Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo498

I think the point is that even normal-length menuets are often somewhat generic and can easily get boring.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Well, if someone can point out an example of a "generic menuet" in Mozart or Haydn, I am happy to consider the case.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Jo498

It's been a while that I listened to them and they are probably better than I recall but I used to find the menuets from Mozart's "Linz" and "Haffner" symphonies, fairly "generic". But they are short, so it's not a problem.

The huge menuets in Haydn's 101 and Mozart's K 387 are anything but generic, though.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Wakefield

Quote from: Gordo on July 08, 2015, 07:01:51 AM
Arriaga: The Complete String Quartets
La Ritirata

[asin]B00IK18PR6[/asin]

AFAIK, this is the first complete recording of these string quartets on period instruments. Happy coincidence because the interpretations and sound quality are truly excellent.  :)

Sometimes, Juan Crisóstomo Arriaga (1806-1826) has been called "the Spanish Mozart", but after hearing these string quartets, he sounds closer to Haydn, I think. :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Florestan

Quote from: Gordo on July 08, 2015, 08:05:00 AM
Sometimes, Juan Crisóstomo Arriaga (1806-1826) has been called "the Spanish Mozart", but after hearing these string quartets, he sounds closer to Haydn, I think. :)

Be it as it may, they are some of the finest string quartets ever penned.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

I have 2 or 3 recordings of the quartets, but none on PI. I reckon it's about time!  Thanks, Gordo!

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Wakefield

Quote from: Florestan on July 08, 2015, 08:13:59 AM
Be it as it may, they are one of the finest string quartets ever penned.

Yes, they are excellent. I used the previous line essentially to call some (deserved) attention over them.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 08, 2015, 08:30:50 AM
I have 2 or 3 recordings of the quartets, but none on PI. I reckon it's about time!  Thanks, Gordo!

8)

Yes! I think this is the first interpretation on PI. Well, there is this disk by the Mosaïques:

... but, apparently, no gut-strings here.  >:(
-- Voltaire

Karl Henning

Quote from: Gordo on July 08, 2015, 08:40:29 AM
... but, apparently, no gut-strings here.  >:(

You're making the cats more nervous than if they saw a Chinese chef with a cleaver . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Wakefield

Quote from: karlhenning on July 08, 2015, 08:48:50 AM
You're making the cats more nervous than if they saw a Chinese chef with a cleaver . . . .

:D ;D :D

Actually, some years ago I and three friends founded an institution called "Cat's Gut Club" ("Club Tripa de Gato" in Spanish)... We have periodical meetings to share some beers and ideas about music... 

8)
-- Voltaire

Harry

Quote from: George on July 05, 2015, 11:09:40 AM
My set arrived and I started listening today.  Uh-oh!

I can't figure out what it is, but there is a noise is, like a "pop" or "click" sound, but it's on my set and two others that I tried from completely different sources. It can be easily heard intermittently throughout the set, but clearly heard on such movements as track 11, CD 01 and track 02, CD 02. 

Can folks who have this set please check and see if you hear the noise and can tell me what it is? It's on Spotify as well.

I have sampled the cd's on which you hear a clicking noise, not on my set I am afraid so its a pressing issue I guess.

I played them through my near field monitors, they are very analytical and if something is wrong you'll hear it, whatever there is that should not be there.
Quote from Manuel, born in Spain, currently working at Fawlty Towers.

" I am from Barcelona, I know nothing.............."

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 08, 2015, 08:30:50 AM

Concerning the Arriaga String Quartets, I own just one recording (shown below) - the Naxos website describes the group below as 'performing on authentic instruments', but there is nothing more offered in the liner notes, so not sure if their instruments are indeed PIs and cannot comment on 'gut strings' - Dave :)

QuoteThe four versatile musicians, Massimo Spadano (1st violin), Mauro Rossi (2nd violin), David Quiggle (viola) and Luigi Piovano (cello), who make up the Camerata Boccherini have a particular interest in performing Baroque and Classical music on authentic instruments. The Camerata Boccherini is a frequent guest at the festivals of Berlin, Paris, Milan, New York, Salzburg, Minori, London, Amsterdam, Vienna, Washington, Boston, Munich, Rome, Madrid, Barcelona, Tokyo, Helsinki and Zurich. Its players perform on authentic Italian instruments.

George

Quote from: Harry's on July 08, 2015, 01:31:00 PM
I have sampled the cd's on which you hear a clicking noise, not on my set I am afraid so its a pressing issue I guess.

I played them through my near field monitors, they are very analytical and if something is wrong you'll hear it, whatever there is that should not be there.

Thanks, Harry.

The label has still not responded to my email either.

I decided to let the amazon third party seller know what was going on and requested a refund. They (86books) refunded my money 4 minutes later and said to keep the set. 
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Karl Henning

Quote from: George on July 08, 2015, 03:40:49 PM
Thanks, Harry.

I decided to let the amazon third party seller know what was going on and requested a refund. They (86books) refunded my money 4 minutes later and said to keep the set. 

Good customer service.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on July 08, 2015, 05:02:13 PM
Good customer service.

My guess would be it isn't the first time they've heard this complaint about it. :-\

Glad Harry happened to pop in.  :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Bogey

Quote from: George on July 08, 2015, 03:40:49 PM
Thanks, Harry.

Let them know in a follow email how impressed we are with their service buddy.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Wakefield

Quote from: SonicMan46 on July 08, 2015, 03:03:58 PM
Concerning the Arriaga String Quartets, I own just one recording (shown below) - the Naxos website describes the group below as 'performing on authentic instruments', but there is nothing more offered in the liner notes, so not sure if their instruments are indeed PIs and cannot comment on 'gut strings' - Dave :)

Yes, the booklet states that they are playing "authentic Italian instruments", but there is something weird here because those instruments (particularly the first violin) sound quite modern to me. Maybe the strings and bows are modern; although I may be wrong.
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on July 09, 2015, 06:35:54 AM
Yes, the booklet states that they are playing "authentic Italian instruments", but there is something weird here because those instruments (particularly the first violin) sound quite modern to me. Maybe the strings and bows are modern; although I may be wrong.

You see this all the time. Joshua Bell, for example, plays an 'authentic Italian instrument", a Strad, in fact. Of course, it has been revised and 'modernized' and has metal strings etc. It is, however, an authentic Italian instrument. I have seen this sort of thing many dozens of times, I've learned it means nothing, really... :-\

8)

Jo498

Is there no thread for Arriaga? It seems a pity to have this buried in a 500+ pages Haydn thread...
- Blaise Pascal

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on July 09, 2015, 07:01:18 AM
You see this all the time. Joshua Bell, for example, plays an 'authentic Italian instrument", a Strad, in fact. Of course, it has been revised and 'modernized' and has metal strings etc. It is, however, an authentic Italian instrument. I have seen this sort of thing many dozens of times, I've learned it means nothing, really... :-\

8)

Actually, IIRC, the booklets of the Buchbergers say (or suggest by describing them) that they play the Haydn quartets on "original instruments".
-- Voltaire