Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 08, 2014, 07:50:10 AM
Here it is

Sarge

Excellent, thank you kindly, Sarge. Always high in my esteem, PH has risen even higher. Very insightful commentary. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

DavidW

Oh right.  When I went to the site I just clicked on classical music and it came right up.  I forgot that the link wasn't right.

Gurn Blanston

It took a while to work through the great collection of music from 1768. Lots there to listen to, no doubt. But now, as we move on to 1769 we have something new and exciting to look forward to; the string quartet returns! I am presenting, in my usual manner, a taste of life in 1769. If you are interested, please check it out.

The year the string quartet returned!

Thanks for your interest.
8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Ken B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 08, 2014, 08:00:41 AM
Excellent, thank you kindly, Sarge. Always high in my esteem, PH has risen even higher. Very insightful commentary. :)

8)
Dennis Russell Davies too!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 08, 2014, 05:38:52 PM
It took a while to work through the great collection of music from 1768. Lots there to listen to, no doubt. But now, as we move on to 1769 we have something new and exciting to look forward to; the string quartet returns! I am presenting, in my usual manner, a taste of life in 1769. If you are interested, please check it out.

The year the string quartet returned!

Thanks for your interest.
8)

I enjoyed this read. Thanks, Gurn.

Are the Baryton Trios the only pieces that Haydn used this instrument?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 08, 2014, 06:19:02 PM
I enjoyed this read. Thanks, Gurn.

Are the Baryton Trios the only pieces that Haydn used this instrument?

Thanks, Greg. :)

Oh no, he wrote various duos for 2 barytons and for baryton & cello. Also, last year he wrote a really nice quintet for baryton, viola, cello & 2 horns. Then when we get to 1775, we will get to enjoy seven great octet/divertimentos for baryton and chamber group, his piece de resistance and adieu to the baryton (save for a few stray trios). Also, there were apparently quite a group of concertos for baryton, but alas, they are all lost! In total, there were probably ~175 works, so about 50 in addition to the trios. :)

8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 08, 2014, 06:25:19 PM
Thanks, Greg. :)

Oh no, he wrote various duos for 2 barytons and for baryton & cello. Also, last year he wrote a really nice quintet for baryton, viola, cello & 2 horns. Then when we get to 1775, we will get to enjoy seven great octet/divertimentos for baryton and chamber group, his piece de resistance and adieu to the baryton (save for a few stray trios). Also, there were apparently quite a group of concertos for baryton, but alas, they are all lost! In total, there were probably ~175 works, so about 50 in addition to the trios. :)

8)

Ah, I forgot about the divertimenos. Any recs for recordings?

For Baryton, I only have THIS ONE from Dorian, that I really enjoy.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 08, 2014, 06:38:56 PM
Ah, I forgot about the divertimenos. Any recs for recordings?

For Baryton, I only have THIS ONE from Dorian, that I really enjoy.

I think I have every baryton trios recording (AFAIK). This is my favorite:

[asin] B004V4GXZW[/asin]

The barytonist is a real virtuoso, plus I like the choice of works they made.

For the octets, also on Ricercar. This is the current iteration of the 2 disk set with all of them plus the quintet:

[asin]B0000632DN[/asin]

I like the Haydn Sinfonietta Wien's version on the 'Music for the Prince and the King of Naples' box set on BIS, and also the Esterházy Ensemble / Piccolo Concerto Wien versions on Brilliant, but the Ricercar set (the two single disks, really) remain my favorites. Imprinting, I suppose.   :D

8)

Actually, that Dorian disk is a peach. Just sayin'.... :)

Bogey

Just took in this piece of vinyl:

The 88 did not quite "get there" for me, but Jochum redeemed himself with the 98.  Nice "pop" when expected.  The vinyl lends a warmth to Haydn that I am guessing many may not care for.  I am sure that going case by case would be a better attitude, but I believe I may start grabbing more of Papa on this format, as I like this sound.  The chamber stuff should be fascinating.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 08, 2014, 07:17:04 PM

[asin] B004V4GXZW[/asin]

The barytonist is a real virtuoso, plus I like the choice of works they made.

