Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakefield

This Musica Omnia release looks extremely interesting:

[asin]B00FJ4L790[/asin]

Anyway, at least the 1st disk (with Beghin) seems a re-releas of an excellent old recording on Bridge.  :)

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on March 13, 2014, 05:05:28 AM
This Musica Omnia release looks extremely interesting:

[asin]B00FJ4L790[/asin]

Anyway, at least the 1st disk (with Beghin) seems a re-releas of an excellent old recording on Bridge.  :)

That IS interesting! Yes, no doubt #1 - 12 and Arianna a Naxos are the old Bridge recording, my very favorite in those works. Do you know, there is no single set (excepting Ameling/Demus's complete Lieder) of #13 - 24? Until now, apparently. Thanks for pointing this up, Gordo, it's now already in my cart!  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Not that it makes any difference to me one way or the other, but I find this blurb from Amazon's page on this disk to be interesting:

QuoteComplete recording of all 24 of Haydn's German songs. World premiere recording. Performed by experts in 18th century performance practice, including the art of ornamenting Haydn's vocal music. Accompaniments are performed on replicas of Haydn's fortepiano from around 1790. Booklet essay by distinguished Haydn scholar, Professor James Webster from Cornell University. A note on performance by fortepianist Tom Beghin is also included, along with English translations of all the song texts.

I already have all 24 German Lieder, Arianna a Naxos and the two Italian Duets on these disks. So clearly my curiosity is aroused. :)

Maybe they mean 'all in one place'.

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Que

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 13, 2014, 05:35:02 AM
That IS interesting! Yes, no doubt #1 - 12 and Arianna a Naxos are the old Bridge recording, my very favorite in those works. Do you know, there is no single set (excepting Ameling/Demus's complete Lieder) of #13 - 24? Until now, apparently. Thanks for pointing this up, Gordo, it's now already in my cart!  :)

8)

Definitely!  :) How could we have missed this? ??? :D

Q

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Que on March 13, 2014, 01:13:30 PM
Definitely!  :) How could we have missed this? ??? :D

Q

In all fairness, Gordo is in the Top 3 in the world for discovering out new releases that I like, so beating him to it is no easy matter! :o  Also, it has only been out for, like, 3 weeks. Still...  :-\

8)

HIPster

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 13, 2014, 03:10:04 PM
In all fairness, Gordo is in the Top 3 in the world for discovering out new releases that I like, so beating him to it is no easy matter! :o  Also, it has only been out for, like, 3 weeks. Still...  :-\

8)

+1

Gordo has the eyes of a hawk when it comes to finding out about releases - new or otherwise!   :)

Thread duty ~

Just ordered from the amazon mp:
Concertos for Harpsichord and Violin

Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 13, 2014, 03:10:04 PM

8)
Quote from: HIPster on March 13, 2014, 03:37:08 PM
+1

Gordo has the eyes of a hawk when it comes to finding out about releases - new or otherwise!   :)

Well, I guess one of the greatest pleasures of any passion is the chance of communicate our small findings.  :)

BTW, I saw the Musica Omnia disk for the first time just today, advertised by Amazon on this board.  ;)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: HIPster on March 13, 2014, 03:37:08 PM
+1

Thread duty ~

Just ordered from the amazon mp:
Concertos for Harpsichord and Violin

That's a fine disk, you should be pleased with it. I like their performance of the Duo Concerto particularly. :)

Quote from: Gordo on March 13, 2014, 04:01:17 PM
Well, I guess one of the greatest pleasures of any passion is the chance of communicate our small findings.  :)

BTW, I saw the Musica Omnia disk for the first time just today, advertised by Amazon on this board.  ;)

Indeed, can't disagree with that. And there you see the downside of not getting the adverts... :-\  :D

8)

Gurn Blanston

I was delighted to see that in 1769, Haydn finally got back to writing quartets. It had been a while, no doubt. I had some thoughts on all this, if you are interested, check it out here:

String quartets again; finally!

Thanks,m and if you want to discuss, please feel free!

Cheers,
8)

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 13, 2014, 06:28:47 PM
I was delighted to see that in 1769, Haydn finally got back to writing quartets. It had been a while, no doubt. I had some thoughts on all this, if you are interested, check it out here:

String quartets again; finally!

Thanks,m and if you want to discuss, please feel free!

Cheers,
8)

I see the long in, Gurn, but then it wants me to give an email and or start a 14 day trial for free.  Is this correct?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on March 13, 2014, 06:57:21 PM
I am in.

That was strange, I hadn't heard of it doing that before. You must not have been holding your tongue right the first time. :)

8)

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 13, 2014, 07:02:09 PM
That was strange, I hadn't heard of it doing that before. You must not have been holding your tongue right the first time. :)

8)

The Colorado-Haydn connection is not to be toyed with my friend as noted in being the first to join the blog.  That is why I wear this mask....justice, freedom and Haydn for all. ;)

Bogey

Revisiting a set that Andre? (Papa Smurf days) lead me to.  Yes it's Marriner, but that does not necessarily mean a poor or uninspired performance. Rather, I hear quality.  This goes for Gerhard Wilhelm's efforts here as well.  The soloists are first rate and if one were to be walking by a church of these folks performing this live, I find it hard to believe that one would not be drawn through the front doors.

Oddly, this set is out of print, or has been re-released on another set that I have not looked for.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on March 13, 2014, 07:04:55 PM
The Colorado-Haydn connection is not to be toyed with my friend as noted in being the first to join the blog.  That is why I wear this mask....justice, freedom and Haydn for all. ;)

I bow to your high-country wisdom. Thank you, sir! (who was that masked man?)  :)

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Bogey on March 13, 2014, 07:04:55 PM

Thank you, gentlemen both, for this smile!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

I finished up the music of 1769 tonight. There are some attractive works from this year in total, and it ends up with a rather popular concerto which I have read some good comments about right here in Da Haus. Check it out if you like, feel free to discuss. I love to discuss. :)

The last of the '760's

Thanks for reading,
8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 15, 2014, 06:13:46 PM
I finished up the music of 1769 tonight. There are some attractive works from this year in total, and it ends up with a rather popular concerto which I have read some good comments about right here in Da Haus. Check it out if you like, feel free to discuss. I love to discuss. :)

The last of the '760's

Thanks for reading,
8)

"If you want to puzzle on something, try to figure out how Haydn came to be composing a work for an outsider when he was under contract with the Prince."

I see a play/movie from this, Haydn and Esterházy. Could be the next Amadeus.

Thanks for the new posting, Gurn. Always a good read.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 15, 2014, 07:11:54 PM
"If you want to puzzle on something, try to figure out how Haydn came to be composing a work for an outsider when he was under contract with the Prince."

I see a play/movie from this, Haydn and Esterházy. Could be the next Amadeus.

Thanks for the new posting, Gurn. Always a good read.

Thanks, Greg, I appreciate your constancy.

Hmm, a play or movie... that would be something! Milos Foreman; where are you when I need you?  :)

Despite there being no record of it, I wonder if Paradis stopped at Eszterházy on her tour. Everyone did, who could. In that case, the Prince, being a prince of a fellow, could have offered her a Haydn concerto in return for a performance. As always, it is easy to speculate when there is no documentation. :)

8)