Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 20, 2014, 06:14:09 AM
Yes, that is a good deal. I'm delighted to have it, of course . . . .

And a signed copy! 8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Quote from: EigenUser on May 20, 2014, 06:17:50 AM
I like the unintended pun in the title.

Hadn't ever occurred to me before. Thank you!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on May 20, 2014, 06:42:29 AM
And a signed copy! 8)

Well, I don't like to brag.... 0:)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

EigenUser

Ugh, this is so frustrating >:(. Yesterday, I bought that nice hardbound score of symphonies 1-12. I decided to first buy recordings of 6, 7, and 8 to follow along (since they are the most well-known). Then, I open the score and try to find 6.  It turns out that the score isn't symphonies 1-12. Only 1-3. So, I buy recordings of 1-3. I sit down on my hammock (beautiful outside), open the score, and press 'play' for the first one. The music doesn't match!!!  >:( >:D ??? :blank:. But, they are clearly labeled 1, 2, and 3 in the title! Well, I have no idea what these numbers are, because it turns out that the actual symphony number is next to the Hoboken number!

Well, I guess it's not a waste of money since it's good music, but I have no idea why there are different numbers.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: EigenUser on May 20, 2014, 12:45:43 PM
Ugh, this is so frustrating >:(. Yesterday, I bought that nice hardbound score of symphonies 1-12. I decided to first buy recordings of 6, 7, and 8 to follow along (since they are the most well-known). Then, I open the score and try to find 6.  It turns out that the score isn't symphonies 1-12. Only 1-3. So, I buy recordings of 1-3. I sit down on my hammock (beautiful outside), open the score, and press 'play' for the first one. The music doesn't match!!!  >:( >:D ??? :blank:. But, they are clearly labeled 1, 2, and 3 in the title! Well, I have no idea what these numbers are, because it turns out that the actual symphony number is next to the Hoboken number!

Well, I guess it's not a waste of money since it's good music, but I have no idea why there are different numbers.

No 87 ;D

What are the other ones?

EigenUser

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 20, 2014, 01:01:05 PM
No 87 ;D

What are the other ones?
Oops, I meant to put that in my last post. 87, 85, and 83 (oddly marked 1, 2, and 3, respectively).
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: EigenUser on May 20, 2014, 12:45:43 PM

Well, you are new to Haydn, so you hadn't got a good taste yet of how screwed up it all is. The fact that I try to sort things out as I go along in my blog is not because I like that sort of thing, particularly, it is because I need it sorted for myself! There are a dozen different numbering systems for Haydn's symphonies (especially), and it appears that yours has begun at the Paris Symphonies. The actual chronology of the Paris symphonies is this:

NC  KEY   HOB
84   A   87
85   Bb   85
86   g   83
87   Eb   84
88   D   86
89   C   82

so your symphony, Hob 87 in A, is actually #1 of the Paris works.

Another interesting scheme involves a British publisher who gave each symphony he published a letter. The one that stuck is Hob 88, which is called 'The Letter V'. So, really, you just are getting your toes wet. The reason I am partially insane is I have been doing this for the last 7 years. ::)  :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

EigenUser

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 20, 2014, 01:04:26 PM
Well, you are new to Haydn, so you hadn't got a good taste yet of how screwed up it all is. The fact that I try to sort things out as I go along in my blog is not because I like that sort of thing, particularly, it is because I need it sorted for myself! There are a dozen different numbering systems for Haydn's symphonies (especially), and it appears that yours has begun at the Paris Symphonies. The actual chronology of the Paris symphonies is this:

NC  KEY   HOB
84   A   87
85   Bb   85
86   g   83
87   Eb   84
88   D   86
89   C   82

so your symphony, Hob 87 in A, is actually #1 of the Paris works.

Another interesting scheme involves a British publisher who gave each symphony he published a letter. The one that stuck is Hob 88, which is called 'The Letter V'. So, really, you just are getting your toes wet. The reason I am partially insane is I have been doing this for the last 7 years. ::)  :D

8)
Thanks! Really appreciated. I plan on taking a few more trips to the music store before they close for good and this will be good to know. The quality of printing is top-notch -- clearly a critical edition with notes in the front. Problem is, the notes are all in German. As long as I can initially sort all of this out, it won't bother me once I actually have them (and actually know what I have ::)).

There was also this very old-looking book over 800 pages about the Haydn symphonies. The price was written in at the top "$400" (as well as "used"), but I'm pretty sure that can't be right. It was literally falling apart. I doubt it was an antique, either, as it was up there with all of the other music textbooks. I meant to ask about it before I left, but I forgot. Hopefully it's still there next time I go (probably this weekend).

I'll be sure to check out your blog and a few other things before going next time.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: EigenUser on May 20, 2014, 01:13:51 PM
Thanks! Really appreciated. I plan on taking a few more trips to the music store before they close for good and this will be good to know. The quality of printing is top-notch -- clearly a critical edition with notes in the front. Problem is, the notes are all in German. As long as I can initially sort all of this out, it won't bother me once I actually have them (and actually know what I have ::)).

