Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on March 10, 2014, 09:34:24 AM
Surprises me that Solti opted for and Hoggy passed.

Well, Hogwood really thought he was being accurate, since James Webster, a real guru, told him so. The only problem there is that just like with symphony #48 which Webster told him to not use the trumpets and timpani because the parts were dodgy, that doesn't mean they didn't use T & T, it only means the parts didn't survive. It doesn't sound quite the same without.

As far as a harpsichord continuo goes, Webster's argument that there are no parts for figured bass also don't hold true. Especially if Haydn was the one playing the harpsichord; why would he need a written out part for his own composition?  And he would have been the harpsichordist, because Tomasini was the first violin and concertmaster, so Haydn wouldn't have been playing violin, he would have been leading from the keyboard. As for when this practice stopped, well, who can say? I would guess your symphony #88 from 1786 probably didn't use one, but the London symphonies used a fortepiano because that's what they did in London, the continuo didn't really stop being used until after the turn of the century. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Ken B

Quote from: Bogey on March 10, 2014, 09:34:24 AM
Surprises me that Solti opted for and Hoggy passed.
Hogwood based his performing editions on scholarly research not available way back when.
And his ears. I'm with Sarge on this.

Gurn Blanston

A couple of nice symphonies in 1769, and an overture that was thought to be a symphony until rather recently, too. I've put together a few thoughts on them, if you are interested.

Take that, red herring!  :)

Feel free to discuss, I love to learn new things. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Que on March 09, 2014, 09:51:51 PM
That Ricercar set of the octets was my 1st encounter with this repertoire, such a great set! :)

Q

Me too. I found the first disk (actually the second one) and was amazed. It took a year to find disk 1. Perhaps 6 months after that, they released the first iteration of the 2 disk set. I had mixed emotions, but being pleased that everyone can now get it won out in the end. :)

8)

[asin]B0000632DN[/asin]

Bogey

If Haydn only had done works for winds, we would have still won!

Be honest.  When you think winds from JH, do you think Miami? ;D

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on March 10, 2014, 07:23:18 PM
If Haydn only had done works for winds, we would have still won!

Be honest.  When you think winds from JH, do you think Miami? ;D

:)

No, but Prague may be in there somewhere. I like that disk, even though the music is by someone else. It just goes to show that there was plenty of good music to listen to back then, even if it wasn't be someone whose name you know. :)

8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on March 10, 2014, 09:46:11 AM
A couple of the DRD CDs have been regularly in the tray of our Corolla.  I like 'em a lot.

Just had No. 63 play yesterday from that set, very nice indeed.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 11, 2014, 04:56:28 AM
Just had No. 63 play yesterday from that set, very nice indeed.

Does DRD use trumpets and timpani in #48? Just curious.... :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

North Star

Quote from: Ken B on March 11, 2014, 10:12:03 AM
Didn't know he was broken.
Nah, he just got his fix of Herreweghe's Haydn.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Ken B

Quote from: North Star on March 11, 2014, 10:14:07 AM
Nah, he just got his fix of Herreweghe's Haydn.
Ahhhh. Good. For a moment there I thought snippers were involved ...

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 11, 2014, 06:02:58 AM
Does DRD use trumpets and timpani in #48? Just curious.... :)

8)

I do hear them.  8)

Bogey

Well, did some vinyl treasure hunting tonight and came up with two beauties on the Hugaroton label.

This above box set has #'s 42-53 on it played on piano.  So far quite nice, as the vinyl is pristine. I cannot find any sign of these specific recordings having made it to cd.  If you know of them on disc, let me know.

This next set (#'s54-62) does have a disc release, though the disc, unlike the album set, is missing #'s 57, 58, and 61.

Pricey little goomers on Ebay.  I could grab a Volume 2 for $49, but that ain't going to happen.  If you come across a 1, 2, or 5 for dirt ( a few bucks), IM me and I might grab it from you if you do not mind.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

I've seen that CD many times on ebay, but managed to refrain, I suppose because of the modern instrument and the high price. I wasn't aware of the entire set though, I see you vinyl'er's have the advantage of us there, Bill. :)

8)

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 12, 2014, 05:01:20 PM
I've seen that CD many times on ebay, but managed to refrain, I suppose because of the modern instrument and the high price. I wasn't aware of the entire set though, I see you vinyl'er's have the advantage of us there, Bill. :)

8)

Unless there is another cd with it on there. With this label (which is a great one, imo), it is possible.  It is fun to find the non cd stuff just because you believe for a moment that you have made an incredible discovery of lost music.  (You might find me crawling around on the record shop floor humming the Indy theme when scouring the "caves" under the bins that others browse.)  Somewhat true, but the closer truth would be that most of the stuff worth bringing over to the cd format has been.  There are exceptions of course and we are trying to bring those to light on the vinyl thread.

Bogey

Then there are times when I cannot pass up a record even though it has made it onto cd....even more than once.  Case in point (but not my image):

I bought this last night for $4. DavidW and Sarge both pointed out their liking for this, so BOOM.  Threw it on top of the pile and went home happy.  'Bet even money that Sarge has this one in his vinyl vault.

Mandryka

Ranki didn't record all the Haydn sonatas as far as I know. It's far from complete.I'm extremely keen on his Haydn (and Kocsis's)

One Haydn LP which never made it to CD is Weissenberg's. Well worth hearing. As is Rosen's, which also never made it to CD, and is equally excellent. Lubov Timofeyeva is also not at all bad - only a small fraction of her Haydn ever left LP.

You may also like to check the trio recordings with Janigro, Badura Skoda and Fournier.

And there's there  early Juilliard op 54,  which I remember discussing with someone here before.

Also lots of Rosbaud. I would grab all the Haydn you can from him. Did Edwin Fischer's symphony 104 ever make it to CD?

I have digital transfers of all these things.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darĂ¼ber muss man schweigen

Bogey

Quote from: Mandryka on March 12, 2014, 10:46:29 PM
Ranki didn't record all the Haydn sonatas as far as I know. It's far from complete.I'm extremely keen on his Haydn (and Kocsis's)

One Haydn LP which never made it to CD is Weissenberg's. Well worth hearing. As is Rosen's, which also never made it to CD, and is equally excellent. Lubov Timofeyeva is also not at all bad - only a small fraction of her Haydn ever left LP.

You may also like to check the trio recordings with Janigro, Badura Skoda and Fournier.

And there's there  early Juilliard op 54,  which I remember discussing with someone here before.

Also lots of Rosbaud. I would grab all the Haydn you can from him. Did Edwin Fischer's symphony 104 ever make it to CD?

I have digital transfers of all these things.

Excellent list and very helpful.  Thanks!