Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 23, 2015, 11:53:15 AM
Yes, but only a couple on her set are on organ. The rest are on harpsichord. Plus, Holzapfel has a correctly sized Viennese Church Trio (2 Violins, Cello and Violone) backing him up, very appropriate. I am very fond of Christine though... :)

8)

Yes! Organ, harpsichord and fortepiano. I love this mess!  :D

P.S.: They play three as organ concertos (Hob. XVIII: 1, 8 & 10), three as harpsichord concertos (2, 3 & 5) and two for the fortepiano (4 & 11).

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on December 23, 2015, 12:16:04 PM
And a very appropriate organ, too.

Well, I wouldn't know that, of course...   :)
Quote from: Gordo on December 23, 2015, 01:27:35 PM
Yes! Organ, harpsichord and fortepiano. I love this mess!  :D

P.S.: They play three as organ concertos (Hob. XVIII: 1, 8 & 10), three as harpsichord concertos (2, 3 & 5) and two for the fortepiano (4 & 11).

I couldn't remember exactly the sequence of them so I avoided specifics.   0:)  Nonetheless, an excellent set. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 23, 2015, 02:49:17 PM
I couldn't remember exactly the sequence of them so I avoided specifics.   0:)  Nonetheless, an excellent set. :)

8)

I was listening to this delightful set just yesterday, and then I refreshed some specifics.

As you, I'm a strong supporter of variety in instrumentation, especially with regards to keyboard music.

What a beautiful, messy and changing age was the second half the XVIII Century in this aspect.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on December 24, 2015, 03:49:32 AM
I was listening to this delightful set just yesterday, and then I refreshed some specifics.

As you, I'm a strong supporter of variety in instrumentation, especially with regards to keyboard music.

What a beautiful, messy and changing age was the second half the XVIII Century in this aspect.  :)

Yes, if you are one who appreciates a variety of tonal colors in your keyboards, there was no finer time than the 18th century to be a music fan. Not only the great variety of types on instruments, but the individuality of each instrument from its brothers caused by the fact that making them was a craft of small, specialized shops rather than assembly line factories. This holds true even today with replicas, and for the same reasons!

As for Schornsheim, her idea of using different instruments for different music was perfect for someone like Haydn, whose keyboard career stretched out over nearly 50 years. Beghin took it to the nth degree, but Schornsheim started it, AFAIK. :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Aside from all the activity on the concert scene, we find Haydn being extraordinarily busy behind the scenes, too. Here is a little I found out this week.

Tip of the iceberg!

Check it out!
Thanks,
8)

Scion7

This thread-topic is over 500 pages - when will it implode?    :)
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Scion7 on December 29, 2015, 11:09:12 AM

No worries, mate. I'll just delete some of those  "X word posts" threads to make some room. ::)  :D

See you have a birthday coming up soon; Happy Birthday!

8)

Scion7

the mighty arms of Atlas ..... hold the heavens thread form the Earth . . .
When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

SonicMan46

Quote from: Scion7 on December 29, 2015, 11:09:12 AM

OH have faith!  Gurn's objective is to match or exceed the known number of Papa Haydn's compositions to the number of pages in this thread - SO, there is a LONG way to go!  :laugh:  Dave

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on December 29, 2015, 04:34:52 PM
OH have faith!  Gurn's objective is to match or exceed the known number of Papa Haydn's compositions to the number of pages in this thread - SO, there is a LONG way to go!  :laugh:  Dave

Mais oui! The only real rule here is all posts must exceed 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 words and be at least 73 letters. Oh, and be about Haydn, of course. One day we will rule the world!   >:D

8)

jlaurson

Straight from the horse's mouth: Paul McCreesh will record an new Haydn "Seasons" with an improved libretto of his own editing/translating.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: jlaurson on December 30, 2015, 02:16:28 PM
Straight from the horse's mouth: Paul McCreesh will record an new Haydn "Seasons" with an improved libretto of his own editing/translating.

Excellent! He wouldn't give anything but vague implications when I asked; my real aim was to get him to consider '7 Last Words' but I don't know... This one will sound great along with his excellent 'Creation' though! Thanks for the good news! :)

8)

Brian

Looks like February will bring a modern-orchestra Naxos CD of the opera overtures. Details still unclear - I'll post 'em if I find 'em.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Brian on December 31, 2015, 01:09:43 PM
Looks like February will bring a modern-orchestra Naxos CD of the opera overtures. Details still unclear - I'll post 'em if I find 'em.

Some good music there, much of it never heard by non-fanatics. I have this one on BIS, right now it is the only one available. They didn't talk about it, but as near as I can tell, at least some of them were premiere recordings. I hope people who don't have this on will get the new one, just to have the music!

