Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 21, 2014, 12:08:41 PM
True, and you know, the keyboard is intended to fill in the texture, not to sound like just a separate instrument. This is the root of Sarge's objection to Pinnock's Haydn, I believe. There is a difference between filling in texture and being another (leading) instrument in the band! :o

8)

Never cared for Pinnock....
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Speaking of which, what is your folks' take on Dorati's  Haydn cycle(?) ?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on March 21, 2014, 05:42:28 PM
Never cared for Pinnock....

Like him a lot as a soloist. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on March 21, 2014, 05:49:11 PM
Speaking of which, what is your folks' take on Dorati's  Haydn cycle(?) ?

The operas are excellent. He had good soloists though, that helps a lot.  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 21, 2014, 05:51:06 PM
The operas are excellent. He had good soloists though, that helps a lot.  :)

8)

Symphonies?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on March 21, 2014, 05:53:15 PM
Symphonies?

I've only heard a few of them, they show their age IMO, but you know what that's worth. For when they were recorded, they were light years better than any Haydn symphony recordings around, if only because they used critical editions which weren't available to earlier performers. If I was picking out a set for the purposes which you do, I would take Dorati any day over any of the others. However, if I was just looking for a set on modern instruments, I would take Fischer over any of the others available. I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to get the whole cycle on vinyl.

The operas are very good though! :)

8)

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 21, 2014, 05:59:40 PM
I've only heard a few of them, they show their age IMO, but you know what that's worth. For when they were recorded, they were light years better than any Haydn symphony recordings around, if only because they used critical editions which weren't available to earlier performers. If I was picking out a set for the purposes which you do, I would take Dorati any day over any of the others. However, if I was just looking for a set on modern instruments, I would take Fischer over any of the others available. I wouldn't be surprised if you were able to get the whole cycle on vinyl.

The operas are very good though! :)

8)

Well, that might be he case.  A shop has a number of the Dorati boxes collecting dust bunnies and the manager said I can have them for half off.  A very fair price.  However, I am still approaching over 100 bones since they have quite a few.  I have Fischer's, so that may be where I need to cut bait and move on if I am not going to garner anything extra special.  Thanks!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on March 21, 2014, 06:08:34 PM
Well, that might be he case.  A shop has a number of the Dorati boxes collecting dust bunnies and the manager said I can have them for half off.  A very fair price.  However, I am still approaching over 100 bones since they have quite a few.  I have Fischer's, so that may be where I need to cut bait and move on if I am not going to garner anything extra special.  Thanks!

Well, modern instrument Haydn isn't my specialty, Bill, so you should seek the opinion of someone who has heard the set and compared them to others. I haven't the heart to do that. :)

8)

Bogey

Maybe I will grab one.  See if I can net my favorite (#77).  Speaking of which, odd how such a beautiful piece has so few recordings.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/albumList.jsp?name_id1=5170&name_role1=1&comp_id=76920&genre=66&bcorder=195

at least in print.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on March 21, 2014, 06:14:59 PM
Maybe I will grab one.  See if I can net my favorite (#77).  Speaking of which, odd how such a beautiful piece has so few recordings.

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/albumList.jsp?name_id1=5170&name_role1=1&comp_id=76920&genre=66&bcorder=195

at least in print.

I note that the Orpheus couple it with #44 in e. That has to be the pick of the litter I would think. Note that even the 9 they show are actually fewer: the Naxos is twice, the Dorati is twice, the Fischer is 3 times! That leaves Goodman and Orpheus, do actually just 5 versions there. :o

I prefer this one:

[asin]B000IJS0U0[/asin]

but they are raping you on the price these days. I bought it brand new on 9/24/2011 for $5.98. Used for $8.90 is not bad though. Damn, they sure like to take advantage!  >:(

8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 21, 2014, 08:10:11 AM
And yet none of the versions I own of 98 use a keyboard continuo, including the HIPsters Kuijken and Minkowski...

Went through my No. 98 recordings (8 total) and the only one that uses a keyboard throughout is Solti/LPO.

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 21, 2014, 06:21:45 PM
I note that the Orpheus couple it with #44 in e. That has to be the lick of the litter I would think. Note that even the 9 they show are actually fewer: the Naxos is twice, the Dorati is twice, the Fischer is 3 times! That leaves Goodman and Orpheus, do actually just 5 versions there. :o

I prefer this one:

[asin]B000IJS0U0[/asin]

but they are raping you on the price these days. I bought it brand new on 9/24/2011 for $5.98. Used for $8.90 is not bad though. Damn, they sure like to take advantage!  >:(

8)

I have that 77 spinning as I type.  What a GREAT recording. 

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on March 21, 2014, 06:43:57 PM
I have that 77 spinning as I type.  What a GREAT recording.

Life is good. :)

8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 21, 2014, 06:53:46 PM
Life is good. :)

8)

Unless the only two 77 discs you own are Orpheus and Fischer. Which is me. ???

:D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 21, 2014, 06:55:08 PM
Unless the only two 77 discs you own are Orpheus and Fischer. Which is me. ???

:D

I thought that Orpheus disk looked good. I have a few of theirs and I like them, actually. I have Fischer too, of course, but I can't remember how it does, I haven't heard it in a few years. Right now I'm queuing up some 98's to see how the continuo goes in them. I got a couple more that haven't been mentioned.

8)

Bogey

Does this set have the 76 and 77?

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 21, 2014, 06:58:00 PM
I thought that Orpheus disk looked good. I have a few of theirs and I like them, actually. I have Fischer too, of course, but I can't remember how it does, I haven't heard it in a few years. Right now I'm queuing up some 98's to see how the continuo goes in them. I got a couple more that haven't been mentioned.

8)

My 98s...

Solti/LPO,
Fischer,
Szell,
Minkowski,
Harnoncourt/RCO,
Norrington/Stuttgart,
Slatkin/Phil,
Koopman/Amsterdam BO.

Post which ones you have other than these, Gurn. 98 is one of my top 5 from Haydn's symphonies and would love to hear more HIP performances.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Bogey on March 21, 2014, 06:59:47 PM

Does this set have the 76 and 77?

I don't know, L'Oiseau Lyre didn't publish it, they sold the rights to BBC, so maybe not.  :-\

8)

Bogey

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 21, 2014, 07:04:32 PM
I don't know, L'Oiseau Lyre didn't publish it, they sold the rights to BBC, so maybe not.  :-\

8)

Karl had listed 76 from the set on the listening thread, but I cannot find it on the set.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 21, 2014, 07:03:04 PM
My 98s...

Solti/LPO,
Fischer,
Szell,
Minkowski,
Harnoncourt/RCO,
Norrington/Stuttgart,
Slatkin/Phil,
Koopman/Amsterdam BO.

Post which ones you have other than these, Gurn. 98 is one of my top 5 from Haydn's symphonies and would love to hear more HIP performances.

I'm listening to Brüggen/Orchestra of the 18th Century right now. I don't hear any continuo in it, but it's a nice performance, I must say. It's one of those Philips Duos.

8)