Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Jo498 on February 22, 2015, 08:03:27 AM
What about the Haydn-Trio Eisenstadt (modern Instruments)? Did they record those three?

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 22, 2015, 08:08:45 AM
I asked Sonic Dave that some time ago, since he touts that set frequently, and he said they have a flute too.  :-\

8)

No, they play Hob XV:15-17 with violin, not flute.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 22, 2015, 08:18:17 AM

Sarge

Hard to imagine Dave making a mistake, but your word is law with me Sarge. That's good though, so there are at least 2 versions on the violin then. I listened to the BAT version again this morning, it is so different to hear the flute part on a violin, almost disorienting!

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 22, 2015, 08:24:59 AM
Hard to imagine Dave making a mistake, but your word is law with me Sarge. That's good though, so there are at least 2 versions on the violin then. I listened to the BAT version again this morning, it is so different to hear the flute part on a violin, almost disorienting!

8)

To insure my memory wasn't failing, I'm listening to it now. Definitely violin. And nowhere in the liner notes or on the box is a flautist credited. Maybe Dave was talking about another group.

Sarge

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 22, 2015, 08:32:48 AM
To insure my memory wasn't failing, I'm listening to it now. Definitely violin. And nowhere in the liner notes or on the box is a flautist credited. Maybe Dave was talking about another group.

Sarge

Probably so, I just always associate that box with him because he likes it so much. I did some search and I see that Gordo posted it was on violin also, and so it is becoming clear it is an age-related memory issue on my part. Mea culpa....

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 22, 2015, 08:24:59 AMThat's good though, so there are at least 2 versions on the violin then. I listened to the BAT version again this morning, it is so different to hear the flute part on a violin, almost disorienting!

8)

I've never heard the original, flute, versions. Eisenstadt plays the violin versions and the three Flute Trios weren't included in Trio 1790 box.

Sarge

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 22, 2015, 08:36:44 AM
Probably so, I just always associate that box with him because he likes it so much. I did some search and I see that Gordo posted it was on violin also, and so it is becoming clear it is an age-related memory issue on my part. Mea culpa....

8)

Well, this conversation has been a wonderful pretext to listen to this again:

8)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 22, 2015, 08:39:19 AM
I've never heard the original, flute, versions. Eisenstadt plays the violin versions and the three Flute Trios weren't included in Trio 1790 box.

Sarge

Well, you don't have to go far or pay millions for a very nice version:

Of course, you CAN go far and pay millions, but why would you?  :)

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: sanantonio on February 22, 2015, 08:48:09 AM
Gordo, I forgot I also had that one.

;D

Thanks for the reminder.

Excellent!!!

It's a great disk.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on February 22, 2015, 08:43:07 AM
I have the Christophe Coin recording, and like to hear the flute instead of the violin.  There are only these three, and so many of the other, I prefer the flute. 

[asin]B00COU07P2[/asin]

Which was the original instrumentation?

They both were. "For Flute or Violin"... :-\

Musically, it is said to be contoured for the flute specifically, more idiomatic for flute than violin. I wouldn't know about that, since I play neither.

That Cohen/Coin/ version is very fine. nice to see it re-released. I spent months and many $$$ for it.  :(

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 22, 2015, 08:50:19 AM

8)

Actually, I don't have it. And I need it, as the Camerata Köln is unsurpassable everywhere the flute is involved. Excellent reminder, amigo:) 
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on February 22, 2015, 08:50:53 AM
Excellent!!!

It's a great disk.  :)

Yes it is. It is the one which finally knocked the Concerto Köln from my personal top spot. Not by much though... :)

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 22, 2015, 08:55:34 AM
I spent months and many $$$ for it.  :(

Of course, because in addition you need original covers, crazy Haydinisto!  ;) :D
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on February 22, 2015, 08:56:20 AM
Actually, I don't have it. And I need it, as the Camerata Köln is unsurpassable everywhere the flute is involved. Excellent reminder, amigo:)

Yes, they really are fine in the flute repertoire. Plus, I keep the cpo disk on the shelf with my Trio 1790 disks and they look like they go together. Sort of smooths over the omission of these from the 1790 set.

