Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 27, 2014, 06:55:25 AM
This is on its way to me now (I posted it the other day in the Purchases thread)
[asin]B001HU91TI[/asin]

I have a few of Consortium's CDs already, most importantly their Beethoven set, so I'm looking forward to matching this against the Haydn Wien Sinfonietta on BIS I already have.

It's a nice box. Most of the works are 'attributed to', not actual Haydn, but there are a modest amount of authentic works in there too. Of course, Sinfonietta Wien only do the authentic ones. In addition, CC is not PI, not that it detracts, Klöcker is very good about playing in a period style, despite being on modern instruments. I'm pleased I have that box, I think you will be too. ANd I am very fond of my Beethoven set by them, and a little Schubert I have too. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

chasmaniac

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 27, 2014, 07:08:59 AM
Klöcker is very good about playing in a period style, despite being on modern instruments. I'm pleased I have that box, I think you will be too. ANd I am very fond of my Beethoven set by them, and a little Schubert I have too. :)

8)

Yes, I have CPO discs of them playing Krommer and Pleyel. Solid band.
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Karl Henning

Thread Duty:

At last, I made a point of making sure I had the DRD disc with the Bb symphony, № 98 in the car for my (short, but in this case sufficient) drive to the train station.  I listened to the Finale. Presto.

First, I found to my pleasure that I have listened to it before!  I don't know about any of you, but I am still a great distance from any ability to recall any but a small few of the symphonies.  Though they are all expert and enjoyable when I listen to them!

Second, the appearance of the harpsichord in two passages (are there more, and was I inattentive? . . . well, I was driving . . .) delight me no end.

And . . . the three of us had an errand which necessitated a drive to Cambridge last night, and a longer trip than normal, as it was still the hour of the evening commute.  No matter:  we had Hogwood and the Hornsignal with us, and it was grand to share the exquisite Adagio variations with them.  With Haydn in the car, no car journey is tedious!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on March 27, 2014, 07:25:37 AM
Thread Duty:

At last, I made a point of making sure I had the DRD disc with the Bb symphony, № 98 in the car for my (short, but in this case sufficient) drive to the train station.  I listened to the Finale. Presto.

First, I found to my pleasure that I have listened to it before!  I don't know about any of you, but I am still a great distance from any ability to recall any but a small few of the symphonies.  Though they are all expert and enjoyable when I listen to them!

Second, the appearance of the harpsichord in two passages (are there more, and was I inattentive? . . . well, I was driving . . .) delight me no end.

And . . . the three of us had an errand which necessitated a drive to Cambridge last night, and a longer trip than normal, as it was still the hour of the evening commute.  No matter:  we had Hogwood and the Hornsignal with us, and it was grand to share the exquisite Adagio variations with them.  With Haydn in the car, no car journey is tedious!

Thanks for sharing, Karl. Haydn and car trips do make a great combo!
98 is a top 5 Haydn Symphony for me, mostly for the gorgeous Adagio and the charmingly inventive finale. It was the mini keyboard recital at the end of the piece that sealed it for me.

DavidW

Quote from: karlhenning on March 27, 2014, 07:25:37 AM

First, I found to my pleasure that I have listened to it before! 

Did you remember, or do you mark the ones you listened to in a big box by pulling a hair out of your beard and sticking it on the cd? ;D  I have trouble remembering what I have and have not listened to in a big box.

QuoteAnd . . . the three of us had an errand which necessitated a drive to Cambridge last night, and a longer trip than normal, as it was still the hour of the evening commute.  No matter:  we had Hogwood and the Hornsignal with us, and it was grand to share the exquisite Adagio variations with them.  With Haydn in the car, no car journey is tedious!

I think that the Hornsignal is the highlight of the Hogwood box.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: DavidW on March 27, 2014, 09:10:23 AM
Did you remember, or do you mark the ones you listened to in a big box by pulling a hair out of your beard and sticking it on the cd? ;D  I have trouble remembering what I have and have not listened to in a big box.

I have no such issue. I just listen to the whole ting again, no harm done. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Roberto

Quote from: DavidW on March 27, 2014, 09:10:23 AM
If I have a big box I listened to the CDs in order. If I completely listened to a CD I put it at the bottom of the box. When I finished the box the 1st CD will be on the top again. (Unfortunately I have no enough time to listen to music so a bix box could take months to complete.  :()

Karl Henning

Davey's question is much to the point . . . at this time, I am not sure where I stand (with as-yet-unlistened-to CDs) in either the Hogwood or DRD boxes.