8)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on December 31, 2015, 02:06:57 PM
Some good music there, much of it never heard by non-fanatics. I have this one on BIS, right now it is the only one available. They didn't talk about it, but as near as I can tell, at least some of them were premiere recordings. I hope people who don't have this on will get the new one, just to have the music!

8)

The Huss recording is fantastic. I would choose modern over HIP, but the Huss are so good that no other is really needed. But you are right, the music is the main attraction whoever the performers may be.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

mc ukrneal

This is probably for Gurn, but maybe others have a view too. So I am thinking (again) of getting the Haydn Songs on Brilliant - the one below:
[asin]B001UNPLI2[/asin]

At about $40, is it worth getting this do you think? The clips sound good, though I wonder if I will enjoy 18 discs of this stuff. That said, I do enjoy songs in languages I don't understand (so this should be easier in that regard). Of course, I wouldn't sit down to listen to it all in one sitting, probably 1/2-1 disc each time. The reason I am stalling - not sure I will love it for that price. Maybe there is a highlights disc that has the best stuff that would be better? I am also a slow goer with these boxes - took me more than a year with the Loewe box. Schubert took years to go through all the Hyperion Schubert discs. On the other hand, some of the music in these Haydn songs seems quite inspired. I keep waffling - maybe I'm just being cheap?!?! On the other hand, once heard, will I ever listen to them again?

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 02, 2016, 07:34:44 AM
This is probably for Gurn, but maybe others have a view too. So I am thinking (again) of getting the Haydn Songs on Brilliant - the one below:
[asin]B001UNPLI2[/asin]

At about $40, is it worth getting this do you think? The clips sound good, though I wonder if I will enjoy 18 discs of this stuff. That said, I do enjoy songs in languages I don't understand (so this should be easier in that regard). Of course, I wouldn't sit down to listen to it all in one sitting, probably 1/2-1 disc each time. The reason I am stalling - not sure I will love it for that price. Maybe there is a highlights disc that has the best stuff that would be better? I am also a slow goer with these boxes - took me more than a year with the Loewe box. Schubert took years to go through all the Hyperion Schubert discs. On the other hand, some of the music in these Haydn songs seems quite inspired. I keep waffling - maybe I'm just being cheap?!?! On the other hand, once heard, will I ever listen to them again?

Well, enjoying National songs is a purely personal sort of decision. However, if you think you might, this is as good as you can do. the playing and singing (especially) are first rate. I agree that 18 disks is a big handful, even for people who really like them. It is sort of like the Baryton Trios box; a little baryton goes a long way with most folks.

What I did was get a bunch of single disks that have a good assortment on them. It is hard to rec any to you, since they all use fortepiano, but there are certainly some which use modern piano too, I'm sure. Most of them are coupled with the Canzonets, so if you wanted to get 2 or 3 different ones for an assortment, you would probably end up with more than one version of those. Some of my song recitals with fortepiano are among my most treasured disks though, I must say.

BTW, the originals of those Brilliant disks were, like 4 or 5 disks in a box and you could very likely find them available. I would look for one of those.

8)

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 02, 2016, 08:05:58 AM
Well, enjoying National songs is a purely personal sort of decision. However, if you think you might, this is as good as you can do. the playing and singing (especially) are first rate. I agree that 18 disks is a big handful, even for people who really like them. It is sort of like the Baryton Trios box; a little baryton goes a long way with most folks.

What I did was get a bunch of single disks that have a good assortment on them. It is hard to rec any to you, since they all use fortepiano, but there are certainly some which use modern piano too, I'm sure. Most of them are coupled with the Canzonets, so if you wanted to get 2 or 3 different ones for an assortment, you would probably end up with more than one version of those. Some of my song recitals with fortepiano are among my most treasured disks though, I must say.

BTW, the originals of those Brilliant disks were, like 4 or 5 disks in a box and you could very likely find them available. I would look for one of those.

8)
Thanks. I have considered buying smaller volumes within the Brilliant set, but if I ever accumulated much, it would make more sense to go with the whole set, which is at pretty good price. It's a good deal at $2 a disc. I'll let you know how it goes!

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 02, 2016, 12:05:56 PM
Thanks. I have considered buying smaller volumes within the Brilliant set, but if I ever accumulated much, it would make more sense to go with the whole set, which is at pretty good price. It's a good deal at $2 a disc. I'll let you know how it goes!

Oh, I completely agree; $40 is a freaking bargain! There is another CD in there which has all the lyrics, a very nice idea that I wish purveyors of operas would do with librettos. Then if you wanted to you could print them out, or just read on your computing device. Haydn Trio Eisenstadt for excellent too, I forgot to mention!  :)

8)

Jo498

I think I have two of the separate issues, together 5 or 6 discs. Which is more than enough to get a taste/impression of it and it was enough for me ;)

(I am very fond of the Beethoven folksong settings, though, owning both the Archiv complete box (but it's only 6 discs or so) and 3-4 single disc anthologies.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal