Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

The keyboard trios are among my favorite genres, and like you, I have been wating for the last 20 years to finally see some more. This year for sure! Have a look at what I found in 1785.

Piano trio, in all but name!

Thanks for checking it out,

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: sanantonio on March 30, 2015, 11:46:47 AM
Is there a preferred box of the complete masses?  I've been delving into this one which was recently issued as a digital purchase:

Hi Sanantone - although I've been listening to Haydn for decades and he's the number 2 composer for CDs that I own (JS Bach first), I came into his sacred music & oratorios more recently (i.e. last decade or so) - currently own the 'complete' box below and the other two partial collections - I believe that many here have been happy w/ the Naxos offering, and available at the good price - Dave :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 30, 2015, 12:05:26 PM

Quote from: sanantonio on March 30, 2015, 11:46:47 AM
Is there a preferred box of the complete masses?  I've been delving into this one which was recently issued as a digital purchase:

I haven't seen before the box you showed, but I have all of those as singles. Nice to have, but wouldn't be my first choice.

One of the ones Dave pictured, the Naxos box, is the one to have if you're having only one. It is very (nearly) complete, lacking some of the smaller sacred works (but then, only Hickox and Weil between them have those), excellent performances and (is/was?) a really nice price too. 0:)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on March 30, 2015, 12:29:07 PM
I have the Trinity Choir box, but was just wondering about the opinions on Gardiner.  I'm listening on Spotify.  The Weil looks interesting as well, I like his symphony box.

Thanks for the feedback.

:)

Oh, I like Gardiner OK. Sort of a 'big church' kind of performance, which of course these weren't written for. Like Hickox in that way. Weil is excellent too, but that box is just the last 6, like Gardiner's, not  Complete Masses. Weil has  a nearly complete masses box, but it has licensing issues outside of the Benelux Countries. Brilliant licensed it for distribution there. It also has the earlier masses and some smaller works, like Salve Regina's that are hard to get, also the a capella mass, Sunt bona mixta mala, which is hard to get otherwise. I like the earlier stuff better than the 6 Great Masses, but hey, that's just me...   0:)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: sanantonio on March 30, 2015, 01:16:35 PM
The Gardiner calls itself "complete" and while it may not have every mass you describe (I haven't checked) it is more than the six masses.  But, I think I am fine with the Naxos box.

The ones that Dave pictured above, which I also have, contain the 6 masses & the motet Insanae et vanae curae, plus the 2nd Te Deum. I was not aware of Gardiner doing more than that, if he did, I would love to have that too! I'll check out that box and see how it adds up. Sometimes being a completist is a small burden to bear...   :D

8)

Gurn Blanston

Ah yes, I see now, the other disks on there, the Preston & Guest disks, they have the earlier works. I was focused on the Gardiner and had a brain fart... :)

8)

The new erato

This 3 CD set is new at mdt.co.uk. £10.42 (+VAT for those inside the EU).

BTW I will be spending a week at Neusiedler this summer, within easy reach of Eisenstadt and Esterhazy....needless to say I will be a Haydn pilgrim for a day or two.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: The new erato on March 30, 2015, 10:15:02 PM

This 3 CD set is new at mdt.co.uk. £0-42 (+VAT for those inside the EU).

BTW I will be spending a week at Neusiedler this summer, within easy reach of Eisenstadt and Esterhazy....needless to say I will be a Haydn pilgrim for a day or two.

Interesting. Haven't seen that before, the only Norrington Haydn I've seen is 6 London Symphonies.

Now, that's cool! I'll trade you a couple days in Texas, in summer, ummm... never mind.    >:D

8)

The new erato

The price should have been £10.42. Now corrected. Now what do you have in midsummer Texas?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: The new erato on March 31, 2015, 05:01:16 AM
The price should have been £10.42. Now corrected. Now what do you have in midsummer Texas?

Heat. It would have been a bad trade, I withdrew the offer on account of my regard for you. :D

Although, now I consider it, possibly the Northern climes would look so nice when you came home, and isn't that what vacation is all about?   ;)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Happy 283rd birthday to Joseph Haydn today. Delightfully relevant all these years later!  :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Since it will soon disappear on the WAYLT thread, I repost this here so you can perhaps see a version which intrigues you and shop for it.

