Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Listener

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 21, 2014, 07:47:40 AM
I can be tragically overemotional, as you all know, flying off the handle at the slightest provocation. And the provocation provided by slight of symphonies 76-81 provides a bit of fodder for this week's essay. Not only are recordings thin on the ground, it was even hard to find reference material! :o  But I dug up a few items, hope you enjoy them.

The real London Symphonies!?!

Thanks for the informative essay.  I await another essay on 79-81.

The Adam Fischer recordings remain my favorites for 76-78.  And I do like those symphonies very much.

There are Hogwood / AAM performances of 79 and 81 on Youtube:

79: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17cUF3RSyZc

81: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUqwuLDQRmw

Audio quality is not the best but quite listenable for me.  I like both performances.

A word of praise for the Orpheus CO recordings.  Those were the first recordings I got for 77-81 and I still enjoy them.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Old Listener on December 21, 2014, 10:21:31 AM
Thanks for the informative essay.  I await another essay on 79-81.

The Adam Fischer recordings remain my favorites for 76-78.  And I do like those symphonies very much.

There are Hogwood / AAM performances of 79 and 81 on Youtube:

79: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17cUF3RSyZc

81: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DUqwuLDQRmw

Audio quality is not the best but quite listenable for me.  I like both performances.

A word of praise for the Orpheus CO recordings.  Those were the first recordings I got for 77-81 and I still enjoy them.

Thanks for reading! Also for the links. I heard rumors of the existence of video versions but hadn't run across them. It also reinforces my wonderment that since they are in the repertoire, the Band never got them down on CD. WTF?  ???

I also learned these courtesy of the Orpheus. It's true, there are recordings, and some good ones. But they are either in complete cycles and recorded by default or the rare one-off like Orpheus. And none of them are on period instruments, not on CD at least. Freiburg Baroque does a fine #80 though. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Dancing Divertimentian

I can be tragically overemotional, as you all know, flying off the handle at the slightest provocation.

Take heart: someone's got your back:

"Often, when struggling against obstacles of every sort which oppose my labors; often, when the powers of mind and body weakened, and it was difficult for me to continue in the course I had entered on, a secret voice whispered to me: 'There are so few happy and contented peoples down here below; grief and sorrow are always their lot; perhaps your labors will once be a source from which the care-worn, or the man burdened with affairs, can derive a few moments' rest and refreshment'". -- Papa himself. :)

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on December 21, 2014, 07:06:08 PM
Take heart: someone's got your back:

"Often, when struggling against obstacles of every sort which oppose my labors; often, when the powers of mind and body weakened, and it was difficult for me to continue in the course I had entered on, a secret voice whispered to me: 'There are so few happy and contented peoples down here below; grief and sorrow are always their lot; perhaps your labors will once be a source from which the care-worn, or the man burdened with affairs, can derive a few moments' rest and refreshment'". -- Papa himself. :)

Damned near philosophical!    0:)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Ken B

I can be tragically overemotional, as you all know, flying off the handle at the slightest provocation.

Well, you did get pretty worked up when someone said Haydn had been an amiable man!

Jo498

With the Notturnos my choice seems to be between Archibudelli (London version with flute/oboe) or Kloeckner's Collegium Classicum (organ?). Is that right? Any preferences between those?
I'll keep the early string trios in mind and maybe try one disc later. They seem somewhat similar in form to the baryton trios, not such a high priori for me now.

I completely agree with you an the others on the symphonies 76-81. Sure, some things will fall by the wayside, but it is hard to understand with these wonderful works did (and 71,74,75 are not half bad either). My favorite of them, #80 has been surprisingly lucky, starting with Scherchen's historical recording. The last one I heard was Jane Glover with modern chamber orchestra, also quite good, the only really disappointing one I remember was Müller-Brühl on Naxos (who ruins the first movement by exaggerated rubati). I do not remember Fischer in 79-81 very well, but I recently listened to his 76-78 and this is one of the best discs in his set, I'd say. With him and Goodman I am quite satisfied in 76-78 (although when Fey gets there I'll probably give him a try and it would certainly be nice to have Hogwood).