I just know that, whatever I pull out, it will be wonderful music, and splendidly performed  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

TheGSMoeller

Cross post from listening thread...

A few from Haydn for the morning. No.98 from Harnoncourt/RCO. Great performance, with an ending that took me by surprise at first. Harnoncourt pumps the brakes quite a bit right before the keyboard entrance, a little jarring if you're looking for a continuous pace towards the final chords. But it actually makes the keyboard entrance even more delightful and sweet.
Then Nos. 2 and 3 from the Op.76 quartets performed by The Lindsays. Which is becoming a top choice for the 76 quartets. The Lindsays offer the perfect blend of balance, crispness, intensity and individual interpretation.

Sergeant Rock

I've heard each work twice now. Although I haven't done comparisons yet I can see this becoming a favorite recording of all three. I don't think I've enjoyed the Piano Concerto quite this much before. Of course I appreciate hearing the symphonies with no amorous skeletons on the roof  :D  Immerseel, in the liner notes, quotes James Webster on that point, agreeing with him. I like too his decision on the size of the orchestra, varying the forces employed for each symphony. Works nicely, I think.

Sarge   
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 28, 2014, 07:10:17 AM

I've heard each work twice now. Although I haven't done comparisons yet I can see this becoming a favorite recording of all three. I don't think I've enjoyed the Piano Concerto quite this much before. Of course I appreciate hearing the symphonies with no amorous skeletons on the roof  :D  Immerseel, in the liner notes, quotes James Webster on that point, agreeing with him. I like too his decision on the size of the orchestra, varying the forces employed for each symphony. Works nicely, I think.

Sarge

I'm delighted, Sarge. Last week when I was writing the essay on #44 I listened to every version I had, a few times each, and came away with this one at the top of the heap, reinforcing my earlier placement of it there 2 years ago. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Just published my latest blog installment. This time I wanted to take a look at the music of 1770 written for the home. There's a little bit of everything this year!

Serious and not so much

Have a look if you care to. Love to discuss. :)

8)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 28, 2014, 07:27:11 AM
I'm delighted, Sarge. Last week when I was writing the essay on #44 I listened to every version I had, a few times each, and came away with this one at the top of the heap, reinforcing my earlier placement of it there 2 years ago. :)

8)

Any chance of more Haydn from the Immerseel/Anima combo?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 28, 2014, 06:08:13 PM

I don't know. Other than this one disk, they surprisingly stayed away from more Haydn. I haven't a clue what they are up to now, perhaps someone knows. That would be great! :)

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 28, 2014, 06:08:13 PM

No, AFAIK they haven't recorded more symphonies, just this 2007 "Missa Cellensis":

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on March 28, 2014, 06:25:37 PM
No, AFAIK they haven't recorded more symphonies, just this 2007 "Missa Cellensis":

Doh! I was thinking just of instrumental music and completely forgot about my favorite version of that mass! Thanks for prodding my memory, Gordito!  :)

8)

EigenUser

I've been trying to expand my listening habits and since I love 20th century music so much (my trio is Bartok, Ravel, and Ligeti  >:D) I've been listening to more and more "modern" stuff. I've found actually quite a lot that I like, but I realized that I should look back, too. There seems to be an enthusiastic group of Haydn fans on this board so I figure that I should give him a shot. I listened to one of the Haydn "Composer of the Week" podcasts from BBC Radio3 and enjoyed some of the samples of music played there. I don't care much for Mozart, but Haydn seemed much more interesting. His melodies seemed less "straightforward", or at least that was the impression that I got. I also understand that he was considerably experimental in his time. Can anyone here recommend a few of his symphonies or concertos that I might possibly enjoy and/or that would be a good starting place? I'm more interested in larger-scale works than chamber music literature.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: EigenUser on March 28, 2014, 07:37:49 PM
Can anyone here recommend a few of his symphonies or concertos that I might possibly enjoy and/or that would be a good starting place? I'm more interested in larger-scale works than chamber music literature.

You've come to the right Haus;D

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 28, 2014, 07:07:33 PM
Doh! I was thinking just of instrumental music and completely forgot about my favorite version of that mass! Thanks for prodding my memory, Gordito!  :)

8)

My pleasure, dear friend.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire