 in G major
Symphony No. 2 in D major

Disc 37

Symphony No. 103 in D major "The Clock"  Great Adagio intro, and what a truly sublime Andante II. mvt.  :)
Symphony No. 105 in B flat major "Sinfonia Concertante"  Brilliant!!  Definitely more of a multiple instrument concerto feel, beautifully played solo instrumental passages.

That's it until December.  :)

Great choices, Ray. I see you had the same impression of #1 as I did. Interesting. :)

FYI, just in the event that they didn't tell you this bit, 1, 37, 18 & 2 are actually symphonies 1, 2, 3 & 4 chronologically. So you really are listening from the beginning. :)

8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 25, 2013, 04:53:28 PM
Symphony No. 103 101 in D major "The Clock"  Great Adagio intro, and what a truly sublime Andante II. mvt.  :)

Corrected your typo. 101 is one of my favorites (although with Haydn symphonies a non-favorite list would be considerably shorter  8) )

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brahmsian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on November 26, 2013, 02:17:41 AM
Corrected your typo. 101 is one of my favorites (although with Haydn symphonies a non-favorite list would be considerably shorter  8) )

Sarge

Oops, thanks Sarge!  :)  I've now made the edit.  How could I have put # 103?  I must have been thinking of perhaps my favourite (if I could chose only one), that being the 'Drumroll' symphony.  :D

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on November 25, 2013, 12:35:35 PM
Hey Dave!

I have the entire range of them. The '3 Theatrical Symphonies' disk will duplicate some music that you already have, albeit in fine performances in their own right. The first Italian opera, Acide, is the only recorded performance of that work. You can read my comments about it here, to save me rewriting it. The single disk Opera at Eszterháza is really very good, it features arias from various operas with soloists like Miah Persson. If you aren't an opera guy, this will give you a good taste without overwhelming you. The marionette opera, Philemon and Baucis is interesting and enjoyable, although I haven't explored it in depth yet, just a couple of listens. I have no regrets for having the entire set, the band plays great and their choice of music is off the beaten path, as you have discovered with those 2 boxes you already have!  :)

8)

Hi Gurn - thanks for the comments above; Susan & I are not really opera fans - we have the Piedmont Opera locally & also national traveling operas coming through Charlotte often but have never gone - we did see an opera at the Met a couple of visits ago (Verdi) - an experience but felt no need to go back; my father had series tickets decades ago to traveling operas put on @ the Toledo Museum of Art; mother refused to go so I was usually dragged along - maybe that's the issue?  SO, don't own any operas at all - guess that my substitute is having a LOT of cantatas, especially of Bach. :)  Dave

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on November 26, 2013, 07:16:41 AM
Hi Gurn - thanks for the comments above; Susan & I are not really opera fans - we have the Piedmont Opera locally & also national traveling operas coming through Charlotte often but have never gone - we did see an opera at the Met a couple of visits ago (Verdi) - an experience but felt no need to go back; my father had series tickets decades ago to traveling operas put on @ the Toledo Museum of Art; mother refused to go so I was usually dragged along - maybe that's the issue?  SO, don't own any operas at all - guess that my substitute is having a LOT of cantatas, especially of Bach. :)  Dave

Hey, Dave,
Well I can understand not going for Romantic Grand Opera, I find it to be a bit OTT myself! Haydn's operas, and Classical operas in the Gluckian tradition in general, tend to be lighter fare. Haydn's Prince, by all accounts, was partial to long recitatives, and so there is a lot of that, but if you aren't doing it to follow the plot, you can just listen to the arias and duettos and it is highly satisfactory. That's why I was thinking that this one would find favor with you;

[asin]B002YC22IK[/asin]

Haydn had a tremendous skill for writing arias. Even I like them, and I wouldn't touch a cantata... :)

8)

kishnevi

Quote from: ChamberNut on November 26, 2013, 03:09:16 AM
Oops, thanks Sarge!  :)  I've now made the edit.  How could I have put # 103?  I must have been thinking of perhaps my favourite (if I could chose only one), that being the 'Drumroll' symphony.  :D

And on the principle that even "Homer nods" ,  even the Maven of Mavens, the Haydnisto of Haydnistos did not catch it (see reply 6075)