Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Florestan

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 06, 2014, 05:45:00 AM
he was an oppressor of the masses and a perpetuator of Class dichotomy.... :)

Lenin fits in the bill a thousand times more.  ;D ;D ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on October 06, 2014, 05:47:17 AM
Lenin fits in the bill a thousand times more.  ;D ;D ;D

True! In the 19th century, a good part of the reason Haydn was reviled culturally is because he served Esterházy. I won't say more since it all sounds like a cliché, but it is nonetheless true.  ::)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

kishnevi

Brian

Haydn Symphonies 1, 39, and 49
Gluck Don Juan (pantomime)

Under the musical direction of Giovanni Antonini, the music project "Haydn2032" was created to realize a vision: to record and perform – in a unique cycle featuring concerts across Europe – all of Joseph Haydn's 107 symphonies by 2032, the 300th anniversary of the composer's birth.
www.haydn2032.com

-

Judging from my listening, this cycle is getting off to a hell of a great start!!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on October 06, 2014, 11:12:17 AM

Haydn Symphonies 1, 39, and 49
Gluck Don Juan (pantomime)

Under the musical direction of Giovanni Antonini, the music project "Haydn2032" was created to realize a vision: to record and perform – in a unique cycle featuring concerts across Europe – all of Joseph Haydn's 107 symphonies by 2032, the 300th anniversary of the composer's birth.
www.haydn2032.com

-

Judging from my listening, this cycle is getting off to a hell of a great start!!

I'm quite looking forward to this; I don't see me waiting for the cycle to complete and then waiting for the box to be released...  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Bogey

Made it on to two threads.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Madiel

Continuing on through the Paris Symphonies, and today I've encountered No.86 for the first time.

The switch from slow introduction to the beginning of the Allegro is extraordinarily cunning. It took a couple of seconds for my brain to register... hang on, we've changed speed!

I can't recall hearing an effect like that in a classical piece any time recently.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Bogey

I wonder what the masses reaction was to this.  Gurn?
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

calyptorhynchus

Re Haydn 2030, ok, I have to ask, 107 symphonies?
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Jo498

104 regular ones + 105 (Sinfonia concertante) + the two pieces often called "A" and "B", or sometimes 107 and 108. Both of the latter are early pieces, one of them had ended up without the horn parts in op.1 or op.2.
106 is an ouverture or single movement or so.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Some years are better suited than others to show just how broad the range of Haydn's symphonic writing could be. This year, we have a pasticcio of operatic overture and dramatic entr'acte juxtaposed against double invertible counterpoint! See what I mean:

My Fair Roxy

Thanks,
8)

kishnevi

Suggests a nickname for 75:  The Banshee.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 11, 2014, 06:52:39 PM
Some years are better suited than others to show just how broad the range of Haydn's symphonic writing could be. This year, we have a pasticcio of operatic overture and dramatic entr'acte juxtaposed against double invertible counterpoint! See what I mean:

My Fair Roxy

Thanks,
8)

Gurn strikes again! Nice write up of three great symphonies.

"Among the symphonies of the last half of the decade, this is easily the best in terms of showing skill in the true art of composition!" you said of No. 70, and I agree, it's one of Haydn's great symphonies.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on October 11, 2014, 07:20:13 PM
Gurn strikes again! Nice write up of three great symphonies.

"Among the symphonies of the last half of the decade, this is easily the best in terms of showing skill in the true art of composition!" you said of No. 70, and I agree, it's one of Haydn's great symphonies.

Thanks, Greg. I'm glad you liked that turn of phrase; I worked at it for a while. When you are looking at so many superb works it becomes difficult to say anything without repeating yourself!  :D

8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 11, 2014, 07:05:30 PM
Suggests a nickname for 75:  The Banshee.

I'm listening to 75 right now but I'm going to skip the Andante...don't want to tempt fate today.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 12, 2014, 06:37:53 AM
I'm listening to 75 right now but I'm going to skip the Andante...don't want to tempt fate today.

Sarge

:D

[but it would still leave you a good month, Sarge!]

8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 12, 2014, 06:41:23 AM
:D

[but it would still leave you a good month, Sarge!]

8)

75 is so good I had to listen to it twice, including the Andante the second time. Worth it, even if it shortens my life  ;D Damn, this is a great symphony.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on October 12, 2014, 07:25:57 AM
75 is so good I had to listen to it twice, including the Andante the second time. Worth it, even if it shortens my life  ;D Damn, this is a great symphony.

Sarge

I agree. I listened to it 3 times yesterday while writing about it and didn't strain a bit. I like that Grave intro, it does indeed put one in mind of the London symphonies. :)

8)

Jo498

I like 75 and also the lighter 63, but 70 has been one of my great favorites since I heard the Rattle recording almost 20 years ago (I bought this disc at Seattle's downtown Tower records in 95 or 96 when I was a visiting student at the U of Washington). It is an extremely concentrated and "systematic" piece. Both the andante and the finale are demonstrations of counterpoint and in addition oscillate between the major and the minor mode. While the andante may be one of the first examples of Haydn's "double variations", the finale is rather unique. Although there are some echos in later pieces with both fugal and "minore" sections, e.g. the finales of #95 and 101, none of them is as severe and rather humorless and no other symphonic finale of a Haydn symphony in a major key starts (and remains for the main part) in the minor.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on October 12, 2014, 07:34:32 AM
I like 75 and also the lighter 63, but 70 has been one of my great favorites since I heard the Rattle recording almost 20 years ago (I bought this disc at Seattle's downtown Tower records in 95 or 96 when I was a visiting student at the U of Washington). It is an extremely concentrated and "systematic" piece. Both the andante and the finale are demonstrations of counterpoint and in addition oscillate between the major and the minor mode. While the andante may be one of the first examples of Haydn's "double variations", the finale is rather unique. Although there are some echos in later pieces with both fugal and "minore" sections, e.g. the finales of #95 and 101, none of them is as severe and rather humorless and no other symphonic finale of a Haydn symphony in a major key starts (and remains for the main part) in the minor.

Indeed so, #70 (and all three of these works) present some unique aspects of Haydn's skill. I like the variations in the Andante because they not only vary mode, they vary style too. The phrases in the major mode are almost galant while those in the minor are somberly stile antico. It is the ability to seamlessly blend these styles which demonstrates the height of art, which is to say, the art is hidden while just the results are left to enjoy.   :)

8)