Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: North Star on March 23, 2015, 10:23:56 AM
What about personation?  8)

OK, well I try to do that. Working out what it consists in right now, but then...! :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Madiel

Well, I have 23 Haydn symphonies... now neatly organised on iTunes so that each symphony is a separate 'album'... iTunes tells me it's 9 hours and 50 minutes worth.

I'm seriously considering putting it all on shuffle to help me cope with travelling halfway around the world.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: orfeo on March 24, 2015, 06:10:43 AM
Well, I have 23 Haydn symphonies... now neatly organised on iTunes so that each symphony is a separate 'album'... iTunes tells me it's 9 hours and 50 minutes worth.

I'm seriously considering putting it all on shuffle to help me cope with traveling halfway around the world.

Well, I wouldn't travel halfway around the world, but if I did, I can scarcely imagine a better traveling companion than Haydn. He brought me to New York and back last autumn... :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

I'm still so bewildered trying to get a handle on the symphonies, I should be hopeless if I let them shuffle.

Of course, I may be hopeless, there, no matter what . . . in which case the shuffle would do me no actual hurt . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 24, 2015, 06:32:33 AM
Well, I wouldn't travel halfway around the world

Why on earth not, hmm? I mean, if us Antipodeans can visit you...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: orfeo on March 24, 2015, 06:35:32 AM
Why on earth not, hmm? I mean, if us Antipodeans can visit you...

Oh, I'm just a homebody, don't mind me. Generally speaking, I think people travel too much. I would like to visit Australia and Austria though, and play a round of golf in Scotland... :-\  If I could take the train, it would be a clincher!  :D

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on March 24, 2015, 06:34:25 AM
I'm still so bewildered trying to get a handle on the symphonies, I should be hopeless if I let them shuffle.

Of course, I may be hopeless, there, no matter what . . . in which case the shuffle would do me no actual hurt . . . .

Anyone who claims to have all of them perfectly squared away is either lying or supernatural. Throw in the remainder of his work and you can just give it up! :o  :o

8)

Wakefield

Yesterday, I purchased this Norrington set, not usually mentioned here:

Quote from: Gordo on March 24, 2015, 06:47:37 AM
Haydn: Symphonies 99-104
London Classical Players
Roger Norrington
Erato Disques, Veritas x 2

[asin]B003BKF6DW[/asin]

:)

Brisk and abrupt seem Norrington's trademarks.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on March 24, 2015, 06:56:45 AM
Yesterday, I purchased this Norrington set, not usually mentioned here:

Brisk and abrupt seem Norrington's trademarks.  :)

I have the 3 individual disks of those. I agree, they are both those things. Doesn't seem to bother me though; I like a variety of approaches. They do a very nice #100. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on March 24, 2015, 07:11:33 AM
Other than unexpected key shifts within a work from movement to movement, I would think there is a certain interchangeable aspect.  I know this is heretical.

;)

You would think that, until you listened closely and discovered it was hard to find places where A copies B, so to speak. Even in works which are reminiscent in one way or another. As I wrote the other day about #83 in g using a pattern in the first movement which was pioneered the year before by #80 in d, a sort of diffusion of energy by breaking off regularly and playing something mild mannered, the MEANS of doing that; in the d minor by playing a silly little country dance and in the g minor by having the oboe clucking around, are very different. So even when the intention is the same, the means of realizing it aren't interchangeable. And those 2 works are only a year apart. If you play the 2 of them back to back you will see just what I mean (plus, have a nice listen!). :)

8)

Karl Henning

This is what makes Haydn such an especially fascinating and serviceable study for me.  All the work sounds "of a piece," and yet (so far as my humble studies have discerned) he never just "riffs";  he is a master of finding new expression, without the need to reinvent himself for every piece (that would have been a gross anachronism in his epoch, I do realize).  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Yes, and levity becomes the thread.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on March 24, 2015, 09:30:04 AM
If  I remember my music history correctly, wasn't Haydn known for using the same thematic material in various movements?  There was even a term for it.  I hope you know I was being facetious.

:)

Monothematicism. Harrumph...

:D
8)

Justin

Any idea why the Hogwood Haydn box is, according to Amazon, being released next month? It was released a good year or so ago, wasn't it?
Justin

Jo498

Using similar themes in several movements of a multi-movement work is often called "cyclic". The most obvious and famous example may be Berlioz' Symphonie Fantastique with the "idee fixe".
This is actually quite rare in Haydn, and connections, if present, are usually not that obvious. A few examples might be found, one of them is the symphony #46 in b major where a variant of the menuetto theme returns in the finale (and the material of first movement, menuetto and finale is related). Another one where the "cycle" is closed by means of literal quotation of the first movement horn call is the finale of symphony #31 "Hornsignal".
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

The Berlioz is a good example, though it is (as in other matters, which Berlioz himself freely owned) a pointer to Beethoven, the famous recurring motive in the Op.67.

Without in any way detracting from the younger composer's protean originality, "Papa's" occasional (frequent?) motivic economy was quite likely a seminal influence . . . and again, the full extent of "Papa's" potential influence is little understood, because his body of work is so delightfully and blessedly unwieldy.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jo498 on March 25, 2015, 12:07:08 AM
Another one where the "cycle" is closed by means of literal quotation of the first movement horn call is the finale of symphony #31 "Hornsignal".

A wonderful example . . . without at all opposing your point, perhaps a case of the older Suite freshly influencing the younger genre?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Florestan

These days I´ve been listening to Hob XVIII:1, 2, 5, 8 & 10 from the set above.

The musicmaking is of the highest quality, the instrumental balance perfect and the organ is a delight to hear. Highly recommended.

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Jo498

Thanks for the rec, I haven't any of the organ concertos yet (maybe some in the guise of other keyboard instruments).
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Florestan

Quote from: Jo498 on March 26, 2015, 03:16:11 AM
Thanks for the rec, I haven't any of the organ concertos yet (maybe some in the guise of other keyboard instruments).

Actually, they were written specifically for organ and were intended for church service.  :D

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy