Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: GuybrushThreepwood on December 09, 2013, 05:13:05 PM
Gurn, would you recommend the vol.2 with closed eyes? I have not been able to find any review, and since it is a SACD I find it a little too pricey.

Regards.

Well, you're right, it IS a bit pricey. I'm not much of a recommender, it goes against my nature really, but I don't mind saying what I like, and I like these. If you are of a mind, Amazon have the MP3's and you could download one for ~$4US and give it a try. Especially good way to use up those bonus MP3 credits that Amazon give you for buying something and which usually expire before you get a chance to use them. :)  Op 64 #6 is very nice.

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 09, 2013, 05:47:52 PM
. . . I'm not much of a recommender, it goes against my nature really, but I don't mind saying what I like, and I like these.

I like this.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

GuybrushThreepwood

Quote from: karlhenning on December 10, 2013, 04:21:56 AM
I like this.

I was both moved and convinced by that statement: added to the wish list.

Brian

Naxos has changed up the performers in their Haydn trios series.

Simon Crawford-Phillips is the same pianist who recorded previous volumes with the Kungsbacka Trio. Matthew Truscott has been concertmaster of the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, King's Consort, and English Concert. Richard Lester is in the Florestan Trio and London Haydn Quartet.

The booklet says, "Whilst the Bartolozzi Trio nods respectfully to the now considerable knowledge of period practice its concern is focused more on the rhetoric of the music than any specific performance paradigm." Here are sound samples of each track. It sounds like HIP-aware performances on modern instruments.

Pat B

Quote from: Brian on December 11, 2013, 10:51:28 AM
Simon Crawford-Phillips is the same pianist who recorded previous volumes with the Kungsbacka Trio. Matthew Truscott has been concertmaster of the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, King's Consort, and English Concert. Richard Lester is in the Florestan Trio and London Haydn Quartet.

Lester also played in Hausmusik, along with some big names in the PI scene.

There's a video of one movement on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pUYrr2gRc8

I'm more inclined to a fortepiano for Haydn (and the "paradigm" quip, presumably written by the Naxos marketing department, does nothing to win me over) but this sounds pretty good.

Roberto

Finally I bought Hogwood Symphonies box. (I hope it will arrive before Christmas...)
Actually it doesn't contain all London symphonies but I was impressed by it and I think it will be the base of my Haydn symphony collection.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: GuybrushThreepwood on December 10, 2013, 11:59:16 AM
I was both moved and convinced by that statement: added to the wish list.

Thank you for reminding me of those disks; I am on my third listening of the pair in recent days, being ill at home provides me a perfect excuse for being Haydnish!   :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

kishnevi

Well in that case (and in the spirit of St. Augustine)...get well soon, but not too soon!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Roberto on December 12, 2013, 10:50:12 PM
Finally I bought Hogwood Symphonies box. (I hope it will arrive before Christmas...)
Actually it doesn't contain all London symphonies but I was impressed by it and I think it will be the base of my Haydn symphony collection.

Excellent choice, Roberto!

No, nor does it contain any of the Paris symphonies either. It just has the four 'London's' that they released even before they began the box sets project. They are excellent though, and if not still being produced, they are at least readily available, and they should be!  :)

I Hope you get it before Christmas too. That'd be great!

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 13, 2013, 04:51:04 PM
Well in that case (and in the spirit of St. Augustine)...get well soon, but not too soon!

Thank you, sir. Actually somewhat better already, having spent the morning with my lovely lady doctor. The three hypos she gave me worked wonders!   :)

8)

Pat B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 13, 2013, 04:38:57 PM
being ill at home provides me a perfect excuse for being Haydnish!   :)

I suspect being recovered will also be a good excuse for listening to Haydn.

Karl Henning

No excuse needed. Head for da Haus!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Pat B on December 13, 2013, 09:42:08 PM
I suspect being recovered will also be a good excuse for listening to Haydn.

:)

Yes, I have an entire list, actually, and both illness and recovery have a prominent place. A composer for all seasons....  0:)

8)
Quote from: karlhenning on December 14, 2013, 04:40:43 AM
No excuse needed. Head for da Haus!

And there's that. :)

8)

Brahmsian

This week, another three discs of 'first listens' from the wonderful Dennis Russell Davies and Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra set!  :)

Disc 6

Symphony No. 8 in G major 'Le Soir' Those magnificent strings!!  Beautiful solo violin and solo cello passages in the II. Andante; and great solo violone (double bass) passages in the III. Menuetto & Trio.  Definitely an immediate top 5/10 of the symphonies I've listened to thus far.  :)

Symphony No. 36 in E flat major

Symphony No. 33 in C major

Symphony No. 9 in C major

No stand out impressions to make regarding S# 36, 33 and 9.  Was a bit distracted, so these obviously didn't get my full, deserving attention.  Will need some re-listens to have a better idea.