There was also this very old-looking book over 800 pages about the Haydn symphonies. The price was written in at the top "$400" (as well as "used"), but I'm pretty sure that can't be right. It was literally falling apart. I doubt it was an antique, either, as it was up there with all of the other music textbooks. I meant to ask about it before I left, but I forgot. Hopefully it's still there next time I go (probably this weekend).

I'll be sure to check out your blog and a few other things before going next time.

The book is "Haydn's Symphonies" by H.C.Robbins-Landon. $400 is about right. It is the first definitive book on the subject and has yet to be surpassed, although there should have been an update a few years ago, but Landon went and died and there you go.

If that score is the one you had the cover pictured earlier where it is called "Joseph Haydn Werke", that is published by the Haydn Institute in Germany,  and it is as you say, the critical edition for anyone who can read German. There is another entire edition published by Landon available on IMDB but it can't be downloaded in the US for copyright reasons. I have a few of them which a good friend downloaded and emailed to me. You might find some of those in your bookstore. They will be in English, and are the ones to have, they match up with any modern recording you will hear. Not that old crap though...   0:)  >:D  0:)  :D

8)

EigenUser

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 20, 2014, 01:22:15 PM
The book is "Haydn's Symphonies" by H.C.Robbins-Landon. $400 is about right. It is the first definitive book on the subject and has yet to be surpassed, although there should have been an update a few years ago, but Landon went and died and there you go.

If that score is the one you had the cover pictured earlier where it is called "Joseph Haydn Werke", that is published by the Haydn Institute in Germany,  and it is as you say, the critical edition for anyone who can read German. There is another entire edition published by Landon available on IMDB but it can't be downloaded in the US for copyright reasons. I have a few of them which a good friend downloaded and emailed to me. You might find some of those in your bookstore. They will be in English, and are the ones to have, they match up with any modern recording you will hear. Not that old crap though...   0:)  >:D  0:)  :D

8)
Wow, I had no idea that there was a Haydn Institute. Sure enough, it says that on one of the first pages. And what a deal -- a hardcover for $14!

EigenUser

I decided to go back to that music store on this coming Friday. They had a few more Haydn 'werke' hardcovers (may have been chamber music) and after you told me that this was legit stuff I've become paranoid that they'll be taken! I did hide a copy of an orchestration of Ravel's "Gaspard de la Nuit" (pushed it back so it wasn't visible ;D) with the intention of buying it next time I go, but I should have hid the Haydn (no pun intended :D).

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: EigenUser on May 21, 2014, 12:49:18 PM
I decided to go back to that music store on this coming Friday. They had a few more Haydn 'werke' hardcovers (may have been chamber music) and after you told me that this was legit stuff I've become paranoid that they'll be taken! I did hide a copy of an orchestration of Ravel's "Gaspard de la Nuit" (pushed it back so it wasn't visible ;D) with the intention of buying it next time I go, but I should have hid the Haydn (no pun intended :D).

Yes, the JHW (as they are called) books are, in some cases, the only source at all for particular works. Their goal is to publish everything, and they have been hard at it since ~1960, but there are still some things unpublished. You are lucky to have found a source, they are thin on the ground, and where I live, they are virtually nonexistent!  :)

8)

kishnevi

A post in the Favorite symphonies poll thread mentioned a portrait of an unwigged Haydn.  I've gone online looking for it, but not found it.  does anyone have a link   I'm curious to see what bald Papa looks like.

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 21, 2014, 02:04:19 PM
A post in the Favorite symphonies poll thread mentioned a portrait of an unwigged Haydn.  I've gone online looking for it, but not found it.  does anyone have a link   I'm curious to see what bald Papa looks like.
Sexier. All men look sexier bald.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Ken B on May 21, 2014, 02:13:30 PM
Sexier. All men look sexier bald.

I should forgo the comb over then?  ;)

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

kishnevi

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 21, 2014, 02:16:20 PM
I should forgo the comb over then?  ;)

Sarge

or shave your head and no one will be be able to tell you've got a receding hairline.
(this applies to me as well).

Ken B

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 21, 2014, 02:35:53 PM
or shave your head and no one will be be able to tell you've got a receding hairline.
Snort! That's just the way you guys can pretend to be bald!
8)

EigenUser

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 21, 2014, 02:04:19 PM

I burnt down my house to prevent it from burning down in the future! ;) ;D

Sergeant Rock

That may work when one is a twentysomething, or thirty, forty...but at 60 I don't think it will fool anyone...not that a comb over fools anyone either, except one's self  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

kishnevi

Quote from: EigenUser on May 21, 2014, 02:51:04 PM

I burnt down my house to prevent it from burning down in the future! ;) ;D

Perhaps because it's in profile, but that does not actually look like the portraits I'm most familiar with.   The nose seems too beaklike, for one thing.