I do not have the Orpheus 78 and 79 yet, but their 80 and 81 are top notch; the latter better played than Fischer, IIRC and the disc with 22,63 and 80 is the best of the 4 Orpheus/Haydn discs I have heard. I probably preferred Fischer in 77. The Orpheus can be a little "clinical" at times, compared to the more "juicy" Fischer (at his best).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on December 22, 2014, 06:13:24 AM
Well, you did get pretty worked up when someone said Haydn had been an amiable man!

Well, wouldn't you!   >:(

:D

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on December 22, 2014, 07:46:26 AM
With the Notturnos my choice seems to be between Archibudelli (London version with flute/oboe) or Kloeckner's Collegium Classicum (organ?). Is that right? Any preferences between those?

I actually really do like the Klöcker disk. Yes, it uses an organ positif in place of the liras, but it also uses the clarinet (Naples) version: how could it be otherwise with Klöcker??  The sound of the little organ they use is really complementary to this music. For the London versions, L'Archibudelli is excellent, although Haydn Sinfonietta/Huss is very good too. I like that L'Archibudelli do all 8 of them, most alternative versions only do 6.

This may be the original PI version, I think it is:

Hacker is a well-known flautist, and these are well played also.

QuoteI'll keep the early string trios in mind and maybe try one disc later. They seem somewhat similar in form to the baryton trios, not such a high priority for me now.

I must say though, there is almost no resemblance to the baryton trios, these are much more galant and actually require rather a lot of virtuosity from the 1st fiddle. See if you can stream it from whoever you do that with and I bet you will be surprised.   :)

QuoteI completely agree with you an the others on the symphonies 76-81. Sure, some things will fall by the wayside, but it is hard to understand with these wonderful works did (and 71,74,75 are not half bad either). My favorite of them, #80 has been surprisingly lucky, starting with Scherchen's historical recording. The last one I heard was Jane Glover with modern chamber orchestra, also quite good, the only really disappointing one I remember was Müller-Brühl on Naxos (who ruins the first movement by exaggerated rubati). I do not remember Fischer in 79-81 very well, but I recently listened to his 76-78 and this is one of the best discs in his set, I'd say. With him and Goodman I am quite satisfied in 76-78 (although when Fey gets there I'll probably give him a try and
I do not have the Orpheus 78 and 79 yet, but their 80 and 81 are top notch; the latter better played than Fischer, IIRC and the disc with 22,63 and 80 is the best of the 4 Orpheus/Haydn discs I have heard. I probably preferred Fischer in 77. The Orpheus can be a little "clinical" at times, compared to the more "juicy" Fischer (at his best).

I haven't listened around much outside of the PI world, although I do have Fischer of course, which is who I use in the breach here (for 79 & 81), and the Orpheus (which I need to unpack and re-listen after a dozen years). I used that Glover disk before the Freiburg Baroque #80 came out. It was OK, didn't really light me up, but better than nothing at all certainly.

8)

Ken B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 22, 2014, 07:51:12 AM
Well, wouldn't you!   >:(

:D

8)
Indeed. Haydn was not 'an amiable man'. He was a really amiable man!

*runs for cover*

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on December 22, 2014, 08:46:35 AM
Indeed. Haydn was not 'an amiable man'. He was a really amiable man!

*runs for cover*

Why, I oughtta...  :P

8)

Gurn Blanston

My top PI Haydn disks of 2014. Criteria are - not a re-release, not a collection of composers, period instruments only.

I was surprised to see no string quartet releases in 2014. The several I got were all released in 2013, although not in America, apparently.  :)

Interested to see if you have any other favorites I missed.

