Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 28, 2014, 06:54:59 AM
Not true...although I understand how that misconception came about. I am very critical of, not only Goodman's use of the harpsichord, but also the way he uses it in many of his recordings. Nonetheless I have a sizeable collecton of Goodman's Haydn (45 symphonies plus the horn concerto) because I love the sound of the Hanover Band (except for his sometimes annoyingly loud keyboard continuo) and generally approve of Goodman's interpretations.

Sarge

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you Sarge, I've been killer busy these days. :-\

Yes, well you can understand my confusion, clearly. I've been thinking about your reply here though, and it just seems to me like you want it both ways. If a certain feature of a band's performance has actually achieved some notoriety (which the heavy use of harpsichord continuo in these recordings certainly has!), it is hard for someone to say he really likes the performances except for that feature which he deplores but he listens to them anyway. It fails the logical good sense test. :)  I think you secretly love Pinnock's continuo and only wish it were more clearly delineated.   :P

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 28, 2014, 05:48:31 AM
You think the CMW, Tafelmusik, the English Concert and the Freiburger Barock sound like modern instruments?  :o

Except we don't actually know what they sounded like. But I'll bite: if the orchestras Hurwitz praises don't sound like period bands, which do?

Sarge

No, not really, but it did get your attention. I think my primary PI-sounding band is the Academy of Ancient Music. I do think that many PI bands could be confused with some modern bands though, like the Orchestre Revolutionnaire of Gardiner (not the Baroque Soloists though!). And I do see even non-PI fans saying 'well, the ORR is good though' because they don't challenge the preconception of proper sound as much as an AAM or an La Stagione does. It is a much stronger effect in solo pianoforte though, where people tend to really like Brautigam's sound, and to me, his instrument has a very modern sound compared to, say, anything I've heard Schornsheim play. I'm not criticizing the players for this effect, I'm merely pointing out the fact it exists. It would be the rare newcomer who I would refer to John Khouri for introduction!! :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

So once again I have been dabbling in history, this time in the lovely little gob of church music which Haydn produced in 1768. Two masses in the most divergent styles available, and a nice little choral piece to match. If you have a mind to, you can check it out here;

"Sunt bona mixta malis, sunt mala mixta bonis"

Thanks for your interest, :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

For my own benefit, and which I share gladly with you, I have been researching the genre of cantatas called Applausus musici, the best known of which is, of course, by Haydn. If you would like to see what I found, have a look here.

Applausus musici

Feel free to discuss, and thanks for reading. :)

8)

Karl Henning

Thanks for keepin' 'er rolling, Gurn. I'll get reading soon!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 02, 2014, 04:28:00 PM
For my own benefit, and which I share gladly with you, I have been researching the genre of cantatas called Applausus musici, the best known of which is, of course, by Haydn. If you would like to see what I found, have a look here.

Applausus musici

Feel free to discuss, and thanks for reading. :)

8)

Now Haydn Seek has taught me smothering new! I applaud this applausus blog.  ;D
Thanks, Gurn.

Quote from: karlhenning on March 02, 2014, 04:49:22 PM
Thanks for keepin' 'er rolling, Gurn.

+1
And for making this GMG's most resourceful composer thread!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 05, 2014, 09:26:50 AM
Now Haydn Seek has taught me smothering new! I applaud this applausus blog.  ;D
Thanks, Gurn.
+1
And for making this GMG's most resourceful composer thread!
Quote from: karlhenning on March 02, 2014, 04:49:22 PM
Thanks for keepin' 'er rolling, Gurn. I'll get reading soon!

Thank YOU guys for keeping me going. I am approaching 3000 views now on this blog, which is more than I thought I would see in the lifetime of the thing! It's nice to be able to provide information which I know first-hand is hard to find. :)

Cheers,
8)

Gurn Blanston

And so 1768 was a big year. Lots of events, lots of music. We wrap up the year now with a look at the new opera house. One of the last pieces is now in place to make the move to the sticks worthwhile. :)  Have a look if you wish.

The new opera house opens!

Thanks for your interest,
8)

Karl Henning

"Come for the fireweed, stay for the opera...."
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on March 06, 2014, 02:21:03 AM
"Come for the fireweed, stay for the opera...."

I have a feeling I should recognize that quote... isn't it posted outside of Sarge's apartment?  :D

8)

DavidW

I started the day the right way with some of Haydn's Op 50 string quartets. 8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: DavidW on March 06, 2014, 08:23:27 AM
I started the day the right way with some of Haydn's Op 50 string quartets. 8)

I would say so.  :)
Which performances? The Op. 50 is an opus I only have one recording of.

DavidW

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 06, 2014, 08:57:21 AM
I would say so.  :)
Which performances? The Op. 50 is an opus I only have one recording of.

Angeles Quartet.  I like them in everything, it is a great big box to have imo.

Ken B

Quote from: DavidW on March 06, 2014, 09:42:51 AM
Angeles Quartet.  I like them in everything, it is a great big box to have imo.
Indeed. Even if it is Hurwitz's top pick.  >:D
I recently got the Mosaigues box, which I like even more so far, but is nowhere near complete.
The one I could not stand was the Aeolian. Brrrrrr.

Sergeant Rock

Jens, your links go to the Shostakovich article, not Haydn.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Thanks, Jens. I bet that was interesting, too. :-\ .  Guess I'll have to get Google T to work on it. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 08, 2014, 05:01:55 AM
Jens, your links go to the Shostakovich article, not Haydn.

Sarge

Even so, it was interesting. :)

8)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 08, 2014, 05:02:35 AM
Thanks, Jens. I bet that was interesting, too. :-\ .  Guess I'll have to get Google T to work on it. :)

8)

I don't know what this post means. :(

Herreweghe is kind of right that Romantic era music is what sells, but I hear plenty of classical era, baroque and modern performed.  Part of me wants to put a feather in my cap since he identifies Haydn fans as true music fans.  Another part wants to chortle at the one true Scotsman fallacy at play.

DRD's quoted remark is hilarious since he boldly went where Dorati and Fischer already went. :laugh:  And there is no complete PI cycle... keep tilting at windmills Dennis. 0:)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on March 08, 2014, 06:31:40 AM
I don't know what this post means. :(

I don't read German actually, so I have to Google T(ranslate) it. Later, when I did get it translated, it turned out to be an article on DSCH, as Sarge noted.  No mystery there!

I like the hell out of Herreweghe, I would like to read the one that Jens mis-linked. I bet it was interesting. :)

8)

It isn't as much fun when you have to explain it  ::)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 08, 2014, 07:27:38 AM
I like the hell out of Herreweghe, I would like to read the one that Jens mis-linked. I bet it was interesting. :)

Here it is

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"