Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on February 22, 2015, 04:41:39 PM
I have never considered the Oscars like a guide to watch or not a movie, but this time before the nominations I watched "Boyhood" and it's a true masterpiece.  :)

About a year after the 2006 awards I saw The Departed because I always liked Marty Scorcese. Can't remember another since then...

I watch movies for escapism, not art.

A good Haydn movie would catch my eye though.... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 22, 2015, 04:05:59 PM
No worries, Dave. We've already attributed it to my occasional dementia. Although it is a hard memory to shake, as all the best imagined ones are.   :D

For the 17th year in a row I haven't seen any of the nominated movies. Oh well.... :-\

Hi Gurn - well, I'm suffering from the same problem - ;)  I'm assuming Haydn could have transcribed any of these piano trios to ones w/ flute and I've not even checked to see if the flute discs posted have the same Hob. numbers? 

I've not watched the Oscars in years except since retirement when I've been able to go out and see these movies - the films up this year are pretty impressive, so enjoying the show (OF COURSE, except for the commercials and its length) - Dave :)

Madiel

I think my new policy will be that a Haydn symphony is required to be part of every Monday morning. Had my first listen to Symphony No.91 this morning and it was a delight, put me in a great mood.

And if I get them all, it'll take 2 years before a repeat is required.

PS I saw Birdman on Saturday and thought it was excellent.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: orfeo on February 22, 2015, 11:32:31 PM
I think my new policy will be that a Haydn symphony is required to be part of every Monday morning. Had my first listen to Symphony No.91 this morning and it was a delight, put me in a great mood.

And if I get them all, it'll take 2 years before a repeat is required.

PS I saw Birdman on Saturday and thought it was excellent.

Works for me. I have a 25 minute drive to work every day, just right. Today: #44  Excellent!  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 22, 2015, 04:56:20 PM
I watch movies for escapism, not art.

I have the same policy in disks, books and movies. I never search for art because art just happens. For instance, "Boyhood" is simply a collection of snapshots of different moments of the life of an ordinary American family; but, I think, it works out, and superbly, as high art.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on February 23, 2015, 04:24:58 AM
I have the same policy in disks, books and movies. I never search for art because art just happens. For instance, "Boyhood" is simply a collection of snapshots of different moments of the life of an ordinary American family; but, I think, it works out, and superbly, as high art.  :)

Yes, that is serendipity of the best kind. I don't expect to duplicate that experience with The Italian Job or Ronin, yet I not only saw them, I sought them out because I knew what they offered. Vulgar pictures that make you want to drink beer, as Balakirev would have it. :)

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 21, 2015, 01:27:34 PM
Yes, sorry, I don't live in real time, you know. I was still back in 1784... :-\

:D

8)

Yes: narrative liberty!  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on February 23, 2015, 07:04:34 AM
Yes: narrative liberty!  :)

Total immersion. Method writing, so to say... :)

8)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Kestrel

I hope this is ok to post this in this thread, I know Gurn will be interested.
The Haydn Society of GB, have raised funds for a Haydn Plaque to be erected in Great Pultney St. London, on the 24th of March this year.
I contributed to the cost also. 

http://haydnsocietyofgb.co.uk/2015/01/haydn-plaque-to-be-unveiled-24-march-2015/

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Kestrel on February 25, 2015, 09:09:42 AM
I hope this is ok to post this in this thread, I know Gurn will be interested.
The Haydn Society of GB, have raised funds for a Haydn Plaque to be erected in Great Pultney St. London, on the 24th of March this year.
I contributed to the cost also. 

http://haydnsocietyofgb.co.uk/2015/01/haydn-plaque-to-be-unveiled-24-march-2015/

Absolutely! Thanks to you. I got my coaster just two days ago.  0:)

The plaque was long overdue, and a gift from our generation to the future Haydnists who visit London.   :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Well, I have been visiting the salons of Vienna, looking for new music. There are some new Lieder by Haydn, and a concerto played ala Hausmusik by that scamp Mozart.  Have a look at what I turned up whilst visiting 1784...

Hausmusik for the big houses

Thanks,
8)

Old Listener

Gurn,  I always feel that I understand a bit more about Haydn's life after reading one of your articles.

Something new I came across today that's going on my shopping list.

[asin]B00R8ILD1W[/asin]

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Old Listener on March 02, 2015, 08:24:06 PM
Gurn,  I always feel that I understand a bit more about Haydn's life after reading one of your articles.

The Hurwitzer gave it a "10" review: "Haydn lovers rejoice."

http://www.classicstoday.com/review/mcgegan-haydn-57-67-68/?search=1
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 03, 2015, 12:07:32 AM
The Hurwitzer gave it a "10" review: "Haydn lovers rejoice."

http://www.classicstoday.com/review/mcgegan-haydn-57-67-68/?search=1

Quote from: Old Listener on March 02, 2015, 08:24:06 PM

[asin]B00R8ILD1W[/asin]

Thanks!

Gurn gives it a 10/10. Not only is it very nicely played, with great sound, but is also a long-awaited contribution to the rarely recorded works of the mid-1770's. An Amazon reviewer was whining because it wasn't London symphonies, something he was already familiar with. If I could find him, I would slap him!    :D

8)

Madiel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 03, 2015, 04:24:07 AM
An Amazon reviewer was whining because it wasn't London symphonies, something he was already familiar with. If I could find him, I would slap him!    :D

Seriously! I just read the review. It even has "Of course, McGegan and his players have already done a number of the later and better-known Haydn symphonies, so I guess it's good to hear them in the less-well-known stuff, too."

Someone who can't quite figure out which parts of their review are about the performance and which parts are about the music being performed.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: orfeo on March 03, 2015, 04:37:11 AM
Seriously! I just read the review. It even has "Of course, McGegan and his players have already done a number of the later and better-known Haydn symphonies, so I guess it's good to hear them in the less-well-known stuff, too."

Someone who can't quite figure out which parts of their review are about the performance and which parts are about the music being performed.

Just the sort of person the record companies love: "There, see? I told you 17 sets of 'London's' weren't enough!'

8)

Jo498

Is this a studio recording? There was one (BBC? Magazine?) disc with McGegan (or was it Kraemer?) with a few live recordings that was decent but not interesting enough for me to keep (partly due to non-ideal live sound, I seem to recall). Fey has comparably recently done a very good #57 but overall those three are certainly far more in need of another good recording than any "London" symphony...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on March 03, 2015, 05:31:38 AM
Is this a studio recording? There was one (BBC? Magazine?) disc with McGegan (or was it Kraemer?) with a few live recordings that was decent but not interesting enough for me to keep (partly due to non-ideal live sound, I seem to recall). Fey has comparably recently done a very good #57 but overall those three are certainly far more in need of another good recording than any "London" symphony...

No, I believe it is live, but you would never know it. There is no audience noise that I can hear, and the acoustic of the venue is great!

McGegan's other CD, with 88, 101 & 104 may have been a culprit in that regard. I seem to recall they left in some applause at the end. Not so on this one though. In any case, with the first one, the playing and sound are so good the applause is hardly an issue. IIRC, it was a Grammy nominee. No indication of greatness, of course, but someone thought so. :)  Especially since they publish on their own little label, not one of the majors who buy awards.

8)

Jo498

Thanks; I was confused, I meant an entirely different (live) disc conducted by Nicholas Kraemer that I found not worth keeping (although I am not sure exactly why). I'll surely keep the new McGegan disc on my wishlist!

Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal