Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

Voila!
first two discs of this box

[asin]B0017PB29A[/asin]

(I have not heard it)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on May 19, 2015, 08:41:56 AM
Voila!
first two discs of this box

[asin]B0017PB29A[/asin]

(I have not heard it)

Oh, I have seen that box. I didn't notice Asperen's name on it before, thought it was all MI. Well, hell, I guess I'll have to run it down now! Thanks for finding it!

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Well, here is something I thought was pretty cool. It settles a complaint I have had for quite a while.

Since I have the other disks in that Warner box that Jo pointed out, I stubbornly went on looking for the original online. Google took me to Amazon.uk, who had it in their marketplace for $18 US delivered price in 'Very Good' condition. I have always liked to buy from Amazon UK, but they never recognized my Amazon US account or anything like that, it was as though I was a complete stranger every time I went there and I usually ended up at MDT or Presto instead. This time, they greeted me like a long last pal, asked me if I wanted to use my regular Amazon account (without Prime, but what the hell) and if I wanted to default my shipping address et al. The whole thing was as easy as buying here! About damn time they start acting like an international company!  :)

8)

PS - the disk(s) will be here the 27th of May.  :)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 19, 2015, 11:47:56 AM
Well, here is something I thought was pretty cool. It settles a complaint I have had for quite a while.

Since I have the other disks in that Warner box that Jo pointed out, I stubbornly went on looking for the original online. Google took me to Amazon.uk, who had it in their marketplace for $18 US delivered price in 'Very Good' condition. I have always liked to buy from Amazon UK, but they never recognized my Amazon US account or anything like that, it was as though I was a complete stranger every time I went there and I usually ended up at MDT or Presto instead. This time, they greeted me like a long last pal, asked me if I wanted to use my regular Amazon account (without Prime, but what the hell) and if I wanted to default my shipping address et al. The whole thing was as easy as buying here! About damn time they start acting like an international company!  :)

8)

PS - the disk(s) will be here the 27th of May.  :)

Cool!  (And Todd told us, when a couple of us were getting the Monteux box from Amazon Japan, the Prime is strictly US Amazon, there's some other protocol for the furriners.)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on May 19, 2015, 11:50:19 AM
Cool!  (And Todd told us, when a couple of us were getting the Monteux box from Amazon Japan, the Prime is strictly US Amazon, there's some other protocol for the furriners.)

Yes, that didn't bother me at all, I didn't really expect 2 day shipping from (Germany actually) England! I was just glad they recognized my already established account so I didn't have to do it again, elsewhere. :)

8)

Jo498

I am actually tempted by the trio box. I have the last disk with the Trio Fontenay but wasn't even aware of the (Erato) Manze/Ter Linden/Mathot recording and I think the Finnish recording of the flute trios was also well received. I put it on the list...
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Gurn, I am amused by your Amazon travails, because Amazon Australia didn't exist for years, and all it sells now is eBooks. The whole idea of being upset by Amazon treating you as a foreign stranger is... novel.

I don't bother keeping track of how many free download copies I've missed out on for the CDs I've bought from Amazon US. It's just the way it is.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on May 19, 2015, 01:08:26 PM
I am actually tempted by the trio box. I have the last disk with the Trio Fontenay but wasn't even aware of the (Erato) Manze/Ter Linden/Mathot recording and I think the Finnish recording of the flute trios was also well received. I put it on the list...

I can highly recommend it. I have the Erato recording, also the flute trios recordng; it is as good as you've heard, if I didn't have La Gaia Scienza already (and every other available PI recording) I would have it as my main (I have it on Apex, they give it away, really!). I don't have the Fontenay Haydn, but I have their Mendelssohn recording from a few years ago and was very pleased with it. I have no doubt it is good, I just don't have a need for MI in this repertoire when I already have so many PI versions.

There are not nearly so many authentic early trios recordings though; Trio 1790, of course, which is the benchmark, and Gamerith Consort which is amazingly fine despite being totally obscure. I'm really looking forward to this one though, at very worst it is a great collector's edition item, and I don't think Gordo has it... :D

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: orfeo on May 19, 2015, 01:57:25 PM
Gurn, I am amused by your Amazon travails, because Amazon Australia didn't exist for years, and all it sells now is eBooks. The whole idea of being upset by Amazon treating you as a foreign stranger is... novel.

I don't bother keeping track of how many free download copies I've missed out on for the CDs I've bought from Amazon US. It's just the way it is.

Yes, I suppose it is a bit odd, although I hope it doesn't make me look like an Ugly American; it is more naivete dealing with international sales which has me. I was very loathe to do it before, then I tried MDT in Britain with good results which relaxed me a bit. It is just that for some reason I thought since I had an account since 1999 with Amazon, that Amazon UK and any of the other Amazons would just share the data and I would order there just like they were here. It is interesting that you would come here to buy; I nearly always discover new items in Europe and have to wait for them to show up over here, which could take months or more. The London Haydn Quartet Op 33 was out in England and Europe in October of 2012 but not in USA until June of 2013, for example. And that is Hyperion, a well distributed label.

Speaking of Australia, you ave a label there called ABC which has a nice little list I would like to have. Some of them are available here, but for a stout premium. I may nut up one day and do it though. :-\

8)

snyprrr

I listened to my first Haydn since... well?...

It was the 'Lark', by that "Pilz" group we love,... but, I do recall like this Opus much, but, this time, the 'Lark' didn't strike me as the one(s) I liked. Huh. Guess I have to listen to the other five now, phhhhhh. ::)

It did exhibit that sense of "games". though,... that was clearly discernible: The whole thing end abruptly- Haydn's... a funny guy! ;)

Madiel

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 19, 2015, 02:12:05 PM
It is interesting that you would come here to buy; I nearly always discover new items in Europe and have to wait for them to show up over here, which could take months or more.

