Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 25, 2014, 05:45:12 PM
Thanks, Greg. I feel like David, taking on the Goliath that is Stürm und Dräng!  But #49 is one of my favorite symphonies, and I feel it can have different affekts depending on the listener's state of mind. I ike having my thought process turned around from time to time!   :)

8)

You're right about the affekts, not every listen to No.49 results in the same conclusions for me. And I'm convinced that the only title that really works for Haydn symphonies is Hornsignal, because well there's a lot 'em  ;D

calyptorhynchus

Oh Dear!

I'm not enjoying listening to the complete Haydn symphonies in (true) chronological order in the performances by the Austro-Hungarian Chmaber orchestra on Nimbus (=Brillant) as much as I thought I would.  :(

I enjoyed listening more to the various groups that performed the symphonies in the Naxos complete series, they seemed to have more zing about their performances.

I'm up to the mid twenties now, so I suppose I have to hope that this series will improve.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on February 27, 2014, 02:50:04 PM
Oh Dear!

I'm not enjoying listening to the complete Haydn symphonies in (true) chronological order in the performances by the Austro-Hungarian Chmaber orchestra on Nimbus (=Brillant) as much as I thought I would.  :(

I enjoyed listening more to the various groups that performed the symphonies in the Naxos complete series, they seemed to have more zing about their performances.

I'm up to the mid twenties now, so I suppose I have to hope that this series will improve.

Well, there is no way to predict what someone else will enjoy/not enjoy, sad to say. I thought the Naxos disks had a lot of merit too, FWIW. It is hard to know what someone's commitment is to a certain style or instrument type either. For the early symphonies I prefer Goodman on period instruments, but Sarge strongly dislikes them. You might go either way, or just be, like 'meh!'.  Certainly I would move ahead. You may find that works from a particular point in time are far more appealing. :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Ken B

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on February 27, 2014, 02:50:04 PM
Oh Dear!

The cure for all your Haydn woes

[asin]B009LNI0T0[/asin]

The incomplete, because smaller dose, cure

[asin]B001U0HB60[/asin]

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on February 27, 2014, 04:18:33 PM
The cure for all your Haydn woes

[asin]B009LNI0T0[/asin]

Sure, until he gets up to #76 - 93 and he's like 'what the hell happened to those disks? They're gone!:D  It's a great set though, highly recommended. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Ken B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 27, 2014, 04:24:36 PM
Sure, until he gets up to #76 - 93 and he's like 'what the hell happened to those disks? They're gone!:D  It's a great set though, highly recommended. :)

8)
Kuijken and Weil bridge part of it. I counted once and figured I was SOL for about 8 symphonies. That's what Vanhal is for.  :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on February 27, 2014, 04:28:11 PM
Kuijken and Weil bridge part of it. I counted once and figured I was SOL for about 8 symphonies. That's what Vanhal is for.  :)

Assuming you are talking about PI recordings, what ones are you lacking? The only 2 never recorded are 79 & 81.  :(

8)

Ken B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 27, 2014, 04:31:03 PM
Assuming you are talking about PI recordings, what ones are you lacking? The only 2 never recorded are 79 & 81.  :(

8)
Yes, from my cobbled together collections, the stuff on Virgin, these two boxes. I am missing some Londons HIP too now I think of it, but that,s just laziness on my part.
I have the Fischer, and liked it but never loved it. I love love love the Hogwood. I love the Weil and Kuijken. I liked the Pinnock a lot.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on February 27, 2014, 04:35:40 PM
Yes, from my cobbled together collections, the stuff on Virgin, these two boxes. I am missing some Londons HIP too now I think of it, but that's just laziness on my part.
I have the Fischer, and liked it but never loved it. I love love love the Hogwood. I love the Weil and Kuijken. I liked the Pinnock a lot.

The Kuijken London box is wonderful. Well worth the $50. I rec it ahead of Brüggen & Minkowski. Lazy? Well, I collected it one disk at a time, which I would have not done if this box had been just $50 back then! :D

[asin] B000EBDCUA[/asin]

Assuming the 'stuff on Virgin' is this:

[asin] B00000J2PW[/asin]

Yes, well worth the purchase.

If you want #80, this is the only (and fortunately very fine) version in town:

[asin]B002AHJTE4[/asin]

What 'Paris Symphonies' do you have? 

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on February 27, 2014, 04:35:40 PM
Yes, from my cobbled together collections, the stuff on Virgin, these two boxes. I am missing some Londons HIP too now I think of it, but that,s just laziness on my part.

Ah, I overlooked that. You have the Weil Paris set. Bueno. The others I usually recommend are these Harnoncourt's:

[asin]B0007OP69E[/asin]

8)

Ken B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 27, 2014, 04:44:48 PM
The Kuijken London box is wonderful. Well worth the $50. I rec it ahead of Brüggen & Minkowski. Lazy? Well, I collected it one disk at a time, which I would have not done if this box had been just $50 back then! :D

[asin] B000EBDCUA[/asin]

Assuming the 'stuff on Virgin' is this:

[asin] B00000J2PW[/asin]

Yes, well worth the purchase.

If you want #80, this is the only (and fortunately very fine) version in town:

[asin]B002AHJTE4[/asin]

What 'Paris Symphonies' do you have? 

