Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chasmaniac

QuoteSince I am one of the intended audience for this art, I take it rather personally when I am told that my 'great enjoyment in listening to this or that piece of music is sadly misplaced, because actually it sucks'.

Hehe. Right on.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Gurn Blanston

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 25, 2014, 07:57:51 AM
I really think you would like the Immerseel, Sarge. With 44 & 45 and Concerto Hob 11 on there, the coupling is hard to beat

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 25, 2014, 11:07:27 AM
A big +1 for the Haydn/Immerseel disc of 44/45, I purchased it off a Gurn rec over a year ago, definitely becoming a favorite recording of both works.

I ordered it, and an hour ago Amazon confirmed shipment. Should be here tomorrow  8)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 26, 2014, 05:10:21 AM
I ordered it, and an hour ago Amazon confirmed shipment. Should be here tomorrow  8)

Sarge

Excellent. Hope you will let us know how it does for you. 0:)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

I've read about half the new blog post (and will return to read the rest); well done, O Gurn!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on March 26, 2014, 05:21:50 AM
I've read about half the new blog post (and will return to read the rest); well done, O Gurn!

Thank you, Karl. I like all those works, it's irritating to read Landon saying there is no reason for them to be popular.  >:(

8)

Karl Henning

It is (I think) doubly annoying, in that he did so much important work for Haydn musicologically, to have him needlessly talking any of the music down . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on March 26, 2014, 05:51:03 AM
It is (I think) doubly annoying, in that he did so much important work for Haydn musicologically, to have him needlessly talking any of the music down . . . .

Wait til you hear his take on the symphonies post-S&D/pre-Paris! It is stunning that he didn't seem to have any grip on them at all. Oh well, we all have our blind spots. :-\

8)

Ken B

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 25, 2014, 07:16:19 AM
Pinnock's Fireworks is the greatest I've ever heard, with a unique drama. No one else even comes close. Utterly satisfying.

I'm not averse to his Mozart Symphony box either, especially the pre-Little G minor juvenilia. The few samples I've compared to Hogwood, though, show Hogwood to be a bit more interesting, more rough hewn.

Sarge
Yes, I like Pinnock's Handel and Bach a LOT.  I described my reaction to his Haydn. I got his Mozart symphonies dirt cheap, $20 for the complete set at a brick and mortar, but am not 100% happy with it and cannot put my finger on why. Maybe the the why is I'm a Hoggy guy.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on March 26, 2014, 09:15:34 AM
Yes, I like Pinnock's Handel and Bach a LOT.  I described my reaction to his Haydn. I got his Mozart symphonies dirt cheap, $20 for the complete set at a brick and mortar, but am not 100% happy with it and cannot put my finger on why. Maybe the the why is I'm a Hoggy guy.

I believe you would be delighted with Hogwood's Mozart. At 19 disks, it was the first 'big box' I ever bought. Back then, when it was first released, the $150+ nearly knocked me over. I'm delighted with it now though. You can get it for <100 nowadays, as I've seen in the 'Purchases' thread.  :)

8)

DavidW

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 26, 2014, 10:14:17 AM
I believe you would be delighted with Hogwood's Mozart. At 19 disks, it was the first 'big box' I ever bought. Back then, when it was first released, the $150+ nearly knocked me over. I'm delighted with it now though. You can get it for <100 nowadays, as I've seen in the 'Purchases' thread.  :)

8)

I forgot again, why is it twice the size of the other ones?  Does it include all of the serenades as well?

kishnevi

Quote from: DavidW on March 26, 2014, 07:30:21 PM
I forgot again, why is it twice the size of the other ones?  Does it include all of the serenades as well?

Not sure if it's all the serenades, but there's at least a couple in there.   But it also includes the "sinfonias" that did not make it into the Official Canon of Forty One.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on March 26, 2014, 07:30:21 PM

Not the full serenades, but the symphonies which he made and Leopold got published which were reduced from the serenade by removing the concerto parts. You can take a serenade and make a full symphony and a concerto out of it (usually violin, like the Haffner is).

In addition, Mozart rescored several of his symphonies by adding instruments. Both versions are included in that box, and so you get a different take with the different instrumentation.

8)

HIPster

Dropping into this thread is so very rewarding!  Thanks Gurn and all who post. 

Listened to Pinnock's Sym. 46, 45 and 42 last night.  Very nice!  I'll probably play Tafelmusik's "Farewell" tonight.

And of course I just had to purchase some Haydn :laugh:, in this case this one from Hans-Martin Linde, which I've had my eye on for some time:
[asin]B000025KIE[/asin]

Gordo turned me on to Linde's Brandenburg's a while back and I am very taken with them.  Seems logical to me to move into Haydn territory next. . .
;)

With Prime shipping, this should arrive on Saturday and so I'll get some weekend listening with it - always a bonus!
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: HIPster on March 27, 2014, 05:47:13 AM
Dropping into this thread is so very rewarding!  Thanks Gurn and all who post. 

Listened to Pinnock's Sym. 46, 45 and 42 last night.  Very nice!  I'll probably play Tafelmusik's "Farewell" tonight.

And of course I just had to purchase some Haydn :laugh:, in this case this one from Hans-Martin Linde, which I've had my eye on for some time:
[asin]B000025KIE[/asin]

Gordo turned me on to Linde's Brandenburg's a while back and I am very taken with them.  Seems logical to me to move into Haydn territory next. . .
;)

With Prime shipping, this should arrive on Saturday and so I'll get some weekend listening with it - always a bonus!

Glad to have you!  :) 

I love that Linde disk. It is all early stuff, like mid to late 1750's, very well played. It's a long way from the London Symphonies, but sometimes that's a good thing. :)

8)

kishnevi

This is on its way to me now (I posted it the other day in the Purchases thread)
[asin]B001HU91TI[/asin]

I have a few of Consortium's CDs already, most importantly their Beethoven set, so I'm looking forward to matching this against the Haydn Wien Sinfonietta on BIS I already have.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Mind you, I'd enjoy a Mingus av about just as well . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA