Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 03, 2015, 04:24:07 AM
An Amazon reviewer was whining because it wasn't London symphonies, something he was already familiar with. If I could find him, I would slap him!    :D

Maybe not slap, but this disc, filled with works I don't have, went right onto my wishlist, and their Paris-London selection probably never will.

I vote for them to tackle 79-81 next (I lack 78 too but don't know if they could squeeze it onto the disc). Between McGegan and Antonini there is hope!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Pat B on March 03, 2015, 10:27:26 AM
Maybe not slap, but this disc, filled with works I don't have, went right onto my wishlist, and their Paris-London selection probably never will.

I vote for them to tackle 79-81 next (I lack 78 too but don't know if they could squeeze it onto the disc). Between McGegan and Antonini there is hope!

I second and third that; motion carried!

I also chatted with Paul McCreesh about it, gave him a little nag he needed. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

1785 was one of the most interesting years so far. Lots going on, and names you know! Haydn joins a secret organization! It gets outlawed and he and Mozart are now on the run!!  :o    :D

Ok,  it didn't go quite that far. But it was a near thing, dammit! Check and see;

Yes, but I don't build houses!

Thanks,
8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on March 09, 2015, 05:57:29 AM
A chamber arrangement of the London symphonies, performed on period instruments may not appeal to everyone; but I like it.

[asin]B00009NOX2[/asin]

They planned on recording all of them on three CDs, but never got beyond the first.

Here a 2 other fine disks:
[asin]B000MV98IM[/asin][asin]B0001AEVKY[/asin]

In a perfect world, this would give you all twelve, but alas... :-\

8)

Gurn Blanston

I also have this one by Florilegium, which I got for the cello concertos, but which also expands their Piano/Flute  Sextet versions to include #104.

[asin]B000003UYX[/asin]

So, the symphonies available now, with duplicates struck off, are 93, 94, 98, 99, 100, 101 & 104. It seems to be typical with Haydn to not be able to get anything done...  :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on March 09, 2015, 11:03:54 AM
Thanks for this information; you da' Haydn man.

:)

You're welcome. Must....make....Haydnistos....happy. :D

Not to push my luck, but this little gem has yet another performance of #94, and just a whole lot of excellent late Haydn.

[asin]B004I65DP4[/asin]

Since I play these arrangements in the identical manner as on this disk, that is, mixed up with other songs and chamber music, I was delighted to find how nicely this matched my own tastes. Cheap at twice the price!  :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on March 11, 2015, 04:56:41 AM
I am sure this is not new information for the Haus, but I've been listening to a nice recording from Monica Huggett:

[asin]B00004SVIA[/asin]

Aside from the use of "Gypsies" (Romani or Roma would have been preferred), a totally enjoyable listening experience.

They are just being authentic. No one in the whole world, including themselves, called the Roms anything but Gipsies until recent times. That said, Haydn grew up hearing their music (Croats, actually, were a large part of the local population) and he incorporated some of their style into his best music. I have seen that disk, having all the Haydn music on it otherwise I held off buying it. Don't make me regret it!   :D

8)

jlaurson

Quote from: jlaurson on March 11, 2015, 06:48:23 AM
This might be of interest to Sarge and other Hobbit-Haydn fans.

The Hobbit is about to be driven out of the Shire!

(Albeit in German)

Heidelberger Sinfoniker sind in ihrer Existenz gefährdet

Heidelberger Orchester muss ohne Chefdirigent Thomas Fey durchs Jahr kommen - Keine Erwähnung im Haushaltsentwurf der Stadt

Well, not quite. The Hobbit fell and is recovering. The Symphony gets no money... and the Haydn recordings fell through even earlier: http://www.rnz.de/kultur-tipps/kultur-regional_artikel,-Aus-fuer-Haydn-_arid,3263.html

Apparently didn't sell well enough, so Hanssler nixed them. Bit short-sighted, it seems... though obviously I was not part of the negotiations. Hard to figure out who was being boneheaded. But wouldn't the label have had incentive to get to the finishing line? How are they going to market an incomplete Haydn Symphony Cycle?

Apparently Frieder Bernius will perform (and record?) some of the remaining symphonies while Fey is recovering from his fall... if it isn't Fey, I find that to be a very good choice, on paper.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: jlaurson on March 11, 2015, 07:02:56 AM
Well, not quite. The Hobbit fell and is recovering. The Symphony gets no money... and the Haydn recordings fell through even earlier: http://www.rnz.de/kultur-tipps/kultur-regional_artikel,-Aus-fuer-Haydn-_arid,3263.html

Apparently didn't sell well enough, so Hanssler nixed them. Bit short-sighted, it seems... though obviously I was not part of the negotiations. Hard to figure out who was being boneheaded. But wouldn't the label have had incentive to get to the finishing line? How are they going to market an incomplete Haydn Symphony Cycle?

