Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: orfeo on July 19, 2014, 04:14:50 AM
Popping in to mention here that I finally pulled the trigger and ordered those two sets of Kuijken symphonies, the 'Paris' symphonies on one pair of discs and nos. 88 to 92 on the other pair.

I know I'd had them pencilled in ever since the Haus informed me of the existence of the 88-92 set, but I had a quick listen to a couple of samples on iTunes before including them in my order. It was only 5 minutes of listening, but gee I'm looking forward to hearing the full works now! Sounded great!

I know you won't be disappointed in the 88-92 set, Le Petite Bande are in fine form there, it is one of my favorite efforts by them. The Paris set is Kuijken with a different band, some like it, some don't. I do. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Madiel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 19, 2014, 05:09:47 AM
I know you won't be disappointed in the 88-92 set, Le Petite Bande are in fine form there, it is one of my favorite efforts by them. The Paris set is Kuijken with a different band, some like it, some don't. I do. :)

8)

I took a sample or two from each, so I'm expecting to enjoy both.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Just to make a further point about this recording:

[asin]B008SCC36Q[/asin]

The soloists here are also all men, as well as the choir. So if you wanted to hear a male treble, no better time than the present!   :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Wakefield

I don't have those Decca 2-CD set, but this box set released by Decca: 

[asin]B0000042DO[/asin]
7-CD set

The whole thing is attractive and stylish, even although the masses are principally performed by MI bands.

The performances conducted by Preston (with Hogwood as organist) are scattered through different CDs in this set. So I though the short Missa "Rorate coeli desuper" was included in the second Decca disk I posted, as Preston is credited there. But I was wrong because the credits are because Preston is the organist in the Nelson Mass conducted by Sir David Wilcocks.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on July 19, 2014, 09:30:30 AM
I don't have those Decca 2-CD set, but this box set released by Decca: 

[asin]B0000042DO[/asin]
7-CD set

The whole thing is attractive and stylish, even although the masses are principally performed by MI bands.

The performances conducted by Preston (with Hogwood as organist) are scattered through different CDs in this set. So I though the short Missa "Rorate coeli desuper" was included in the second Decca disk I posted, as Preston is credited there. But I was wrong because the credits are because Preston is the organist in the Nelson Mass conducted by Sir David Wilcocks.

Ah. Well, I have the 2 Double-Decca's you posted earlier, got them together, foolishly thinking they were the same performers. I'm always especially irritated when I make a foolish mistake involving spending money, even if just a little.   :D

8)

Madiel

Gurn, are you familiar with this book?

[asin]025333487X[/asin]

I stumbled across a preview of it in Google Books. Just a few hundred pages on Haydn's symphonies...

It's volume 2 in a multi-book set.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: orfeo on July 20, 2014, 05:15:44 AM
Gurn, are you familiar with this book?

I stumbled across a preview of it in Google Books. Just a few hundred pages on Haydn's symphonies...

It's volume 2 in a multi-book set.

Orfeo,

Yes, I have that book. I use it as reference for quite a lot of my essays on the symphonies. I'm not  an educated and adept theoretician, and so it is a tough slog for me, but always valuable. Some of the symphonies he treats from a purely theory standpoint, while others he gives quite a bit of contextual background, which is where the value lies for me. It was $60 well spent, I think, since I have learned a lot from it; not least, I have learned how much I don't know about some things. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

It can be difficult sometimes to write about things which you aren't sure you like or don't like so much. This rarely happens to me with Haydn, and I'm still not sure, but here is my latest essay, having a look at the last 2 symphonies of 1775. See what you think!

Still pondering this...

Thanks!
8)

EigenUser

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 20, 2014, 10:45:49 AM
It can be difficult sometimes to write about things which you aren't sure you like or don't like so much. This rarely happens to me with Haydn, and I'm still not sure, but here is my latest essay, having a look at the last 2 symphonies of 1775. See what you think!

Still pondering this...

Thanks!
8)
Thanks for the read! My immature self can't wait for you to get to 93, particularly the slow movement ;D. It doesn't have a nickname, does it?

I went to another (not closing) music store in the area today and found a conductor's score of 94 sitting outside in the 50%-off clearance bin. What a surprise! I was tempted to get the score to Messiaen's awesome "Oiseaux Exotiques" piano concerto, but Haydn prevailed (Schumann PC, too). I'll get the Messiaen another time. It's overpriced, anyways -- $60 for a tiny score.

Then, as I as at checkout, I started wondering what Haydn would think of Messiaen's "Oiseaux Exotiques". A silly thought, I know, but I couldn't help but think about it.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: EigenUser on July 20, 2014, 04:15:09 PM
Thanks for the read! My immature self can't wait for you to get to 93, particularly the slow movement ;D. It doesn't have a nickname, does it?

I went to another (not closing) music store in the area today and found a conductor's score of 94 sitting outside in the 50%-off clearance bin. What a surprise! I was tempted to get the score to Messiaen's awesome "Oiseaux Exotiques" piano concerto, but Haydn prevailed (Schumann PC, too). I'll get the Messiaen another time. It's overpriced, anyways -- $60 for a tiny score.

Then, as I as at checkout, I started wondering what Haydn would think of Messiaen's "Oiseaux Exotiques". A silly thought, I know, but I couldn't help but think about it.