8)
The Virgin is that and two more duos. One of them is the Paris. Weil also has Paris.
I also have HvK and Fischer.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on February 27, 2014, 04:50:01 PM
The Virgin is that and two more duos. One of them is the Paris. Weil also has Paris.
I also have HvK and Fischer.

Yes, although I almost never rec the Kuijken Paris set. Different orchestra, lacks something indefinable but necessary. Money better spent going towards the Harnoncourt. As good as the Weil but different. They are my favorites, no doubt. :)

The other duo is this one;

[asin] B00004TQQS[/asin]

It has a very fine #26 in it, and a good sinfonia concertante too. Can't beat it at the price, Virgin is great that way!

8)

Ken B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 27, 2014, 04:56:32 PM
Yes, although I almost never rec the Kuijken Paris set. Different orchestra, lacks something indefinable but necessary. Money better spent going towards the Harnoncourt. As good as the Weil but different. They are my favorites, no doubt. :)

The other duo is this one;

[asin] B00004TQQS[/asin]

It has a very fine #26 in it, and a good sinfonia concertante too. Can't beat it at the price, Virgin is great that way!

8)
Yes and Norrington 99 to 104 as well.
What think you of that?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on February 27, 2014, 04:59:19 PM
Yes and Norrington 99 to 104 as well.
What think you of that?

I like them, better than the same band playing Beethoven. Their #100 is in my selected playlist. There again, now that they've bundled them into one box, you can't go wrong. Even buying them as 3 separate disks they were a bargain!  Don't get me wrong, I have met some Haydn recordings I didn't like, I just don't talk about them and hope the subject doesn't come up because I'm a positive sort of guy.  :D

8)

Ken B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 27, 2014, 05:03:07 PM
I like them, better than the same band playing Beethoven. Their #100 is in my selected playlist. There again, now that they've bundled them into one box, you can't go wrong. Even buying them as 3 separate disks they were a bargain!  Don't get me wrong, I have met some Haydn recordings I didn't like, I just don't talk about them and hope the subject doesn't come up because I'm a positive sort of guy.  :D

8)
I like them too, but they send the Hurwitzer over the edge.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on February 27, 2014, 05:14:35 PM
I like them too, but they send the Hurwitzer over the edge.

All the more reason to love them! He has no business reviewing period instrument recordings; he hates them on the face of it. He should stay with Rachmaninov...  :D

8)

Ken B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 27, 2014, 05:16:34 PM
All the more reason to love them! He has no business reviewing period instrument recordings; he hates them on the face of it. He should stay with Rachmaninov...  :D

8)
Yup. Its like the gramophone penguin books reviewing Bach way back when. If they hated it I wanted it. If they called it pedantic I really wanted it.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on February 27, 2014, 05:19:06 PM
Yup. Its like the gramophone penguin books reviewing Bach way back when. If they hated it I wanted it. If they called it pedantic I really wanted it.

:D  I was fortunate enough to come to classical music (from jazz & classic rock) right at the time period instrument recordings were becoming available and so that is what I learned sound from. For Classical Era music (about all I listen to) it is the only thing that sounds right. Which is why Hurwitz pisses me off. So yeah, if he hates it, I gotta have it!    >:D

8)

Ken B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 27, 2014, 05:23:26 PM
:D  I was fortunate enough to come to classical music (from jazz & classic rock) right at the time period instrument recordings were becoming available and so that is what I learned sound from. For Classical Era music (about all I listen to) it is the only thing that sounds right. Which is why Hurwitz pisses me off. So yeah, if he hates it, I gotta have it!    >:D

8)
I was in radio late 70s. I did a program each week "Bach as Written". The station library had little of that, so I used my own mostly.
I'm unsure about recommending HIP Mozart concertos to newcomers. I grew up on Anda etc. On the other hand I warn people off early music from before Pro Cantione Antiqua, the first great renaissance vocal group. I recommend in fact avoiding any choir at all in that except professional em groups. So I'm not consistent.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on February 27, 2014, 05:37:14 PM
I was in radio late 70s. I did a program each week "Bach as Written". The station library had little of that, so I used my own mostly.
I'm unsure about recommending HIP Mozart concertos to newcomers. I grew up on Anda etc. On the other hand I warn people off early music from before Pro Cantione Antiqua, the first great renaissance vocal group. I recommend in fact avoiding any choir at all in that except professional em groups. So I'm not consistent.

Sounds very interesting, even for a non-Bachian. I am not a recommender, by nature. My regular group will be surprised that I went out on that limb with you, but I have read enough of your posts to know what you like. I have no hesitation suggesting Gardiner/Bilson for Mozart, I don't like the sound of a modern piano there so it is easy for me to ignore that group. I don't think imprinting with modern instruments will help much later on if one wants to try PI, since then you have to 'unlearn' the sound. This is the main complaint I see among all the anti-PI's, so it is best to sidestep it altogether. :)   

The other big interest I have beyond Haydn & Mozart is 18th century Austrian sacred music. Say, 1730 to the death of Haydn. Lots of choral there, but a different style than early music has. If you have any interest in that topic, you might try this thread:

18th Century Austrian Masses

I have been working too much on my Haydn blog to be able to maintain this thread except from time to time. However, always delighted to chat with anyone interested in the topic. :)

8)