Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: orfeo on December 09, 2013, 04:41:33 AM
Which is why nicknames, usually based on the dedicatees, are so helpful wherever possible.  If you said that this E major trio was 'Jansen 2' I'd personally feel much more secure.
Even with the nicknames, I can rarely remember one Haydn piece from another.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: orfeo on December 09, 2013, 04:41:33 AM
Which is why nicknames, usually based on the dedicatees, are so helpful wherever possible.  If you said that this E major trio was 'Jansen 2' I'd personally feel much more secure.

Yes, but you can hardly start now, 200+ years ex post facto. I can barely make myself call Symphony 100 'Military', and it was called that even in Haydn's own time. A series of new nicknames would be distinctly unpalatable for many. :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Madiel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 09, 2013, 04:45:29 AM
Yes, but you can hardly start now, 200+ years ex post facto. I can barely make myself call Symphony 100 'Military', and it was called that even in Haydn's own time. A series of new nicknames would be distinctly unpalatable for many. :-\

8)

If you ask me, 'Military' is one of the better nicknames, because it's got some decent connection to the music. 'Drumroll' and 'Surprise' are useful, but only for a few seconds each. 'Clock' manages to be right for one movement.

I've dispensed with 'Miracle' because it's not even attached to the right work. Although I do occasionally think of 'False Miracle' and 'True Miracle'.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 09, 2013, 04:45:29 AMA series of new nicknames would be distinctly unpalatable for many. :-\

Excepting "Cat" for 99. All true lovers of Haydn want to see that nickname stick  :D 8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

The Cat is coming back!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 08, 2013, 11:28:27 AM
With the intolerable weather outside, and the wife putting up the Christmas tree, I decided to get ahead of my schedule and post the next installment of HaydnSeek today. If you would like to check it out, here is a link to it;

Not to give the impression here that Haydn was hung up on writing Church Symphonies; that's just me. He was busy writing all sorts of other music too. Like these two works which are more typical of the work he was doing at the time, which was raising the symphony out of the muck in which it was born....[/color][/url]

8)

Another good read, Gurn, and inspiration for this afternoon's listening session. I just heard Hogwood's 24. I don't feel the "controlled lunacy" or the "phrenzy and fire" though. Not that it's not inherent in the music (I can imagine Fey bringing it out) but rather Hogwood's rather stately interpretation seems to downplay that aspect. I'll give Fischer a chance latter (those are the only two 24ths I have).

Sarge

Karl Henning

Hobbitish Haydnistas gather 'round . . . I presently have these volumes:

4 :: Symphonies nos. 34, 39, 40 & 50
9 :: Symphonies nos. 70, 73 & 75
14 :: Symphony no. 31, Hn Cti nos. 1 & 2
17 :: Symphonies nos. 1, 4, 5 & 10
21 :: Symphonies nos. 99, 100 & Overtures

What one or two are indispensible additions?

TIA . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 09, 2013, 05:14:03 AM
Another good read, Gurn, and inspiration for this afternoon's listening session. I just heard Hogwood's 24. I don't feel the "controlled lunacy" or the "phrenzy and fire" though. Not that it's not inherent in the music (I can imagine Fey bringing it out) but rather Hogwood's rather stately interpretation seems to downplay that aspect. I'll give Fischer a chance latter (those are the only two 24ths I have).

Sargar

Thanks, Sarge. I'm not sure that modern musicians, even ones of the stature of the AAM, can bring themselves to play some works from that time period at the speed that they were meant to be played. Goodman is quite a bit more zippy, but even so, not so much as just reading the score or hearing contemporary descriptions will have prepared you for. If it were possible, I would love to have all those players sit in a room with Haydn and let him lead them on. I suspect it would be revelatory (if not downright spooky! :o   :o )

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 09, 2013, 05:06:51 AM
Excepting "Cat" for 99. All true lovers of Haydn want to see that nickname stick  :D 8)

Sarge

Well, that one for sure, but no others though... :)  I'm just basically against the nickname idea, it didn't take a lot of discipline to learn the main numbering system, and then everyone knows what is what. :)

8)

Karl Henning

Did you post about the divers Miracles, O Gurn?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on December 09, 2013, 06:37:51 AM
Did you post about the divers Miracles, O Gurn?

Nah, hell, I'm only up to 1764  :-\

8)

Karl Henning

Pace yourself, dude! And power to you, love your blog and overall efforts!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on December 09, 2013, 06:42:51 AM
Pace yourself, dude! And power to you, love your blog and overall efforts!

Thank you, kind sir. I do it when I can; nothing for a week, then 3 essays in 2 days. As the muse moves me, I guess. :)

8)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on December 09, 2013, 05:20:01 AM
Hobbitish Haydnistas gather 'round . . . I presently have these volumes:

4 :: Symphonies nos. 34, 39, 40 & 50
9 :: Symphonies nos. 70, 73 & 75
14 :: Symphony no. 31, Hn Cti nos. 1 & 2
17 :: Symphonies nos. 1, 4, 5 & 10
21 :: Symphonies nos. 99, 100 & Overtures

What one or two are indispensible additions?

TIA . . . .

70/73/75...a must own. A Hurwitzer 10/10 and really deserves an 11/11  8) ;)

99 is Haydn's first symphony with clarinets and so I think it would be especially appealing to you, Karl. What's unique about Fey's Cat is the woodwind detail. In a sense it really made me hear the symphony, at least Haydn's brilliant wind writing, for the first time (I compared it to the other nine in my collection and none have Fey's razor sharp clarity). On the downside, and possibly a problem for some, the strings are rather backwardly placed, especially in the first movement. Fey's "Military" is good too but not as revelatory. In fact, I might actually prefer Kuijken here.

Fey's horns are superb so the disc with 31 and the concertos is very appealing (as is No.5 on the early symphonies volume).

Sarge

Madiel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 09, 2013, 06:36:15 AM
it didn't take a lot of discipline to learn the main numbering system, and then everyone knows what is what. :)

That's all very well for the groups of works that HAVE a 'main numbering system'.  Meanwhile in the lands of piano trio and keyboard sonata...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: orfeo on December 09, 2013, 11:55:16 AM
That's all very well for the groups of works that HAVE a 'main numbering system'.  Meanwhile in the lands of piano trio and keyboard sonata...

No, as much as we hate it, Hoboken is the de facto standard, everything else is pushed to the rear, despite probably being superior in many ways.  You can know keyboard sonata #29 all day long, but even given the fact that Landon 29 is probably more accurate, if you want a recording of it, or the sheet music, you are going to need to know that it is Hob 16:45, no matter how little sense that makes. Even if it were Haydn's 'Moonlight Sonata'!  That's all I'm saying.  :)

8)

Madiel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 09, 2013, 12:26:42 PM
No, as much as we hate it, Hoboken is the de facto standard, everything else is pushed to the rear, despite probably being superior in many ways.  You can know keyboard sonata #29 all day long, but even given the fact that Landon 29 is probably more accurate, if you want a recording of it, or the sheet music, you are going to need to know that it is Hob 16:45, no matter how little sense that makes. Even if it were Haydn's 'Moonlight Sonata'!  That's all I'm saying.  :)

8)

Well no, the whole reason the conversation even came up is because lots of recordings ignore the Hoboken numbering and go with Landon numbering instead.

GuybrushThreepwood

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 04, 2013, 05:08:34 PM
I have both of their disks and am very fond of them. I like their style. I particularly enjoy the disk you pictured. The Op 74 #1 is as good as it gets. :)

8)

Gurn, would you recommend the vol.2 with closed eyes? I have not been able to find any review, and since it is a SACD I find it a little too pricey.

Regards.