Apparently Frieder Bernius will perform (and record?) some of the remaining symphonies while Fey is recovering from his fall... if it isn't Fey, I find that to be a very good choice, on paper.

As you say, yet another short-sighted business decision by a record label. I wonder now, exactly how many 'incomplete' Haydn cycles there are out there, symphony and otherwise?  Dreadful behavior, even though I personally don't care as much about it as I did Hogwood and Goodman... :-\

8)

Jo498

That would really be a pity. I had thought that the power of Haenssler had precisely been that that label is making his money mainly with christian music and the classical division was more a personal love of the founder, CEO or whatever. Apparently this was not quite true...
I wonder if they were not somewhat naive that with several unfinished Haydn cycles around they would sell enough at single full priced discs (sometimes oddly coupled) appearing over a period of 15+ years.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on March 11, 2015, 08:04:16 AM
That would really be a pity. I had thought that the power of Haenssler had precisely been that that label is making his money mainly with christian music and the classical division was more a personal love of the founder, CEO or whatever. Apparently this was not quite true...
I wonder if they were not somewhat naive that with several unfinished Haydn cycles around they would sell enough at single full priced discs (sometimes oddly coupled) appearing over a period of 15+ years.

I don't know the Hänssler story, but the second part of your post is exactly what my thoughts have been all along. Their disks are full-price point, and to consider selling the 32-34 disks in a full cycle is ambitious at best. I have similar concerns over the Haydn 2032 set by Il Giardino Armonico. 2032 is a long way off!

8)

Jo498

I am not sure about the details but the original Hänssler (the publishing company has merged with others in 2007) is apparently a devout evangelical christian and originally focussed on christian literature and music (therefore Bach). And I think I read once that they made enough money with popular christian stuff (both music and books) that it was not so important whether the classical department was profitable. Maybe this changed after the fusion.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_H%C3%A4nssler_%281927%29
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on March 11, 2015, 08:43:53 AM
Maybe they can just do 79-81 and call it a day.

;)

:D  I'm good with that. I could make them a list; there are a few others in which Hogwood is the only recording available. I wonder if I could be a consultant for them?   :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on March 11, 2015, 09:08:25 AM
I am not sure about the details but the original Hänssler (the publishing company has merged with others in 2007) is apparently a devout evangelical christian and originally focussed on christian literature and music (therefore Bach). And I think I read once that they made enough money with popular christian stuff (both music and books) that it was not so important whether the classical department was profitable. Maybe this changed after the fusion.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friedrich_H%C3%A4nssler_%281927%29

I didn't know those existed outside of USA. :o :o  Good for them if they have anyone subsidizing their Classics!  :)

8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on February 17, 2015, 07:13:08 AM
I noticed something else disturbing on the orchestra's website. Fey didn't conduct the last concert (in November) due to illness. And he isn't conducting the above concert either. If there is something seriously wrong with him, I fear for the Hänssler Haydn cycle.

Sarge

Quote from: jlaurson on March 11, 2015, 06:48:23 AM
This might be of interest to Sarge and other Hobbit-Haydn fans. The Hobbit is about to be driven out of the Shire!

Son of a bitch. I hate when I'm right  :(  Thank you for posting the link to the Rhein-Neckar-Zeitung article, Jens. It explains Fey's absence and why there are so few concerts by the Heidelberger Sinfoniker this year.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 12, 2015, 08:17:51 AM
Son of a bitch. I hate when I'm right  :(  Thank you for posting the link to the Rhein-Neckar-Zeitung article, Jens. It explains Fey's absence and why there are so few concerts by the Heidelberger Sinfoniker this year.

Sarge

There goes any hope of hearing The Hobbit's take on Haydn's 80th, absolute bummer.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 12, 2015, 09:32:11 AM
There goes any hope of hearing The Hobbit's take on Haydn's 80th, absolute bummer.

I know. At least he managed 98 (for you) and 99 (for me) before the plugged was pulled.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 12, 2015, 10:00:48 AM
I know. At least he managed 98 (for you) and 99 (for me) before the plugged was pulled.

Sarge

This is true. It was fun while it lasted.  :)

Karl Henning

A complete "Papa" cycle is perforce a communal (not to say institutional) undertaking.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Old Listener

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 09, 2015, 11:01:11 AM
I also have this one by Florilegium, which I got for the cello concertos, but which also expands their Piano/Flute  Sextet versions to include #104.

[asin]B000003UYX[/asin]

I bought that CD for the cello concertos too.  Still my favorite performances!