Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

North Star

Quote from: karlhenning on October 14, 2014, 05:28:16 AM
Reminds me of a joke (or is it?) which I read in (I think) one number of The Reader's Digest from long, long ago:

To most of the world, Yankee means "an American."  But to an American in the South, Yankee means a Northerner;  in the North, Yankee means a New Englander;  in New England, Yankee means a Vermonter;  in Vermont, Yankee means your neighbor who likes sharp cheddar cheese on his apple pie.
:D

Reminds me of this, too.  :laugh:
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mandryka

Quote from: karlhenning on October 14, 2014, 05:28:16 AM
Reminds me of a joke (or is it?) which I read in (I think) one number of The Reader's Digest from long, long ago:

To most of the world, Yankee means "an American."  But to an American in the South, Yankee means a Northerner;  in the North, Yankee means a New Englander;  in New England, Yankee means a Vermonter;  in Vermont, Yankee means your neighbor who likes sharp cheddar cheese on his apple pie.

Interesting. Noone in the UK would ever dream of eating cheddar cheese with apple pie. Cheshire Cheese, yes. Or best of all, Wenslydale.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mandryka on October 14, 2014, 09:18:56 AM
Interesting. Noone in the UK would ever dream of eating cheddar cheese with apple pie. Cheshire Cheese, yes. Or best of all, Wenslydale.

We Vermonters wouldn't either, unless it had maple syrup on top. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Jo498

Cheese? you are crazy. Whipped cream is the proper dairy product to go with any variant of apple pie. With some of them also vanilla ice cream.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on October 14, 2014, 12:16:28 PM
Cheese? you are crazy. Whipped cream is the proper dairy product to go with any variant of apple pie. With some of them also vanilla ice cream.

Clearly you aren't a Vermonter... :D

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Mandryka

Quote from: Jo498 on October 14, 2014, 12:16:28 PM

Le sucré salé est plus sucré que le sucré sucré.

Michel Tournier turns this paradox into a piece of major wisdom, in a wonderful little Christmas tale, part of his Rois Mages series of short stories - where the salé becomes a tear. I don't know if it's in English.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Jo498

No, I a Hessian (but with my head attached) which is a region  (historically rather poor and mostly too cold for grapes/wine) where apples used to be very important, for some kind of hard cider as well.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on October 14, 2014, 12:55:37 PM
No, I a Hessian (but with my head attached) which is a region  (historically rather poor and mostly too cold for grapes/wine) where apples used to be very important, for some kind of hard cider as well.

When I was growing up in Vermont (in the 1950's), there were only 3 things we were known for: dairy products (especially cheese), apples (all kinds, even what are called today 'heirloom' varieties) and maple syrup (was and is the best anywhere, perfect climate for it). So, apple pie with (Cabot) cheddar cheese and maple syrup was a grand slam!  :)

8)

Madiel

Vermont cheese is top notch from my limited experience (last year, a few days in Burlington).
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: orfeo on October 15, 2014, 12:36:34 AM
Vermont cheese is top notch from my limited experience (last year, a few days in Burlington).

My home town. :)

8)

kishnevi

Sammy

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on October 15, 2014, 09:02:31 AM
Is there really a coat factory there?

No.  Burlington started out in Burlington, New Jersey.  I could be wrong, but I think the headquarters remains in New Jersey.

kishnevi

Quote from: Sammy on October 15, 2014, 09:16:35 AM
No.  Burlington started out in Burlington, New Jersey.  I could be wrong, but I think the headquarters remains in New Jersey.

Goes looking online....
Website refers to Southern NJ.   
Truth to tell,  I don't particularly like their stores (always a mess when I've gone in to look), and my sense of propriety tells me New Jersey is far more appropriate for them than Vermont.

Karl Henning

Like "Springfield," there's a Burlington in many a state (Mass. being one).
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on October 15, 2014, 09:37:05 AM
Like "Springfield," there's a Burlington in many a state (Mass. being one).

Illinois and North Carolina too. It's a good old Anglo-Saxon sort of a name.  :)

8)

Karl Henning

We did pick up some local maple cream while in the Kaatskills, but I've not yet performed a taste test.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Daverz

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 11, 2014, 06:52:39 PM
Some years are better suited than others to show just how broad the range of Haydn's symphonic writing could be. This year, we have a pasticcio of operatic overture and dramatic entr'acte juxtaposed against double invertible counterpoint! See what I mean:

My Fair Roxy

Thanks,
8)

Really enjoying this series, thanks.  75 is a real beauty.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Daverz on October 15, 2014, 03:19:25 PM
Really enjoying this series, thanks.  75 is a real beauty.

Thank you kindly, Dave. You're right, 75 is an unheralded peach. :)

8)

Madiel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on October 15, 2014, 04:14:32 AM
My home town. :)

8)

If I'd known I could have dropped by the family home!

Cycling along Lake Champlain was bliss.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: orfeo on October 17, 2014, 02:41:20 AM
If I'd known I could have dropped by the family home!

Cycling along Lake Champlain was bliss.

Lovely indeed. That is a nice place to be from, quite honestly. :)

8)