Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on May 28, 2015, 03:29:57 PM
Looks like there are 20 Haydn symphonies I have not yet heard: 4, 10, 21-24, 30, 31, 53, 56, 57, 61-63, 68, 71, 74, 76, 77, 102
I am not sure if it impresses, depresses, or scares me that someone could know that. I can barely keep track of which Franck symphony I have heard.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Ken B on May 28, 2015, 04:47:39 PM
I am not sure if it impresses, depresses, or scares me that someone could know that. I can barely keep track of which Franck symphony I have heard.

:D

(I was impressed; I couldn't have done the equivalent, I don't think).

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brian

Quote from: Ken B on May 28, 2015, 04:47:39 PM

Hahaha!

I have listening logs of everything I've heard since January 2010. There is always a chance that I heard 102 before then and don't remember hearing it, but as I progressed through the Dennis Russell Davies box I queried my logs to ID the unheard symphonies. So far I've gone from knowing only about 35 to knowing, well, 80. Progress is progress!

There is an element of me trying to save some "best for last" rather than finishing up with obscure early ones.

Gurn!!! Listen to the Jordi Savall "Ostinato" CD and pop your Pachelbel Canon cherry with its purest (!) performance!

Ken B

Quote from: Brian on May 28, 2015, 06:53:22 PM
Hahaha!

I have listening logs of everything I've heard since January 2010. There is always a chance that I heard 102 before then and don't remember hearing it, but as I progressed through the Dennis Russell Davies box I queried my logs to ID the unheard symphonies. So far I've gone from knowing only about 35 to knowing, well, 80. Progress is progress!

There is an element of me trying to save some "best for last" rather than finishing up with obscure early ones.

Gurn!!! Listen to the Jordi Savall "Ostinato" CD and pop your Pachelbel Canon cherry with its purest (!) performance!
Interesting. A couple times I kept reading logs. In the 80s for some years and then starting in 2003 I logged every book I read. Then after 10 years I just stopped. But I did review it for outstanding books and gave a few as gifts. Aside from technical or math or physics books my top picks were

Tales from Ovid Ted Hughes.
Jesus, Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millenium Bart Ehrman.
Fire in the Sky Eric Bergerud
Arguing About Slavery William Lee Miller

Gurn Blanston

That is a reasonable listening plan. although the normal definitions of 'obscure early ones' and 'best for last' etc are sort of skewed with Haydn, since his early works peaked early, just in a stylistically different way than the middle and later ones. There is no gradual ramping up of quality in the way you see with most others, even Mozart.

Well, Savall would be my ideal, no doubt. I wouldn't get a disk for the purpose of hearing that, but if I did get the disk, it would be nice to hear it on there. Savall and I are muy simpatico!

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 29, 2015, 04:39:02 AM
Well, Savall would be my ideal, no doubt. !

Gurn, I think Pinnock is a better choice for a maiden voyage on the Canon and Gigue. Savall is just too damn fast (4:16 vs 5:49). Savall's the Canon for people who hate the Canon  ;D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

A sizeable population!  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 29, 2015, 04:53:33 AM
Gurn, I think Pinnock is a better choice for a maiden voyage on the Canon and Gigue. Savali is just too damn fast (4:16 vs 5:49). Savali's the Canon for people who hate the Canon  ;D

Sarge
oops...guilty?

Nah, I don't hate it, I just needed to listen to it in a fresh, radical way. Probably Gurn does not need that, unless he has (as I suspect) already heard it in a hundred weddings and elevators.

(My parents' wedding music, by the way.)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on May 29, 2015, 05:07:47 AM
oops...guilty?

Nah, I don't hate it, I just needed to listen to it in a fresh, radical way.

Yeah, I get that. Savall is quite startling...blows the dust off the piece.

Sarge

Sergeant Rock

If they played it like Savall, she must've sprinted down the aisle  ;D

Sarge

Gurn Blanston

oops...guilty?

Nah, I don't hate it, I just needed to listen to it in a fresh, radical way. Probably Gurn does not need that, unless he has (as I suspect) already heard it in a hundred weddings and elevators.

Chances are impossibly great that when I finally DO hear it, and know what I'm hearing, I will say 'Ah, so that's Pachelbel!'. Ignorance can be bliss from time to time.

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on May 29, 2015, 04:53:33 AM
Gurn, I think Pinnock is a better choice for a maiden voyage on the Canon and Gigue. Savall is just too damn fast (4:16 vs 5:49). Savall's the Canon for people who hate the Canon  ;D

Sarge

Probably so, Sarge, although maybe if they only heard the balls-to-the-wall version, they wouldn't be tired of it. ?  Nah, probably not. :)

8)

8)

Gurn Blanston

Anyone here who doesn't know that Opus 50 is my favorite Haydn quartet opus just hasn't been here long enough. But that isn't the reason I have to spread it across two essays; there is just a lot of interesting stuff there! So I start off this week, looking at the lead-up, it only touches the surface of the story; As the Estoras World Turns... Check it out!

Opus 50 part 1 - The View from the Top

Thanks!
8)

Mandryka

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on May 31, 2015, 11:27:31 AM
Anyone here who doesn't know that Opus 50 is my favorite Haydn quartet opus just hasn't been here long enough. But that isn't the reason I have to spread it across two essays; there is just a lot of interesting stuff there! So I start off this week, looking at the lead-up, it only touches the surface of the story; As the Estoras World Turns... Check it out!

Opus 50 part 1 - The View from the Top

Thanks!
8)

Looking forward to the rest on op 50. Like you I like these quartets a lot.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mandryka on June 02, 2015, 07:36:27 AM
Looking forward to the rest on op 50. Like you I like these quartets a lot.

Thanks. It's quite a story, I must say.  :)

8)

Karl Henning

Now that my recital is done I look forward to reading!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on June 03, 2015, 06:41:14 AM
Now that my recital is done I look forward to reading!

It looks forward to being read. 0:)

8)

Karl Henning

Hah!

I like a man who doesn't shy from a nice pathetic fallacy!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on June 03, 2015, 06:45:17 AM
Hah!

Upon reading it, it thanked me. A most polite blog.

Listening to Op.50/1 with fresh ears. Thanks, Gurn.

Sarge

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on June 03, 2015, 07:06:00 AM
Upon reading it, it thanked me. A most polite blog.

Listening to Op.50/1 with fresh ears. Thanks, Gurn.

Sarge

Most welcome, Sarge. Auryn's?  :)

Quote from: karlhenning on June 03, 2015, 06:45:17 AM
Hah!

Blogs take on a life of their own, Karl, as I'm sure you know. ;)

8)