Disc 10

Symphony No. 24 in D major - Superb Adagio II. mvt, with those lovely solo flute passages.  And a terrific, rousing finale!

Symphony No. 30 in C major 'Alleluja' OK....honestly didn't think much of this one, perhaps my least enjoyed Haydn symphony to date (and I did pay attention)  :D  Nothing stands out, but hopefully (and undoubtedly) more of a favourable impression to be made with multiple listens.

Symphony No. 31 in D major 'Mit Dem Hornsignal' Top 5, no doubt about it!!  Fantastic horns in that opening movement....and throughout.  What a gorgeous and delicate solo violin serenade to open the Adagio II. mvt, and then the entrance of the horns.  Gorgeous Adagio movement, a favourite!  However, it is perhaps the final mvt. that is my absolute favourite of this symphony.  Fantastic variations movement, especially the variation that includes the violone (double bass), and then the presto coda variation to cap it all off.  It is a *pounds the table* symphony, by any composer.  :)

Disc 30

Symphony No. 88 in G major  Terrific opening movement!  Very exquisite, beautiful Largo II. mvt, with those stormy fortissimo passages.

Symphony No. 89 in F major Another fantastic opening movement w/ varied moods.  A lot of punch and drive in this one, starkly contrasted by the several lovely solo woodwind passages.

Symphony No. 90 in C major  This one has a lovely, yet lively III. Menuet & Trio, capped off with a great final movement that is vivacious, and a thrilling roller coaster ride!  :)

Only 15 more discs to go (5 for Jan/2014, 5 for Feb/2014 and then 5 for Mar/2014).  Looking forward to what is up ahead, and also looking forward to revisiting some of my favourites (and surely more to come in these final 15 discs).  :)

TheGSMoeller

I enjoy reading your listening notes, Ray. Thank you for sharing them.  :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 14, 2013, 01:41:52 PM

Thank you, Greg.  :)  Yes, my listening notes certainly put any musicologist to shame!!  jejeje!!  :laugh: ;)

Gurn Blanston

Ray, I don't know that there is a disappointing choice available when you do what you do, so it is hard to come up with new ways to say 'great choices!'.  :D

I see that #8 had the same effect on you as it has had on everyone else who has heard it. It's a peach, for sure. #24, 31, and all of Disk 30, but especially #88, one of my top 5, are a great time to have for the listener. Like Greg, I greatly enjoy reading your reactions to these as you discover them. :)

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 14, 2013, 01:41:52 PM

+1

And I am lagging behind in listening to both DRD & Hogwood....
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: ChamberNut on December 14, 2013, 01:32:06 PM
Symphony No. 30 in C major 'Alleluja' OK....honestly didn't think much of this one, perhaps my least enjoyed Haydn symphony to date (and I did pay attention)  :D  Nothing stands out, but hopefully (and undoubtedly) more of a favourable impression to be made with multiple listens.

Ah, the "do-re-mi" symphony 8)  One of my favorites. Do give it another chance, Nut. In the first movement the Gregorian chant melody combined with the celebratory use of trumpets and drums is, I think, thrilling; the concertante flute passages in the slow movement beautiful; the strange, mysterious, unprepared for outburst at the end of the Trio shocking (where did that come from?  :o ). Harnoncourt is my favorite version. The tempos are perfect in each movement and, unlike Hogwood, he includes the trumpets and timps. Fischer is lightweight; very disappointing.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on December 15, 2013, 05:29:10 AM
Ah, the "do-re-mi" symphony 8)  One of my favorites. Do give it another chance, Nut. In the first movement the Gregorian chant melody combined with the celebratory use of trumpets and drums is, I think, thrilling; the concertante flute passages in the slow movement beautiful; the strange, mysterious, unprepared for outburst at the end of the Trio shocking (where did that come from?  :o ). Harnoncourt is my favorite version. The tempos are perfect in each movement and, unlike Hogwood, he includes the trumpets and timps. Fischer is too lightweight; very disappointing.

Sarge

Roger that, Sarge. The Harnoncourt is my favorite too.

I think that's one of the huge attractions for me in Haydn's works; you never know what's going to happen next. Where did that come from being the question of the day. :)

8)