For the octets, also on Ricercar. This is the current iteration of the 2 disk set with all of them plus the quintet:

[asin]B0000632DN[/asin]

I like the Haydn Sinfonietta Wien's version on the 'Music for the Prince and the King of Naples' box set on BIS, and also the Esterházy Ensemble / Piccolo Concerto Wien versions on Brilliant, but the Ricercar set (the two single disks, really) remain my favorites. Imprinting, I suppose.   :D

8)

Actually, that Dorian disk is a peach. Just sayin'.... :)

Thank you, Gurn! It's much appreciated.  :)

Daverz

Quote from: Bogey on March 09, 2014, 12:49:46 PM

The 88 did not quite "get there" for me, but Jochum redeemed himself with the 98.  Nice "pop" when expected.  The vinyl lends a warmth to Haydn that I am guessing many may not care for.  I am sure that going case by case would be a better attitude, but I believe I may start grabbing more of Papa on this format, as I like this sound.  The chamber stuff should be fascinating.

I like big band Haydn, but have neglected this Jochum set, which I have (partially) on Lp and CD rips.  I'll have to rectify that.  He also did some marvelous recordings of selected Londons with the Dresden Staatskapelle.

[asin]B000025U45[/asin]

(Link for information only.  Not recommending you run out and buy it at those Marketplace prices.)

Daverz

[asin] B004V4GXZW[/asin]

I don't have any baryton trios, so I had to buy this (from the Classical Superstore).

Bogey

Quote from: Daverz on March 09, 2014, 03:45:38 PM
I don't have any baryton trios, so I had to buy this (from the Classical Superstore).

Some of the best pieces in his run.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Daverz on March 09, 2014, 03:45:38 PM

I think you'll be pleased, Dave. I should say; if you don't like this disk, you probably won't like any of them! :)

Quote from: Bogey on March 09, 2014, 03:51:17 PM
Some of the best pieces in his run.

Yes, and the less commonly recorded ones too. Nice to not have yet another version of the Birthday Trio!  :D

8)

Bogey

Quote from: Bogey on March 09, 2014, 12:49:46 PM

Letting this lp have a crack at the above 98....smackdown is commencing as Klemperer seems to grab more from his orchestra and the range of sound is much more engaging.  I enjoyed the Jochum, but I like what I am hearing here more so.   

Bogey

The Klemperer Timings

Symphony No. 98
I. Adagio - Allegro 6:27   
II. Adagio 7:49   
III. Menuet (Allegro) and Trio   5:59   
IV. Finale (Presto) 6:45   

and now, on cd, my third 98 of the evening:

6:55
5:21
5:40
8:36

Similar to the Klemperer, but you can pick up what seems to be a keyboard component.  Any help with this appreciated as the notes do not indicate this.  Also, Solti's seems to move fastr, but the timings indicate otherwise.  He kind of has that effect sometimes. ;)

Que

[asin]B0000632DN[/asin]

That Ricercar set of the octets was my 1st encounter with this repertoire, such a great set! :)

Q

DavidW

Quote from: Bogey on March 09, 2014, 06:28:40 PM
Similar to the Klemperer, but you can pick up what seems to be a keyboard component.  Any help with this appreciated as the notes do not indicate this.  Also, Solti's seems to move fastr, but the timings indicate otherwise.  He kind of has that effect sometimes. ;)

I don't have the recording to confirm or deny but it wouldn't surprise me.  Most conductors feel that Haydn's symphonies have the need for a harpsichord continuo.  Hogwood refuted the accepted tradition by saying it was not needed.  While his argument is sound, the evidence either way is simply not there leaving it to be a mystery on whether continuo should be there nor not.

Bogey

Surprises me that Solti opted for and Hoggy passed.

Karl Henning

A couple of the DRD CDs have been regularly in the tray of our Corolla.  I like 'em a lot.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot