Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

God rest his soul.  I hope the angels are playing Mozart for him.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

springrite

Quote from: karlhenning on August 11, 2014, 06:40:28 AM
God rest his soul.  I hope the angels are playing Mozart for him.
I hope so because Wagner, which he prefers, is played in the other place...
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Karl Henning

Quote from: springrite on August 11, 2014, 06:41:48 AM

8)

I think that in heaven, he will find he actually likes Mozart . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

springrite

Quote from: karlhenning on August 11, 2014, 06:43:50 AM
8)

Well, it just kind of goes with the ambience.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

EigenUser

Quote from: springrite on August 11, 2014, 06:48:46 AM
Well, it just kind of goes with the ambience.
What about Debussy's Sirenes from the Trois Nocturnes??
Beethoven's Op. 133 -- A fugue so bad that even Beethoven himself called it "Grosse".

Florestan

Quote from: springrite on August 11, 2014, 06:41:48 AM

Quote from: karlhenning on August 11, 2014, 06:43:50 AM
8)

The apokatastasis will reunite the three of them.  :D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Karl Henning

Quote from: Florestan on August 11, 2014, 06:53:22 AM
The apokatastasis will reunite the three of them.  :D

:)

Aye, I consider a dislike of Mozart to be an unfortunate side-effect of our fallen nature  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

Quote from: karlhenning on August 11, 2014, 06:57:51 AM
:)

Aye, I consider a dislike of Mozart to be an unfortunate side-effect of our fallen nature  8)

Excellent! No, I really mean it, excellent one!  8) 8) 8)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: orfeo on August 11, 2014, 06:22:44 AM
My Kuijken symphonies arrived today. No.82 has been keeping me company several times.

I didn't even notice the harpsichord continuo until the second movement. I thought "hang on, that's what causes raging debates about authenticity?". Of course there might be other recordings where it's a good deal less subtle, but so far it isn't upsetting me in the slightest even though I've not encountered it before.

:)  That's been my feeling all along. It's different, a little bit, but certainly not a deal killer.  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: springrite on August 11, 2014, 06:31:56 AM
:(
Yes, we know. He was a good friend and a very much misunderstood soul, with a very good core that few got to know.

I meant no disrespect, springrite. Please see PM. :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Gurn Blanston

Seems like in pursuing our interest in newest recordings (and I'm all for that!) we sometimes let older ones slip through the cracks. These are from late '80's early '90's. I have seen very few (if any) mentions of this artist in these pages:

but I got this disk today, my 8th in her cycle, and like the previous 7 it is very nice indeed! She plays the entire cycle on a 1790 Walter reproduction fortepiano, nice sounding, and has a great touch. Of course, Haydn wrote almost all of his keyboard works for women, and they somehow seem to feel better to me when played by a woman, although I can't imagine how that feminine approach could be accounted for by a composer!  Anyway, the first three disks are on Titanic Records (and no, they haven't gone under!) and the remainder can often be picked up for a song at BRO or AMP. Have a go at one, you might like them. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Cato

If anyone has not visited Gurn's website about Haydn, called Haydnseek  ??? ??? ???, you are missing a treat!

See especially the essays called The Era of Impure Symphonies.  :o :o :o 8) 8) 8)

Great stuff, which will interest you in listening to Haydn's symphonies!
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Cato on August 16, 2014, 02:38:29 PM
If anyone has not visited Gurn's website about Haydn, called Haydnseek  ??? ??? ???, you are missing a treat!

See especially the essays called The Era of Impure Symphonies.  :o :o :o 8) 8) 8)

Great stuff, which will interest you in listening to Haydn's symphonies!

Thank you kindly, Mr. Cato. We at Da Haus are aiming for eventual world domination, so every blurb helps! Bwa-ha-ha!   >:D

8)

Gurn Blanston

I'm rapidly becoming familiar with some things I never was before. This essay looks at how Hanswurst Singspiel arose from Italian Commedia dell'arte, and what that has to do with Haydn. Who knew? :) Check it out, if you will. There are some symphonies there too!

Hanswurst, you naughty boy!