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on February 22, 2015, 08:59:42 AM
Of course, because in addition you need original covers, crazy Haydinisto!  ;) :D

Si, como no...  :)

8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 22, 2015, 08:50:19 AM

8)

Unbelievably, it ain't available from JPC  :o  Amazon DE doesn't have it either  :(  The Cohen/Coin is available though, and not too expensive.

Sarge

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 22, 2015, 10:43:31 AM
Unbelievably, it ain't available from JPC  :o  Amazon DE doesn't have it either  :(  The Cohen/Coin is available though, and not too expensive.

Sarge

OOP?? Damn!  Too bad, fine disk. However, you won't go wrong with that Cohen/Coin either. I was so used to that being rare and expensive that I reflexively don't rec it!  :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 21, 2015, 01:20:16 PM
It has been quite a while since Haydn wrote any chamber music, with the exception of the Op 33 quartets. I was beginning to wonder. So imagine my delight when I stumbled up on this week's topic, new chamber music! Have a look, if you'd like.

Oh no, not a flute!  :o

Thanks!
8)

Just a bump, lots of welcome discussion today!

8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 22, 2015, 08:08:45 AM
I asked Sonic Dave that some time ago, since he touts that set frequently, and he said they have a flute too.  :-\

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 22, 2015, 08:18:17 AM

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 22, 2015, 08:24:59 AM

Hi Guys - coming in late to this conversation w/ my name coming up about a flute (YES - I still love wind music - ;)) - BUT, if I understand the question concerning the Piano Trios played by Haydn Trio Eisenstadt (8-CD box), the instruments used are piano, violin, & cello - cannot imagine that I would have even mentioned a flute in these recordings (but if Gurn finds an old post, I can't deny the fact - if so, would have been a mistake on my part).

In addition to some Haydn Flute Concertos, the two discs that I own of flute chamber works are shown below and believe have already been discussed - hope that I can now pass GO and not go to JAIL?  ;)  Dave

P.S. I'm doing this quickly so may be missing an important point - we're about to watch the Oscars and Susan has planned a snack dinner in the den (smoke trout, salmon, boiled shrimp, and some hot Greek spinach rolls + a bottle of the bubbly) - we've actually seen all but one of the movies nominated - a FIRST for me! 

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 22, 2015, 03:50:36 PM
Hi Guys - coming in late to this conversation w/ my name coming up about a flute (YES - I still love wind music - ;)) - BUT, if I understand the question concerning the Piano Trios played by Haydn Trio Eisenstadt (8-CD box), the instruments used are piano, violin, & cello - cannot imagine that I would have even mentioned a flute in these recordings (but if Gurn finds an old post, I can't deny the fact - if so, would have been a mistake on my part).

In addition to some Haydn Flute Concertos, the two discs that I own of flute chamber works are shown below and believe have already been discussed - hope that I can now pass GO and not go to JAIL?  ;)  Dave

P.S. I'm doing this quickly so may be missing an important point - we're about to watch the Oscars and Susan has planned a snack dinner in the den (smoke trout, salmon, boiled shrimp, and some hot Greek spinach rolls + a bottle of the bubbly) - we've actually seen all but one of the movies nominated - a FIRST for me! 

No worries, Dave. We've already attributed it to my occasional dementia. Although it is a hard memory to shake, as all the best imagined ones are.   :D

For the 17th year in a row I haven't seen any of the nominated movies. Oh well.... :-\

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 22, 2015, 04:05:59 PM
For the 17th year in a row I haven't seen any of the nominated movies. Oh well.... :-\

I have never considered the Oscars like a guide to watch or not a movie, but this time before the nominations I watched "Boyhood" and it's a true masterpiece.  :)
-- Voltaire