Posting the DVD in the listening thread is what started this...

Quote from: Gordo on April 03, 2015, 07:14:26 AM
There is not better date, indeed.

One of the greatest compositions in musical history: it's amazing how Haydn faced and succeed the challenge of one meditative movement after another, without never loosing focus and interest.

I must confess I'm totally unable to choose among the different versions/transcriptions, even the keyboard version not directly prepared by Haydn.

I think tonight I will hear the extraordinary interpretation of Brautigam.  :)

Yes, this is so. So many fine versions/transcriptions/realizations, too.

Right now, I am listening to:

But this week I have gone through as many as I have, like these string quartet:

These other oratorios:

These keyboard:

But my new discovery of the season has been this hybrid; String Quartet and mezzo, thus playing the oratorio version for string quartet. Really quite striking.

No better time to enjoy one!

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 03, 2015, 08:09:36 AM
But this week I have gone through as many as I have, like these string quartet:

Do you mean you don't have this one? For heaven's sake!

[asin]B001TN0VP6[/asin]

:D :P
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on April 03, 2015, 08:35:23 AM
Do you mean you don't have this one? For heaven's sake!

[asin]B001TN0VP6[/asin]

:D :P

Oh no, I have that one too. Also Oort on keyboard. This isn't my entire stash, just some highlights!   :D

8)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on April 03, 2015, 08:09:36 AM
Since it will soon disappear on the WAYLT thread, I repost this here so you can perhaps see a version which intrigues you and shop for it.

Posting the DVD in the listening thread is what started this...

Well, that was beautiful, and no surprise in that.  I picked up the DVD at about this season last year (or perhaps the year before . . . I admit, time is apt to get past me) nor do I have any plausible excuse for not having watched before, but this will be a most enjoyable annual Good Friday ritual.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on April 03, 2015, 12:27:30 PM
Well, that was beautiful, and no surprise in that.  I picked up the DVD at about this season last year (or perhaps the year before . . . I admit, time is apt to get past me) nor do I have any plausible excuse for not having watched before, but this will be a most enjoyable annual Good Friday ritual.

Yes, it actually was 2 years ago, I recall discussing with you. Indeed, it IS beautiful, absolutely reeking of authenticity, since after all, it is performed in the original church it was composed for. But in addition, Savall just seems to have the best grip on the music of all my performances.

This is my third annual viewing. Hopefully not my last. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Looking at 1786, I found some of the breadth Haydn's popularity on display. A Pan-Euro phenomenon! I noted a few highlights of the year this week, have a look if you will. :)

For once, the Prince doesn't get the Last Word(s)

Thanks!
8)

SonicMan46

Haydn's Piano Sonatas w/ Ekaterina Derzhavina - new arrival - now for 'complete' sets, I also have Buchbinder on a modern piano, plus Schornsheim & Brautigam on PIs - AND, the Tom Beghin box.

So far, Derzhavina is sounding excellent - what are thoughts of her vs. Buchbinder, who I think also does quite well in these works, i.e. do I need both boxes - which would be your 'go to' collection on a modern piano (and I know others exist which I've not heard)? - Dave :)

Wakefield

http://www.youtube.com/v/awFy-UqbvPI

Haydn: Die Jahreszeiten
Orchestra della Svizzera italiana
Coro della RSI
Choir of the Swiss Radio

Nice, isn't it?
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: Gordo on April 08, 2015, 07:09:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/v/awFy-UqbvPI

Haydn: Die Jahreszeiten
Orchestra della Svizzera italiana
Coro della RSI
Choir of the Swiss Radio

Nice, isn't it?

Well, as a Haydinisto, completist and old fan of Fasolis, I will add this information:

Apparently, this set was just sold together with the Italian magazine "Amadeus" and some copies of that set can be found here and there.

Anyway, currently it's available as FLAC files here:

http://www.music-bazaar.com/classical-music/album/643643/Haydn-Die-Jahreszeiten-%5BFasolis-2000%5D/
-- Voltaire