Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

I should think it would feel sort of . .. do-over-ish to me.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mandryka

Quote from: George on August 11, 2015, 02:23:11 PM
I have been noticing that stop-go style as I have listened to his set. I am not sure I like it.

I think you will enjoy Fou Ts'Ong's Haydn then.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: George on August 11, 2015, 02:23:11 PM
I have been noticing that stop-go style as I have listened to his set. I am not sure I like it.

So it is Buchbinder's stop-go style and not Haydn's, which makes sense because I never noticed anything of the sort... ::)

Q

Mandryka

Quote from: Que on August 12, 2015, 09:30:24 AM
So it is Buchbinder's stop-go style and not Haydn's, which makes sense because I never noticed anything of the sort... ::)

Q

You may want to try the andante expressivo of sonata 58, or he adagio e cantabile of sonata 59, or the adagio of sonata 60. That's what I was thinking of when I brought it up as something which seems very Haydnesque; but the only other  classical composers I know are Mozart and Beethoven and Schubert.

Strangely enough you sometimes hear it in Froberger and Frescobaldi, especially when Vartolo plays it. Like propositions being put forward in an argument.

Can you imagine Vartolo's Haydn? 😉
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Que

Quote from: Mandryka on August 12, 2015, 11:42:27 AM
Can you imagine Vartolo's Haydn? 😉

The very thought is too painful.... ???  ;)

Q

Wakefield

Quote from: Que on August 12, 2015, 12:53:25 PM
The very thought is too painful.... ???  ;)

Q

Coincidentally, few minutes ago I was writing something about this in the "listening thread".
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

kishnevi

Halfway through, nothing displeases and much pleases.
Mostly MI, but strings use gut strings and Baroque bows, and conducting is HIP a la Norrington

Gurn Blanston

There's a new lady in Haydn's life, the old dog! And some new publishers too, as well as some old friends. Check out what I discovered about 1789 this week!

Even as Eszterháza fades...

Thanks!
8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brian

Giving the baryton trios a try for the first time!

The booklet notes include the amusing suggestion that you can recognize a Haydn minuet because Haydn minuets all begin with a line that you could sing along to with the words "Are you the O'Reilly who runs this hotel?"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on August 17, 2015, 07:39:33 AM
Giving the baryton trios a try for the first time!

The booklet notes include the amusing suggestion that you can recognize a Haydn minuet because Haydn minuets all begin with a line that you could sing along to with the words "Are you the O'Reilly who runs this hotel?"

:D  OK. Boy, if there is anyone who you shouldn't generalize about like that... :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Brahmsian

New "extra" love for the E flat Symphony No. 84.  What fantastic middle movements!  :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: ChamberNut on August 17, 2015, 01:17:47 PM
New "extra" love for the E flat Symphony No. 84.  What fantastic middle movements!  :)
Huzzah!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Gurn Blanston

No surprise that the 'Paris' Symphonies put Haydn over the top in terms of fame and esteem. It's like a new level of cool. :)

8)

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Brian on August 17, 2015, 07:39:33 AM

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on August 17, 2015, 08:28:44 AM
:D  OK. Boy, if there is anyone who you shouldn't generalize about like that... :)

After reading Brian's post, the first Minuet that literally sprang to mind was the Surprise's and, surprise! the O'Reilly lyrics work  :D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on August 17, 2015, 02:39:18 PM
After reading Brian's post, the first Minuet that literally sprang to mind was the Surprise's and, surprise! the O'Reilly lyrics work  :D

Sarge

:)  We'll have to try it with Boccherini and see if it is a by-product of the form. I would readily admit one, but ALL is a sweeping sort of statement of the kind that always gets one in trouble.  :)

8)

Jo498

This one (and 87) are the most neglected of the "Paris" set and unfairly so. 84 was one of the last of those to be composed (the earliest are 83 and 87) and it is probably because of its overall lyrical and non-spectacular character that it is frequently overlooked. The slow movement is IMO much better than the more famous Romance from 85.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Ray,

Here is what I was thinking about #84 when I covered it a few weeks ago. Not just the middle movements are great either!

More from/for Paris

8)

Gurn Blanston

Symphony #92 may very well be his finest effort. In any case, it marks the end of an era, the world post-1789 was going to change in major ways. Here is his goodbye to the Old Regime.

Doctoral thesis? Why not?

Check it out if you like,
Thanks,
8)

vandermolen

My first ever contribution to this thread I think! Heard Symphony 90 in London last night. It has a really weird fake ending. Everyone applauds and then it starts up again. The conductor (Andris Nelsons) hammed it up by pretending to look for the 'missing music' underneath the score. A very enjoyable symphony even though I went to the concert for the Barber and Shostakovich works.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).