Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Bet you didn't know Haydn dedicated his 71st Symphony to me.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jo498

Does anyone happen to know which of Gyrowetz' symphonies was passed as Haydn's? Has it been recorded? (I think there is at least one Gyrowetz disc in the Chandos Mozart contemporaries series)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Madiel

Well, that was a clear sign what my listening for tonight should be. Under my current system I needed to choose between 88, 90, 91 or 92. Number 88 it is.

I listened to no.89 when I was in Paris last month. (AHA! But it's not a "Paris" symphony so my previous statement stands!  :P). I have exactly the Kuijken recording you recommend, but I found the last movement rather disappointing. It seemed to lack the required energy. The rest of it was good, though.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

PS No complaints with Kuijken's rendition of No.88

I'm struck by how often the symphony sounds rustic. There's that trio, of course, but the first and last movements also gave me a pretty strong country dance flavour.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: orfeo on May 26, 2015, 04:08:55 AM
I listened to no.89 when I was in Paris last month....I have exactly the Kuijken recording you recommend, but I found the last movement rather disappointing. It seemed to lack the required energy.

Try to hear Fey or Weil...they provide the energy you're looking for.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Jo498

The most sophisticated thing in Nr. 89 is the first movement. Rosen points out in a few lines in "The classical style" that in the development section the melodies appear almost in the same shape and order as in the exposition but there are lot of modulations and "unstable" harmony (as befits that section) whereas the recapitulation changes the order of themes, splits them up (there are also delightful changes in orchestration) while resolving everything into F major.

Overall it is a somewhat lighter piece compared to its immediate neighbors, which are towering masterworks, but I would not call it slighter than e.g. Nr. 87.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on May 25, 2015, 11:47:37 PM
Does anyone happen to know which of Gyrowetz' symphonies was passed as Haydn's? Has it been recorded? (I think there is at least one Gyrowetz disc in the Chandos Mozart contemporaries series)

No. I am on a Haydn list, and we members have spent the last 6 months trying to find more info. As far as recordings go, the only G major one we can find was written in the 1790's, so too late.  :-\

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: orfeo on May 26, 2015, 04:37:07 AM
PS No complaints with Kuijken's rendition of No.88

I'm struck by how often the symphony sounds rustic. There's that trio, of course, but the first and last movements also gave me a pretty strong country dance flavour.

The minuet/trio is about as rustic as it gets!

The McGegan is a really nice 88; not that it means anything to people at our level of suhfistakayshun, but it won the Grammy that year. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 26, 2015, 04:40:08 AM

Sarge

I read that this is probably Fey's best disk in the series. That's saying a lot, but it's a work that deserves the best! :)

8)

Madiel

People, people... I know it's the GMG way, but extra recordings of Haydn symphonies I already have are pretty low on the priority list when there are over 80 symphonies I don't have any recording of yet.

I nearly bought that Hogwood box when I was in Copenhagen... wasn't sure about the price. Turns out it was probably a good price.

Jo498

I don't know Fey's (neither Kujken's) but I seem to recall that I liked Wolf/Frankfurt and Rattle/Berlin in #89, probably also Brüggen. Even the Naxos (Drahos) is not bad, it's one of the best of the dozen or so Haydn symphonies on Naxos I had in my collection (although they were mostly faut de mieux and were given away later).
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: orfeo on May 26, 2015, 05:07:06 AM
People, people... I know it's the GMG way, but extra recordings of Haydn symphonies I already have are pretty low on the priority list when there are over 80 symphonies I don't have any recording of yet.

I nearly bought that Hogwood box when I was in Copenhagen... wasn't sure about the price. Turns out it was probably a good price.

If I only had one set of everything before Paris, that would be it. :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Camphy on May 17, 2015, 09:26:15 AM
Every week on the Dutch classical radio website, a few recordings (new releases) are made completely available for listening. This week, among others, there's this one:

http://www.radio4.nl/plaatpaal/420/cd-van-de-week-haydn-il-filosofo-il-giardino-armonico

When you posted this a couple weeks ago, I replied that it was going to be released here on 5/25. I just checked Amazon, prepared to pull the trigger, and now they are saying "June 30"!  Damn the luck!  >:(

8)

Jo498

Then you should make getting them a higher priority than another #89. I have only about 1/3 of the Hogwood set and do not quite share the enthusiasm of others (although they are pretty and sometimes very good) but depending on the deal it might be a good way to get the first 75 symphonies.

We had this thread with recs on single symphonies, so I do not want to double this. Because there are so many and about half or more not very well served on discs, it is certainly convenient to get one of the complete (Fischer, Dorati, Russell Davies) or almost complete (Hogwood) boxes.

If one is not too thrifty and/or impatient, I'd rather go for some mix. There are several good options for the Paris and London and by now also for 88-92, I guess you have all/most of those. For the "Sturm&Drang" there is Pinnock or Brüggen as boxes, for the first 25 or so as well as the 70s Goodman on hyperion as single discs. Granted, some might still be hard to find, but for stopgaps there is also Naxos and Fey.

- Blaise Pascal

Mandryka

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 26, 2015, 04:40:08 AM

Sarge

I agree with this, both Weil and Fey. I liked Weil in 88 too, and Brüggen in that one.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Pat B

I hear you -- I have some duplicates in Haydn but I'm trying not to go overboard. Depending on what you have, the Tafelmusik (Weil) minibox might get you some that you don't have plus an alternate 89 (actually all of 82-90), for about $20+sh. I just listened to their 89, and then the finale of Kuijken's which is indeed much more stately.

However, if you're planning on getting the Hogwood set then the Tafelmusik would be all duplicates (assuming you already have 82-90).

[asin]B001U0HB60[/asin]

Madiel

Quote from: Pat B on May 26, 2015, 10:10:55 AM
I hear you -- I have some duplicates in Haydn but I'm trying not to go overboard. Depending on what you have, the Tafelmusik (Weil) minibox might get you some that you don't have plus an alternate 89 (actually all of 82-90), for about $20+sh. I just listened to their 89, and then the finale of Kuijken's which is indeed much more stately.

However, if you're planning on getting the Hogwood set then the Tafelmusik would be all duplicates (assuming you already have 82-90).

[asin]B001U0HB60[/asin]

Thanks. Yes, my collection consists of 82-104.

I'm not against bits of duplication along the way if they happen. It's just that 'fixing' no.89 won't be a high priority.

Really, one bum movement amongst a whole lot of good ones is no great cause for concern. I bought the Mozart string quartets by the Alban Bergs on the strength of pretty-well universal recommendation here and elsewhere. Then when I heard and mentioned one really lousy minuet, people started saying "oh yeah, we know about that".

Brian

Looks like there are 20 Haydn symphonies I have not yet heard: 4, 10, 21-24, 30, 31, 53, 56, 57, 61-63, 68, 71, 74, 76, 77, 102

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on May 28, 2015, 03:29:57 PM
Looks like there are 20 Haydn symphonies I have not yet heard: 4, 10, 21-24, 30, 31, 53, 56, 57, 61-63, 68, 71, 74, 76, 77, 102

Try to hear the Hobbit's 53.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on May 28, 2015, 03:29:57 PM

Some surprises there (31, 56, 57, 68, 76, 77, 102?). Some non-surprises too (the others).  Short of having a complete set, 'the others' aren't just laying around loose. Even 56 & 57 are amazingly rarely recorded outside complete sets. But seriously, 102? And 31?  That's like me saying I have yet to hear Pachelbel's Canon in D. Hard to believe, but true. :)

8)