Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 26, 2014, 03:55:43 PM
That is the most full-sounding Tangentenflügel I've ever heard! Interesting sounding instrument, I hope the liner notes discuss it a bit.

8)

Yes! It seems very interesting.

Another tangent piano I loved was that one played by Schooderwoerd in his recently released set of Mozart's clavier sonatas.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 26, 2014, 04:07:17 PM
Gordo,
I am no expert on voices, the only thing I've heard about it conceptually is a tendency to 'vibrato' when it wasn't intended to be, and perhaps a lack of range or power. If those are the telling signs, I must say that here she is as rock-steady as every, and since these songs and canzonettas don't require the range of, say, Mozart's c minor mass, one can't use that criterion usefully. I have a whole lot of versions of these songs by a wide range of vocal stylists, and she more than holds her own here. Hadjimarkos is a fine accompanist, too.

8)

Great! I was principally thinking of vibrato.

It would be a disappointment in her lovely white voice. 
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on May 26, 2014, 04:07:43 PM
Yes! It seems very interesting.

Another tangent piano I loved was that one played by Schoonderwoerd in his recently released set of Mozart's clavier sonatas.

I still haven't acquired that one yet, I move more slowly on Mozart than on Haydn (since I know they will be round for a while!). I will though. Actually, I rather enjoy my Lubimov set there. :)

Quote from: Gordo on May 26, 2014, 04:15:02 PM
Great! I was principally thinking of vibrato.

It would be a disappointment in her lovely white voice. 

Yes it would, although no one can sing at the highest level forever; the instrument will simply wear out in time. I am thankful for recordings which captured her in her prime. She and Ameling were stunningly good, and at nearly the same time! I can say that, I suppose, because they worked in my preferred repertoire, at least some of the time. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

For those of you who are interested, the latest status of the Fey series:

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 28, 2014, 02:46:54 PM

8)

98! Finally!!
My favorite from the Londons. Now he needs to make 80 and I'll be content.
Thanks for the chart, Gurn!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 28, 2014, 03:49:06 PM
98! Finally!!
My favorite from the Londons. Now he needs to make 80 and I'll be content.
Thanks for the chart, Gurn!

...ok, add 6, 63, 67, 68, 77 and 81, then I'll be content...

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 28, 2014, 03:50:54 PM

:D  You're welcome, Greg.

8)

Gurn Blanston

And to break away from symphonies for a bit, I've been looking at (and listening to) the first works which were ever 'officially' published by Haydn, the set of 6 sonatas for keyboard of 1773. Have a look, I think they are pretty interesting. :)

Making a splash in public

Thanks for reading,
8)

Sergeant Rock

8)

Cool. Where did you find it?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 28, 2014, 03:49:06 PM
Now he needs to make 80 and I'll be content.

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 28, 2014, 03:50:54 PM

I'm hoping that 77, 78 "The Stumbling Goat" and 80 will make it onto a single disc sooner rather than later. But there are so many missing between 1 and 38 we'll probably see a volume or two with these earlier symphonies first. Or maybe he'll plug the two holes left in the Paris/Chunnel/London spread first: 91 and 101.

Sarge

Brahmsian

8)

Oh, cool!!!  A Hobbit Bingo card!!  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 29, 2014, 03:36:37 AM
Cool. Where did you find it?

Sarge

A guy I know on another list put it together from info on the Hänssler site. If I was collecting these I would have liked it, so I figured you guys would too. :)

8)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 29, 2014, 03:45:33 AM
78 "The Stumbling Goat"
Sarge

Is this the real nickname for Symphony NO. 78?  Or yours?  :o :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 29, 2014, 04:14:53 AM
Is this the real nickname for Symphony NO. 78?  Or yours?  :o :)

Sara (Lethe) coined it. She thought the first movement's first theme sounded like it...  ;D 8)

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 29, 2014, 04:09:19 AM
A guy I know on another list put it together from info on the Hänssler site. If I was collecting these I would have liked it, so I figured you guys would too. :)

And I do. Thanks.

Sarge

Brahmsian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 29, 2014, 04:16:26 AM
Sara (Lethe) coined it. She thought the first movement's first theme sound like it...  ;D 8)

Sarge

Cool!  Now I'll have to go back and listen to it!  ;D

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: ChamberNut on May 29, 2014, 04:17:43 AM
Cool!  Now I'll have to go back and listen to it!  ;D

I don't need any particular reason....  0:)

8)

Oh, Ray, did you happen across my essay on #51? Curious if it agrees with your assessment. :)

Brahmsian

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 29, 2014, 04:29:08 AM
Oh, Ray, did you happen across my essay on #51? Curious if it agrees with your assessment. :)

Oh shoot, I haven't yet!  Definitely will check it out.  Love that # 51.  8)

EigenUser

So, what's the deal with the 2nd movement of 79? The presto section caught me off guard -- made me giggle. Is there a story behind this? I couldn't find anything too specific on Wikipedia.

Ohhh, this is so strange. I'm listening to Stockhausen while posting in the Haus ??? ??? ???  :blank: :blank: :blank:. I always imagine joining all you guys in a fancy parlor from the 1700s whenever I post here. This is just awkward :-[.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: EigenUser on May 29, 2014, 05:44:19 PM
So, what's the deal with the 2nd movement of 79? The presto section caught me off guard -- made me giggle. Is there a story behind this? I couldn't find anything too specific on Wikipedia.

Ohhh, this is so strange. I'm listening to Stockhausen while posting in the Haus ??? ??? ???  :blank: :blank: :blank:. I always imagine joining all you guys in a fancy parlor from the 1700s whenever I post here. This is just awkward :-[.

:D  Yes, Joe will do that to you when you least expect it. It is hard to tell exactly what he had in mind there, either he just felt like throwing in a little gypsy music for the hell of it, or (as Landon describes it) it is what is called a Kehraus, which is a little bit of a tune that a dance band plays at the end of the night and it's time to go home. In fact, it is loosely translated as 'go home' music. Now, why he would toss that in there is something you'll have to ask him when you see him. He is just that kind of guy.   :D

Don't worry, we are quite unbuttoned here. I even have my shoes off.... 0:)

8)