8)

Mookalafalas

This big boy finally rolled in from Germany ;D ;D 
[asin] B001FY7BFC[/asin]
The sound is wonderful, and the performances in the disks I've played so far seem very good. I'm listening to the Piano Concerto disk now--all names I don't know, but I like what I hear.  I'm also about 1/4 of the way through the Calvin Stapert.  It is pleasant reading, with an agreeable, professorial tone that makes up for in enthusiasm what it lacks in style (I don't mean he is in any way a bad writer, but it's an academic book, with pedagogical rather than literary aims).  It's raining out, and I have many hours of (paid) proofreading to do, so it is very nice to sit in my study, listen to the disks, and poor red ink over some pretty miserable graduate papers...

Edit: The recording quality of the Buchberger SQs is stellar.  I won't pretend to know enough to judge their playing ability in comparison with others, but if I close my eyes it's like they are in the room with me.  I could listen to this all day (and just might!!)
It's all good...

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Baklavaboy on August 17, 2014, 11:30:33 PM
This big boy finally rolled in from Germany ;D ;D 
[asin] B001FY7BFC[/asin]
The sound is wonderful, and the performances in the disks I've played so far seem very good. I'm listening to the Piano Concerto disk now--all names I don't know, but I like what I hear.  I'm also about 1/4 of the way through the Calvin Stapert.  It is pleasant reading, with an agreeable, professorial tone that makes up for in enthusiasm what it lacks in style (I don't mean he is in any way a bad writer, but it's an academic book, with pedagogical rather than literary aims).  It's raining out, and I have many hours of (paid) proofreading to do, so it is very nice to sit in my study, listen to the disks, and poor red ink over some pretty miserable graduate papers...

Edit: The recording quality of the Buchberger SQs is stellar.  I won't pretend to know enough to judge their playing ability in comparison with others, but if I close my eyes it's like they are in the room with me.  I could listen to this all day (and just might!!)

Nice purchase!  8)
And I'm a big fan of the Buchberger Quartet's recordings, well at least the 4 individual opus recordings I've heard. A little aggressive, a little playful, a lot of joy. That's how I always heard them. :)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 17, 2014, 09:26:00 AMCheck it out, if you will. There are some symphonies there too!

You say two, but Wiki says there are three versions of 54 (the claimed second version adds another bassoon and timps to the score, the third flute and trumpets):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._54_(Haydn)

I can't find any other source (i.e., liner notes) confirming three instead of two versions. Do you know why the author makes this claim?

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Might it be a quibble over what makes a "version"?  Per your post in WAYLT, Sarge, the addition of an Adagio maestoso introduction argues a distinct version.  If the composition itself be unchanged (my conditional here is purely a matter of discussion, and speculative), would addition of another bassoon and timpani really be another version?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on August 18, 2014, 05:46:46 AM
Might it be a quibble over what makes a "version"?  Per your post in WAYLT, Sarge, the addition of an Adagio maestoso introduction argues a distinct version.  If the composition itself be unchanged (my conditional here is purely a matter of discussion, and speculative), would addition of another bassoon and timpani really be another version?

Good point.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 18, 2014, 05:37:02 AM
You say two, but Wiki says there are three versions of 54 (the claimed second version adds another bassoon and timps to the score, the third flute and trumpets):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symphony_No._54_(Haydn)

I can't find any other source (i.e., liner notes) confirming three instead of two versions. Do you know why the author makes this claim?

Sarge

It is still a point of dispute. Sonja Gerlach, the author of what I call the New Chronology, disputes that the additions were spread out over a 15 year period. She says they were made all at the same time, which would eliminate version #2. The only real difference between 2 & 3  would be the 2nd flute, and Haydn could have added that for a specific outside orchestra, like the monastery where the score was found (Lambach, IIRC). In other words, they didn't just end up with an enhanced version, it may have been re-composed for them because they had the personnel necessary. Robbins-Landon argues for the 'spread out' scenario, but he doesn't support it with any documentation, merely that the symphony was played in London, so he must have redone it then with the 2nd flute. There is no recording I'm aware of using a single flute, with or without the introduction and/or the timpani. So any alleged actual version 2 is merely hinted at. FWIW, Hogwood plays what would be Version 3 for 1776, on the advice of Webster who appears to have accepted Gerlach at face value. That leaves Robbins-Landon sort of twisting in the wind. :-\

8)