Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

torut

This might be interesting. I would love to hear it actually played.

A Chronological Survey of Haydn's Symphonic Opening Sonorities
for chamber orchestra
Joseph Haydn / Erik Carlson
http://midnightsledding.com/carlson/HaydnSurvey.pdf

EigenUser

Quote from: torut on July 31, 2014, 11:52:49 PM
This might be interesting. I would love to hear it actually played.

A Chronological Survey of Haydn's Symphonic Opening Sonorities
for chamber orchestra
Joseph Haydn / Erik Carlson
http://midnightsledding.com/carlson/HaydnSurvey.pdf
That's hilarious!

Also, it makes me realize just how screwed up the numbering is. ???
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Gurn Blanston

:D  Most interesting. I was pleased to see it scored for full orchestra, rather than a piano reduction.... ;)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mandryka

Anyine heard this? What's it like?

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mandryka on August 02, 2014, 12:10:05 PM
Anyine heard this? What's it like?

No, hadn't heard it; hadn't heard of it!

But since he is playing on a 1794 Broadwood, the piano these were written to be played on, I found it hard to refuse, so it is on its way to me. Thanks for pointing out.

[asin]B0000D8V0B[/asin]

At the same time I went ahead and ordered this new release which promises to be a peach, too. Little bit earlier repertoire, with the addition of the f minor variations, and the interesting feature of the player improvising a chromatic prelude between pieces, a very authentic manner of the times.

[asin]B00KH6JLFM[/asin]

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mandryka

I may get it too -- it's cheap to download. I noticed that he's also recorded the some Kenner und Liebhaber pieces -- he's a CPEB expert so that's something I'll get for sure.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mandryka on August 02, 2014, 01:27:20 PM
I may get it too -- it's cheap to download. I noticed that he's also recorded the some Kenner und Liebhaber pieces -- he's a CPEB expert so that's something I'll get for sure.

Yup, saw that too, am mulling it for the nonce. I feel like I have a very productive afternoon now, looking forward to both these disks  (I'm pretty sure I only have fewer than 20 versions of Hob 52.... ::):D

8)

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 02, 2014, 12:40:12 PM
No, hadn't heard it; hadn't heard of it!

But since he is playing on a 1794 Broadwood, the piano these were written to be played on, I found it hard to refuse, so it is on its way to me. Thanks for pointing out.

[asin]B0000D8V0B[/asin]

At the same time I went ahead and ordered this new release which promises to be a peach, too. Little bit earlier repertoire, with the addition of the f minor variations, and the interesting feature of the player improvising a chromatic prelude between pieces, a very authentic manner of the times.

[asin]B00KH6JLFM[/asin]

8)
don't tell me Papa has gone to the dogs!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 02, 2014, 01:31:33 PM
don't tell me Papa has gone to the dogs!

:D  I must admit, that  one brought me up short. An ultra-talented Cocker Spaniel, I think.  ;)

8)

Ken B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 02, 2014, 01:30:23 PM
Yup, saw that too, am mulling it for the nonce. I feel like I have a very productive afternoon now, looking forward to both these disks  (I'm pretty sure I only have fewer than 20 versions of Hob 52.... ::):D

8)

The Iron Law of Music is that the recording you want is always the next one.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on August 02, 2014, 01:37:13 PM
The Iron Law of Music is that the recording you want is always the next one.

And I am nothing if not a law-following kind of guy... :)

In truth, I have umpteen satisfactory versions, well-played. What I look for now is different tonal colors from different instruments. I see Rémy's is an authentic 1794 Broadwood, so it should have a most interesting sound. I take it as given that he can play it just fine. :)

8)

Mookalafalas

I was doing a comparison between Harnoncourt's and Hogwood's Haydn, and then started listening to Abbado's 100-102 symphonies, and then went through all my CDs, culled all the Haydn discs and put them in a (fairly substantial) pile next to my player...I think it's time for a Haydn binge :)
It's all good...

