Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justin

Good evening Gurn,

Do you have any thoughts on the flute concerto listed on that Cantarina disc? Is that just an incorrect attribution of some sort?

Thanks!

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 23, 2014, 06:43:39 PM

While I know that certain genres are less popular than others, no matter the composer, I just now published a brief essay on a mass and an opera. I felt no sense of obligation towards having to 'touch all the bases', these are both works I quite enjoy, and I hope you will too. Please have a look, if you are so inclined. :)

Missa Cellensis & La Cantarina

Thanks!
8)
Justin

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Justin on January 25, 2014, 06:07:02 PM
Good evening Gurn,

Do you have any thoughts on the flute concerto listed on that Cantarina disc? Is that just an incorrect attribution of some sort?

Thanks!

Hi, Justin,

Oh, without a doubt it is the same work that we know to have been composed by Hoffman and attributed to Haydn forever. It's funny/sad/irritating to me that music publishers today have no more moral fiber than they did 250 years ago, since they know very well it isn't by Haydn, but this is at least the third recording I have which says it is (on the cover) strictly for sales purposes.  *sigh*.   :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

There aren't just a whole lot of Haydn's operas produced on DVD (or anyhow else, for that matter), and so when I saw this Harnoncourt production with Concentus Musicus Wien from the Theater an der Wien, it went on the wish list. Finally picked it up today, I will be back with some idea of it soon.  :)

[asin] B00408MS9O[/asin]

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on January 26, 2014, 12:38:10 PM
Cool!

I'm hoping the modern setting doesn't put me off. I am rather ambivalent about that usually, although I saw Gardiner doing a Magic Flute that was modern as could be in appearance. You can never tell. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

I know that some of you are as avid as I am when it comes to reading about our varied interests. When I was trying to assemble a library on Haydn, it was quite difficult to find a description of books I was curious about. Sometimes Amazon helped, often they didn't. So I have been slowly piecing together a couple of pages on some books, and I just finished one today, if you are interested.

Library 2 - Anthologies

Thanks for your continued interest.  :)

8)

Karl Henning

I am still in high-energy concert preparation (and Maria-Bablyak-artwork-exhibition support) mode, but I had to say what a delight The Creation is!  It is improving the quality of my work day this frosty morning in Boston.  Proud, too, of our local boys (listening to Marty Pearlman and the Boston Baroque).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on January 29, 2014, 07:24:05 AM
I have been listening the past couple of weeks to the Mosaiques string quartet box, in reverse order just because that's how I left them in the box after ripping them.  Today I have made it up to the disc with the Seven Last Words.  What an amazing piece and performance.  The string quartet version is far and away my favorite iteration of this work, but in any form, it is a winner.

:)

Yep, that IS a fine box. Hard to beat it, pity it isn't more complete. :(   

As for the 7LW, I also like the SQ version, but IMO it just can't stand up to the original orchestral version which is heart-rending in places. The emotional depth can't be matched by the SQ or keyboard versions, which is not to say they don't have their own merits. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on January 29, 2014, 07:40:21 AM
When you say "original orchestral version" are you insisting on the narrated sections?  Those are a deal-breaker for me. But I know there is an easy work-around.  I should give the orchestral version a listen after I finish with the SQ.

I ripped that disk as soon as I got it (Savall, that is) and since those tracks were separate, I simply skipped them over. Not that they are inappropriate, but for general listening I don't need them. :)

8)

Karl Henning

Viz. this . . . forgive me, O Gurn, if you've covered this ere now and I was inattentive.  But why is the Op.51 for SQ H.III/50-56, when it is nine numbers?  Did Hoboken just consider the introduction as belong to the first Sonata, and the earthquake as a coda to the seventh? What was he thinking? . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on February 01, 2014, 10:39:05 AM
Viz. this . . . forgive me, O Gurn, if you've covered this ere now and I was inattentive.  But why is the Op.51 for SQ H.III/50-56, when it is nine numbers?  Did Hoboken just consider the introduction as belong to the first Sonata, and the earthquake as a coda to the seventh? What was he thinking? . . .

Good question, Karl! Although I'm not sure anyone can figure what Hoboken was thinking much of the time. I am quite sure your latter surmise is the correct one (since it is the same as mine), only the seven sonatas were numbered. Everything else is considered adjunct. Here's one for you: Hoboken created a special category just for versions of the Seven Last Words (Hob XX), and yet he placed the SQ version in Hob III. What was he thinking? :D

8)

Gurn Blanston

I am particularly pleased with this latest installment, as it allowed me an opportunity to confront Saint-Foix on Stürm und Dräng. I hope I didn't lose... :)

Symphonies of 1767

Check it out if you would do.

Thanks,
Gurn 8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 01, 2014, 11:19:09 AM
I am particularly pleased with this latest installment, as it allowed me an opportunity to confront Saint-Foix on Stürm und Dräng. I hope I didn't lose... :)

Symphonies of 1767

Check it out if you would do.

Thanks,
Gurn 8)

Excellent read! Thanks, Gurn.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on February 01, 2014, 06:43:46 PM
Excellent read! Thanks, Gurn.  :)

Delighted you enjoyed it, Greg. I learned a lot writing it, everything else is a bonus.   :)

8)

snyprrr

New '7 Words' by the Xenakis Quartet! And yes, I wouldn't know that otherwise, haha!! I iiiiiiiiiimagine it won't have A.N.Y. vibrato, hahaha!! See?, Xenakis was good for the HIP!

Daverz

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 01, 2014, 11:19:09 AM

Symphonies of 1767

I've been listening to 38, 58, and 35 the past few days.  Mostly Fischer for 35, which is particularly delightful.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Daverz on February 04, 2014, 09:20:10 AM
I've been listening to 38, 58, and 35 the past few days.  Mostly Fischer for 35, which is particularly delightful.

Cool! I listened to it this AM on the way to work, in fact. I like Fischer in the earlier works especially. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: snyprrr on February 04, 2014, 09:16:11 AM
New '7 Words' by the Xenakis Quartet! And yes, I wouldn't know that otherwise, haha!! I iiiiiiiiiimagine it won't have A.N.Y. vibrato, hahaha!! See?, Xenakis was good for the HIP!

That must be quite a performance! I haven't ever heard them play; gut strings?

Haydn: Sikh

8)

calyptorhynchus

On the theme of "what was Hoboken thinking", I've heard that he knew that the traditional numbering of the symphonies was wrong (especially the early ones), but chose not to change the numbers, because he thought it would cause too much confusion.

Anyway, I collected the Naxos symphonies disks when they came out and I liked them, but I've just ordered the Briliant Classics complete symphonies* (originally Nimbus). I'd like to listen to them in the correct order but the list of real numbers I have is quite approximate as I compiled it myself from Robbins Landon, and I want check against another list. Can someone point me in the direction of one.

Thanks

* I don't think this includes Symphonies A & B :-(
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Brian

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on February 06, 2014, 01:38:17 PMI'd like to listen to them in the correct order but the list of real numbers I have is quite approximate as I compiled it myself from Robbins Landon, and I want check against another list. Can someone point me in the direction of one.
see attachment