You're welcome. Thanks for reading!

A conductor's score. Is that, like, notated with musical directions and such? I've never seen one, I would like to. I might hunt around and see what I can find.

Well, Haydn was not one of those who rejected new things. I can only imagine he would have been surprised at first, then intrigued. Interesting avenue of inquiry, even though ultimately fruitless. :)

8)

EigenUser

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 20, 2014, 04:20:13 PM
You're welcome. Thanks for reading!

A conductor's score. Is that, like, notated with musical directions and such? I've never seen one, I would like to. I might hunt around and see what I can find.
It is the same as a mini score, but big (usually bigger than standard letter sized paper). A lot of mini scores are hard to read. Haydn isn't usually a problem because he doesn't often call for things like an army of horns, harps, celesta, onde Martinot, and alto ocarinas (;D), but when you get to Mahler, Schoenberg, and especially Ligeti it gets ridiculous. I have a mini Dover edition of Mahler's 7th which is illegible in some places. They actually make a mini score of Ligeti's "Atmospheres" which I got from the library one time. It calls for a huge orchestra, and every stringed instrument plays separate parts. The result?

Note that this isn't written in weird modern graphic notations (i.e. Penderecki's "magic marker music"). Those are actual notes.

I just specified conductor's score because they are harder to find in music stores and they are usually very expensive when they are available. Thus, I was surprised to see it there in a clearance bin.
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: EigenUser on July 20, 2014, 04:39:17 PM
It is the same as a mini score, but big (usually bigger than standard letter sized paper). A lot of mini scores are hard to read. Haydn isn't usually a problem because he doesn't often call for things like an army of horns, harps, celesta, onde Martinot, and alto ocarinas (;D), but when you get to Mahler, Schoenberg, and especially Ligeti it gets ridiculous. I have a mini Dover edition of Mahler's 7th which is illegible in some places. They actually make a mini score of Ligeti's "Atmospheres" which I got from the library one time. It calls for a huge orchestra, and every stringed instrument plays separate parts. The result?

Note that this isn't written in weird modern graphic notations (i.e. Penderecki's "magic marker music"). Those are actual notes.

I just specified conductor's score because they are harder to find in music stores and they are usually very expensive when they are available. Thus, I was surprised to see it there in a clearance bin.

AH, OK, I get it. The first score I ever bought was Beethoven 9, and it was a mini score. I couldn't read the damn thing even with my best reading glasses, so I tossed it and got a big one. All I get are big ones now. Scores are hard enough without making them invisible too!   :D

Damn, I can't imagine a score like that to follow along to. Holy crap!  :o

Cheers,
8)

Ken B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 20, 2014, 05:07:56 PM

Damn, I can't imagine a score like that to follow along to. Holy crap!  :o

This is what astounds me about Kleiber. He said he hated conducting. How in gods name does one become a conductor if one hates it? It's such a specialized skill.

Daverz

Quote from: EigenUser on July 20, 2014, 04:15:09 PM

"The Flatulent"

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 19, 2014, 05:09:47 AM

8)

Their Harmoniemesse here below may possibly be my favorite:

[asin]B007AR7QZI[/asin]
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on July 21, 2014, 10:12:41 AM
Their Harmoniemesse here below may possibly be my favorite:

[asin]B007AR7QZI[/asin]

I like the looks of that set, Karl!

I have the mass, in this version:

[asin]B000001TYT[/asin]

I agree, it's a peach. The wind band is first rate, nicely recorded too. :)

8)

EigenUser

My friend came over today to play music. Usually we play stuff four two pianos or violin and piano (we both play both), but we wanted to play music for two violins and all I had were the Bartok 44 violin duets. So, I pulled out a violin and viola part from Haydn's "Symphony No. 2" and we played it as a duet! I have a viola, but I need to get it repaired (I haven't played it in a while, and the bridge is so warped that looks like it is going to snap if I even breath near it). Pretty much all of the viola part is in a violin range, so it was possible. And it worked! It actually sounded nice, plus it was a lot of fun.

kishnevi

For the next time you might to check out

On the assumption that Michael qualifies as a member of the Haushold.
There are other recordings but that is the one I have.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: EigenUser on July 23, 2014, 05:59:52 PM
My friend came over today to play music. Usually we play stuff four two pianos or violin and piano (we both play both), but we wanted to play music for two violins and all I had were the Bartok 44 violin duets. So, I pulled out a violin and viola part from Haydn's "Symphony No. 2" and we played it as a duet! I have a viola, but I need to get it repaired (I haven't played it in a while, and the bridge is so warped that looks like it is going to snap if I even breath near it). Pretty much all of the viola part is in a violin range, so it was possible. And it worked! It actually sounded nice, plus it was a lot of fun.

That's cool! Wish I was a musician. I can play the hell out of a CD though. :)

[asin]B000M2DJTA[/asin]

These are for 2 violins and cello, but the cello only plays a continuo which can be dispensed with for your purposes. They are excellent!

These

[asin]B00BI8SDY8[/asin]

work nice when you get your viola fixed. You can even get the score:

[asin]B003AD0ENC[/asin]

Just a thought... :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on July 23, 2014, 07:36:07 PM
For the next time you might to check out

On the assumption that Michael qualifies as a member of the Haushold.
There are other recordings but that is the one I have.

Yes and yes!  :)

8)