Ken B

Quote from: Baklavaboy on August 03, 2014, 08:24:05 AM
I was doing a comparison between Harnoncourt's and Hogwood's Haydn, and then started listening to Abbado's 100-102 symphonies, and then went through all my CDs, culled all the Haydn discs and put them in a (fairly substantial) pile next to my player...I think it's time for a Haydn binge :)
[asin]B001DSR9PC[/asin]

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Baklavaboy on August 03, 2014, 08:24:05 AM

It's always time for a Haydn Binge. You have to be careful though, I went on one 7 years ago and am still there! :o :o

8)

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 03, 2014, 08:31:11 AM
It's always time for a Haydn Binge. You have to be careful though, I went on one 7 years ago and am still there! :o :o

8)

:laugh: Believe it or not, I am trying to go through this thread. I'm on about page 15.  It's something pleasant to do while listening to the music. The problem is, every time someone praises something, I want to run out and buy it ??? Could be a very expensive thread.

Ken, I have the Brautigam! Hadn't hit it very hard, but I think that will change soon--I need to augment the symphonies with all the other stuff...(Listening to the Staier disc of Haydn Sonatas now, from the DHM box--fantastic!)
It's all good...

Gurn Blanston

Sometimes opera is interesting, even if you aren't an opera fan! Haydn's L'incontro improvviso is such a case. If you know the history of the times you will know what I mean. If you don't know, I try to help out a little bit here. Check out if interested; love to discuss!

The Unexpected Encounter

Thanks,
8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Baklavaboy on August 03, 2014, 08:44:48 AM
:laugh: Believe it or not, I am trying to go through this thread. I'm on about page 15.  It's something pleasant to do while listening to the music. The problem is, every time someone praises something, I want to run out and buy it ??? Could be a very expensive thread.

Ken, I have the Brautigam! Hadn't hit it very hard, but I think that will change soon--I need to augment the symphonies with all the other stuff...(Listening to the Staier disc of Haydn Sonatas now, from the DHM box--fantastic!)

Obviously a man of highly refined taste. :)

My blog is far less provocative in the 'buy me' sections, since I only point out a choice you could make as opposed to a series of purchases you must make. And hopefully, some interesting background besides. :)

8)

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 03, 2014, 09:27:15 AM
Obviously a man of highly refined taste. :)

My blog is far less provocative in the 'buy me' sections, since I only point out a choice you could make as opposed to a series of purchases you must make. And hopefully, some interesting background besides. :)

8)

I look forward to reading it. (Although it will be a couple of weeks before I can start.) I LIVED in the 18th century for a couple of years when working on my dissertation in 18th century British Lit--Boswell and Johnson--but haven't come back to it much since then, as far as the written word goes.
It's all good...

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Baklavaboy on August 03, 2014, 04:57:17 PM
  I look forward to reading it. (Although it will be a couple of weeks before I can start.) I LIVED in the 18th century for a couple of years when working on my dissertation in 18th century British Lit--Boswell and Johnson--but haven't come back to it much since then, as far as the written word goes.

Ah! Well, that's the way to do it. Total immersion! I am getting a touch of 18th century lit doing this, although not much British yet. French though...  :P  It is broadening my horizons though , and I am always  pleased when that happens. In any case, I always welcome feedback and discussion, so whenever you're ready...  :)

8)

TheGSMoeller

Hey, Gurn..

I noticed you were listening to Harnoncourt's recording of Die Jahreszeiten, how would you compare it to Gardiner, Jacobs and Kuijken? I really do enjoy all three, as they all bring their own unique sound and interpretation, but I do spin Jacobs the most. Jacobs' really possess the best sound quality which clearly defines all the great lines from the score, and it's a great performance as well although I do prefer some of the broader tempi in many places that Gardiner and Kuijken deliver. 

Do you have the Jacobs' disc, Gurn?