8)

PS - On that last one, disk 1 IS a re-release, but disk 2, not so much. Getting disk 2 made it worth buying disk 1 twice!

kishnevi

Well, technically the Festetics box set is a new release, even if the individual discs are not.
Otherwise we apparently need to wait for the London Haydn Quartet to get back into gear.

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 22, 2014, 09:20:59 AM
My top PI Haydn disks of 2014. Criteria are - not a re-release, not a collection of composers, period instruments only.

I was surprised to see no string quartet releases in 2014. The several I got were all released in 2013, although not in America, apparently.  :)

Interested to see if you have any other favorites I missed.

8)

PS - On that last one, disk 1 IS a re-release, but disk 2, not so much. Getting disk 2 made it worth buying disk 1 twice!

No doubt you have selected all the best releases of this year, Gurn; so it's hard to try to add something else.

A disk I loved this year was one called "Ladies First! Opera Arias By Joseph Haydn"; but it doesn't fulfill your requirements: it was released in 2013 and "Combattimento Consort Amsterdam" doesn't play PI (although is a HIP ensemble).

On the contrary and unexpectedly, Herreweghe conducting "The Seasons" was a bit a disappointment.  :(
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 22, 2014, 05:28:55 PM
Well, technically the Festetics box set is a new release, even if the individual discs are not.
Otherwise we apparently need to wait for the London Haydn Quartet to get back into gear.

There were several fine re-releases, like your Brüggen symphonies box too.

I thought the London Haydn Quartet Op 33 was released in June, sine that is when it was released here (I got it the day it came out!). But the rest of the world saw in in October 2013.  Sure hope Opus 50 comes along soon!  :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on December 22, 2014, 05:45:52 PM
No doubt you have selected all the best releases of this year, Gurn; so it's hard to try to add something else.

A disk I loved this year was one called "Ladies First! Opera Arias By Joseph Haydn"; but it doesn't fulfill your requirements: it was released in 2013 and "Combattimento Consort Amsterdam" doesn't play PI (although is a HIP ensemble).

On the contrary and unexpectedly, Herreweghe conducting "The Seasons" was a bit a disappointment.  :(

Oh, sorry to hear that. I haven't got it yet and have been looking forward to it.

I just saw a double disk at Presto by 'Revolutionary Drawing Room'. It is 4 quartets, one each by Haydn (Op 50 #1), Mozart (K465), Ditters and Vanhal. A sort of recreation of the Quartet Party of Michael Kelly. Releasing January 5. I am fond of that group, and also that moment in time. I shall probably have it as my first disk of 2015!

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 22, 2014, 05:28:55 PM

Oh, the other string quartet which came out in USA in 2014 but worldwide in 2013 was Schuppanzigh Vol 3. I sure wanted to include those two disks on my list... :-\

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 22, 2014, 06:17:12 PM
Oh, sorry to hear that. I haven't got it yet and have been looking forward to it.

Anyway, I think this time my opinion is even more subjective than usual because I don't have any specific quibble against Herreweghe. Singers, chorus and orchestra are very good, but ultimately I'm not convinced with the final picture, a bit solemn and excessively stern. I'm sure other people will think other way. 

:)   
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Mandryka

The best new Haydn I've heard this year was a rerelease, the Piano sonatas played by Charles Rosen. The Eybler Quartet's op 33 was my best new find - it was released last year. Finally I've found an op 33 I like.

The Lubimov 7 last words I couldn't get on with, but I don't much care for the music really. My bad taste.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Jo498

I have never heard the 7 last words on piano(forte) as I cannot really imagine that it will work on that instrument. I am quite fascinated by the orchestral, string quartet and choral versions of the piece.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on December 23, 2014, 10:06:28 AM
I have never heard the 7 last words on piano(forte) as I cannot really imagine that it will work on that instrument. I am quite fascinated by the orchestral, string quartet and choral versions of the piece.

There are some excellent versions. Probably the easiest one to find online to try out is Brautigam, but Tuma, Lubimov, Immerseel etc. all have highly interesting versions. There is even a version on clavichord!!  :)

8)