The glacial pace at which I collect, compared to the GMG average, means "months or more" isn't any bother. Most of what I buy has been out for years.

QuoteSpeaking of Australia, you ave a label there called ABC which has a nice little list I would like to have. Some of them are available here, but for a stout premium. I may nut up one day and do it though. :-\

ABC is the government broadcaster (both TV and radio). They don't tend to make their stuff cheap over here, either. But yes, they are definitely the main game in town when it comes to classical recordings. Including a friend of mine, actually, though her repertoire is unlikely to be your taste... she knows Phillip Glass... why, of all the composers on the planet to have a working relationship with, did it have to be Phillip Glass? *cries*
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: snyprrr on May 19, 2015, 03:13:56 PM
I listened to my first Haydn since... well?...

It was the 'Lark', by that "Pilz" group we love,... but, I do recall like this Opus much, but, this time, the 'Lark' didn't strike me as the one(s) I liked. Huh. Guess I have to listen to the other five now, phhhhhh. ::)

It did exhibit that sense of "games". though,... that was clearly discernible: The whole thing end abruptly- Haydn's... a funny guy!   ;)

Yes, my friend, he is all of that. One of his main attractions, no?   :laugh:

Yes, all of Op 64 is quite fine. It would be hard to pick a favorite. I like that Caspar da Salo 4tet, even though they tend to skip repeats and such. They have a very nice sense of pace and great tone. For .99 cents, it was a best buy for me!  :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: orfeo on May 19, 2015, 03:48:43 PM
The glacial pace at which I collect, compared to the GMG average, means "months or more" isn't any bother. Most of what I buy has been out for years.

And most things I also collect glacially. The only things which I look to be on the cutting edge of are PI Haydn and Mozart. Everythng else comes at whatever speed it comes...

QuoteABC is the government broadcaster (both TV and radio). They don't tend to make their stuff cheap over here, either. But yes, they are definitely the main game in town when it comes to classical recordings. Including a friend of mine, actually, though her repertoire is unlikely to be your taste... she knows Phillip Glass... why, of all the composers on the planet to have a working relationship with, did it have to be Phillip Glass? *cries*

Yes, well, Phillip Glass. I see, hmmmm......  ;)

They have a fortepianist named Geoffrey Lancaster signed on who is really quite excellent, and he has 3 or 4 Haydn disks which I will have. Songs and canzonets, some of the Salomon chamber versions of symphonies, also some keyboard trios. Also a disk of solo sonatas, IIRC. I have him on an old Olympia disk playing, maybe, Dussek? In any case, he is really quite good. So I'll round those up as they come my way.  :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Does anyone know if there is a 7 Last Words keyboard version performed on harpsichord?  I know that at least one has been done (by a Brazilian lady back around 2000 or so), but since it isn't available there is no point in going with that. Can it really be that no one else has recorded it on cembalo?  ???

8) 

Gurn Blanston

I am posting this link here because there is no other place on the forum where hard core PIons congregate regularly. It isn't only Haydn, but it is certainly Haydn, the rest of it is just an amazing labor by this guy, kept up to date (I found a few things I was interested in which were released THIS MONTH!).

A list of all recordings on period instruments

Enjoy!
8)

Pat B

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 20, 2015, 05:07:50 PM
I am posting this link here because there is no other place on the forum where hard core PIons congregate regularly. It isn't only Haydn, but it is certainly Haydn, the rest of it is just an amazing labor by this guy, kept up to date (I found a few things I was interested in which were released THIS MONTH!).

A list of all recordings on period instruments

Enjoy!
8)

Wow! It's nowhere close to all PI recordings -- the stated goal is to cover the repertoire available on PI with minimal duplication, so: no Haydn Symphonies by Tafelmusik or Brüggen -- but still very interesting.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Pat B on May 20, 2015, 09:09:59 PM
Wow! It's nowhere close to all PI recordings -- the stated goal is to cover the repertoire available on PI with minimal duplication, so: no Haydn Symphonies by Tafelmusik or Brüggen -- but still very interesting.

Yes, it appears to be an attempt to allow you to collect whatever music is available by a composer on PI. It even highlights items which would be duplicated if you already had one further up the list. I did more exploring after I posted the link and learned some more about it. This rascal here will eventually break me.... :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

It's funny how some things are just so hard to find information about, while others are overrun with it. And it isn't always the ones you would expect. Anyway, I spent some time this holiday weekend looking at (and listening to!) the symphonies of the year, #88 & 89. Check out what I found, if you'd like.

This guy's toast... um, Tost!

Thanks!
8)

Mandryka

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 25, 2015, 09:58:38 AM
It's funny how some things are just so hard to find information about, while others are overrun with it. And it isn't always the ones you would expect. Anyway, I spent some time this holiday weekend looking at (and listening to!) the symphonies of the year, #88 & 89. Check out what I found, if you'd like.

This guy's toast... um, Tost!

Thanks!
8)

Very amusing. I'll tell you one odd thing, Tost 3 (op 64) is dated 1790.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mandryka on May 25, 2015, 12:56:03 PM

Very amusing. I'll tell you one odd thing, Tost 3 (op 64) is dated 1790.

Well, the odds are that Haydn didn't actually dedicate any of them to Tost. He gave him 54 & 55 to sell for him in Paris, and had some other sort of deal with him on 64, but he never dedicated them (to anyone), Tost did that himself, in a shameless bit of self-promotion. Same with symphonies 88 & 89. (54 & 55 are from 1788, BTW).  :)

8)