Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chronochromie

Best Haydn opera to start with and favorite CD recordings? I was thinking of the Dorati/Lausanne Il mondo della luna but wanted to see what Haydn cognoscenti thought.

Florestan

Quote from: Camphy on January 13, 2016, 09:22:51 AM
Apparently released in France in November:

Note to Sarge: don´t walk, run!  :)
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Florestan

Quote from: Chronochromie on January 13, 2016, 10:33:06 AM
Best Haydn opera to start with and favorite CD recordings? I was thinking of the Dorati/Lausanne Il mondo della luna but wanted to see what Haydn cognoscenti thought.

My favorite is La fedelta premiata with Dorati / Lausanne & Ileana Cotrubas, Frederica von Stade, Lucia Valentini Terrani, Luigi Alva etc.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,54.msg903368.html#msg903368
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

For me, Orlando paladino and Armida / Harnoncourt . Then L'anima del filosofo, ossia Orfeo ed Euridice / Hogwood. The last two both feature Bartoli, who is excellent in Haydn.

As far as it goes, there sure isn't anything wrong with that Il mondo della Luna either! :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on January 13, 2016, 10:51:30 AM
My favorite is La fedelta premiata with Dorati / Lausanne & Ileana Cotrubas, Frederica von Stade, Lucia Valentini Terrani, Luigi Alva etc.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,54.msg903368.html#msg903368

Another gem. Since this is the only recording, there is no contest about which performance! Some really nice arias in this one too!

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Chronochromie

Thank you both, I think I'll start with Orlando Paladino.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: Florestan on January 13, 2016, 10:45:43 AM
Note to Sarge: don´t walk, run!  :)

I think this is why amw has us on her ignore list  :D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Sergeant Rock

This would be my pick. The three women (Von Stade/Auger/Mathis) are outstanding.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Jo498

Note that "Orlando Paladino" is a farcical parody of opera seria... even less consistent or "logical" than most other operas... (It's the only Haydn opera I ever saw on stage and I bought Harnoncourt's recording but I am not sure if I listened to it more than once afterwards.)
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on January 13, 2016, 12:07:46 PM
Note that "Orlando Paladino" is a farcical parody of opera seria... even less consistent or "logical" than most other operas... (It's the only Haydn opera I ever saw on stage and I bought Harnoncourt's recording but I am not sure if I listened to it more than once afterwards.)

What I saw though, which I have the DVD of, is Regietheater foolishness. It is by Jacobs as opposed to Harnoncourt, but if Harnoncourt uses the same sort of ideas, then I am pleased to have only the CD soundtrack, which you can't tell to be stupid. The original staging of OP was based on the Ariosto epic poem, which certainly had its own built-in send up of chivalry, but was not a farce nor meant to be.

Orlando P

The Ariosto original is a masterpiece which was popular for centuries. The opera, obviously, only sets a small part of the whole thing, else it would last for days! Nothing wrong with intelligent comedy, but it shouldn't be slapstick.

8)

Florestan

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on January 13, 2016, 11:50:47 AM
I think this is why amw has us on her ignore list  :D

;D

You mean amw is a woman?  ???

Jo498

To clarify, I have not seen the Harnoncourt production on stage or DVD (I only have the CD) but a local/provincial one in Germany that used some farcical things in staging (it was very entertaining altogether, though).

But if you compare Haydn's opera to the obviously serious treatments of related material in e.g. Handel's "Orlando" or "Alcina", the farcical elements are present in the libretto and music, e.g. Rodomonte.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on January 14, 2016, 12:34:37 AM
To clarify, I have not seen the Harnoncourt production on stage or DVD (I only have the CD) but a local/provincial one in Germany that used some farcical things in staging (it was very entertaining altogether, though).

But if you compare Haydn's opera to the obviously serious treatments of related material in e.g. Handel's "Orlando" or "Alcina", the farcical elements are present in the libretto and music, e.g. Rodomonte.

Ah, I thought perhaps you had seen something like the Jacobs Orlando, which is ludicrous, although with a great soundtrack which I am trying to extract from the DVD to FLAC. It ruined the damned thing for me. Harnoncourt did a Il Mondo... which was along the same lines.

But yes, I agree, and if you are going to present farcical possibilities to someone like Haydn, it would be impossible for him to ignore. BUt the original Ariosto poem was the source of it, rather than Haydn's librettist. You should read some of it, it's a hoot!  :)

8)

Gurn Blanston

kishnevi

Listening to this new arrival.
The cover is slightly misleading. The bulk of the CD is Beethoven,  eight songs in addition to Ferne Geliebte.  Mozart has two songs in addition to the Masonic Cantata.  Haydn himself is represented by the first three tracks
She never told her love. Hob. XXXVIa:34 sets a short passage from Twelfth Night.
Hark! What I tell to thee Hob. XXXVIa:41 sets a poem by Anne Hunter
Antwort auf die Frage eines Madchen XXXVIa:46 sets an anonymous German poem.

Fortepiano is a c.1820 Rosenberger,  Tuning A=430 unequal temperament.

kishnevi

Found this today at Barnes and Noble

Relevance : lead off work is Hob. VIIb.1, the concerto in C Major.
Good PI performance.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 17, 2016, 01:35:06 PM
Found this today at Barnes and Noble

Relevance : lead off work is Hob. VIIb.1, the concerto in C Major.
Good PI performance.

Interesting, he is new to me, although we have seen the band, just recently. Nice lineup, although I don't know Graziani, the others are all good. :)

Thanks!
8)

kishnevi

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on January 17, 2016, 02:28:53 PM
Interesting, he is new to me, although we have seen the band, just recently. Nice lineup, although I don't know Graziani, the others are all good. :)

Thanks!
8)

He is young, early twenties.  The Graziani is labelled a world premier recording.

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 17, 2016, 02:32:59 PM
He is young, early twenties.  The Graziani is labelled a world premier recording.

Ah, that explains everything, and quite neatly too. :)

8)