Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

London at last! The sheer volume of incoming data on 'Haydn in England' can overwhelm the intrepid blogger. I did make it through January 1791 though... :)

Solid ground, and none too soon!

Have a look.  :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

kishnevi

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on October 03, 2009, 08:52:30 AM

If you are speaking about Jaap Schröder and the Quartetto Esterházy (Amsterdam) on Seon, I own the disc of the Op. 20 Nos. 2 & 4, my first Haydn on period instruments. That disc was revelatory for me about the relationship between Haydn and HIP performances. Although it was recorded in 1973 the sound is excellent, not just because was entirely remastered (using 20-bit technology), but because Wolf Erichson was (is) a genius.

:)

Going through the SEON box,  I am listening to this.
[asin]B0000029VW[/asin]
Seems to be the only Haydn recording in the SEON catalog.

Gordo's description is 109% accurate.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 07, 2015, 06:28:11 PM
Going through the SEON box,  I am listening to this.
[asin]B0000029VW[/asin]
Seems to be the only Haydn recording in the SEON catalog.

Gordo's description is 109% accurate.

I am also very much taken with that performance. Without doubt my favorite of those 2 works. I think you are right; the sum total of Haydn/SEON... :(

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 07, 2015, 06:33:09 PM
I am also very much taken with that performance. Without doubt my favorite of those 2 works. I think you are right; the sum total of Haydn/SEON... :(

8)

They were very unfair to Papa: a slew of JS Bach, a CD shared by CPE and JS Bach, a double CD of CPE for keyboard, this Haydn, a double CD of Boccherini, then a slew of Mozart ( the box is chronological by composer).....

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 07, 2015, 06:42:10 PM
They were very unfair to Papa: a slew of JS Bach, a CD shared by CPE and JS Bach, a double CD of CPE for keyboard, this Haydn, a double CD of Boccherini, then a slew of Mozart ( the box is chronological by composer).....

Yes, I suppose I have most or all of the Mozart, haven't really broken any speed records getting the balance. Wolf's later project, Vivarte, is far kinder to my personal taste!   :)

8)

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 07, 2015, 06:46:03 PM
Yes, I suppose I have most or all of the Mozart, haven't really broken any speed records getting the balance. Wolf's later project, Vivarte, is far kinder to my personal taste!   :)

8)

Highlights to date...Kuijkens doing Couperin, Leonhardt playing a bunch of JSB for keyboard, the medieval/early Renaissance stuff. The CPE keyboard CDs are pretty good, too...Leonhardt again on several instruments, including at least two fortepianos.

Jo498

One reason is probably that in the early 1970s Haydn was not really considered the domain of a HIP approach. They were still busy enough with music up to Bach and Handel (This does not explain that there are more Mozart recordings from Seon, though.)
A few years later? the Collegium Aureum recorded a bunch of Haydn symphonies and also a complete op.76 (never been on CD).

tbh I was not all that fond of that recording and culled it from my collection; I think it suffers from the "early" HIP malaise of rather raw and scratchy playing. Quatuor Mosaiques may not be the last word in those pieces either but at least they sound quite beautiful
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Camphy

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Camphy on December 08, 2015, 02:11:24 AM
From Hyperion in March:

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/dc.asp?dc=D_CDA68122

Excellent news! They have been touring it, and they recorded it a while ago, but even they didn't know when it was going to be released. I'm delighted, it's my fave!  :)

8)

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mookalafalas

Question for you guys.  I am looking for Badura-Skoda's Haydn Sonatas--the full 5 disc set, not the recent bit on ARCANA, nor the 6 "lost sonatas".  Is it OOP, or does anybody know a reasonably priced way of getting them?
   Thanks in advance!
It's all good...

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 08, 2015, 05:19:04 AM
Question for you guys.  I am looking for Badura-Skoda's Haydn Sonatas--the full 5 disc set, not the recent bit on ARCANA, nor the 6 "lost sonatas".  Is it OOP, or does anybody know a reasonably priced way of getting them?
   Thanks in advance!

I'll tell you, Mookie, if there is, I haven't found it in several years of looking. Every now and then they come up on eBay, but I have been outbid even at $40/disk, which is about the most I would pay, I think. My hope is that Arcana/Naive will release them as a box set like they did the Schubert set.  :-\

8)

Florestan

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 08, 2015, 05:19:04 AM
   Thanks in advance!

I have only 4: 1. Sturm und Drang, 2. Le style galant, 3. La maturite, 4. L´apogee. Which is the 5th, I wonder?

As for getting them, I can play the Santa Claus and... but hush!, PM me for details.  :D

There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Mookalafalas

Quote from: Florestan on December 08, 2015, 05:56:09 AM
I have only 4: 1. Sturm und Drang, 2. Le style galant, 3. La maturite, 4. L´apogee. Which is the 5th, I wonder?

Probably my mistake.  I could swear I saw it listed as five discs, but my memory is shamefully faulty :-[
      Anyway, I'll be lookin' for Santa :-*
It's all good...

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mookalafalas on December 08, 2015, 06:09:00 AM
  Probably my mistake.  I could swear I saw it listed as five discs, but my memory is shamefully faulty :-[
      Anyway, I'll be lookin' for Santa :-*

It's very easy to confuse them because there are also pictured all the LP releases of 3 sonatas each, and there are far more covers of those. I think 4 is correct though, the LP covers don't have names on them (eg - Le style galant).

8)

Camphy

Recently released:

[asin]B015RI5R02[/asin]

To be released in January:

[asin]B018UZN9AO[/asin]

Florestan

Quote from: Camphy on December 09, 2015, 04:33:33 AM
Recently released:

[asin]B015RI5R02[/asin]

[asin]B018UZN9AO[/asin]

I have the Pinnock and Kussmaul discs but these two look enticing as well.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

Recently released:

[asin]B015RI5R02[/asin]

[asin]B018UZN9AO[/asin]

I pre-ordered the first, not released in USA yet. The second isn't listed at Amazon USA yet, but I have been hoping for something from Il Pomo d'Oro that was meant for me, and this looks like it! Thanks for the info, Camphy.   :)

8)

Karl Henning

[asin]B018UZN9AO[/asin]

Goes along with the "violin babes" theme, does it?—a group named Tomato.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: karlhenning on December 09, 2015, 05:32:50 AM
Goes along with the "violin babes" theme, does it?—a group named Tomato.

Actually, I think they are going more for the Golden Apple meaning rather than the more idiomatic one. :)  I wonder what is on this disk. I found it on Amazon UK but with no TOC... :-\

8)