Haydn's Haus

Started by Gurn Blanston, April 06, 2007, 04:15:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Camphy on February 13, 2016, 08:24:01 AM
Thanks for your comments! I found that recording this afternoon in a local music store and bought it, as I've no intention to acquire the box set. Although the latter does tempt me, I must say.
Not really familiar with these four symphonies; I didn't own any recording of them, but there's a performance of #80 on YouTube by Les Arts Florissants under Jonathan Cohen which I liked. Very much looking forward to listen to this new recording.  :)

These (including 76 & 77) are the very first works which Haydn wrote for public sale, in 1781 & 84. In many ways they preview the Paris Symphonies of 1785-86, but they do mark a clear line against the ones which preceded them. There is no more use of tunes written for other purposes (opera and show tunes) which marked the works between Sturm und Drang and Paris. In my mind, there is a clear idea here which Haydn had, something which really seems to piss off the traditionalist musicologists like Robbins-Landon. In the minor key works, at least beginning with #80 and including #83 and #95, he has developed the habit in first movements of building up a lot of minor key associated bluster, then totally defusing it with a second idea which is totally ridiculous, like a Austrian Ländler dance or something similar, to take the wind out of their sails, so to speak. R-L hates it, I find it hilarious, and quintessentially Haydnish. Listen to the first movement of #80 and see what I mean.   :)

I was trying to infer the contents of the box from the barren listing at jpc. I seem to see they have skipped over the Sinfonia concertante, and instead, they have put in three of the Salomon transcriptions for chamber group, since there is a string quartet, and Hogwood on the fortepiano, although no flutist is mentioned. Interesting idea. No matter what possible combination they come up with it won't affect me; I have all of it!   :)   80€ is a pretty good price for 35 disks, I must say. :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on February 13, 2016, 08:28:52 AM
Yes, I will eventually get the Dantone twofer. Although I am rather pissed that they did not fill it up with the introuvable Hogwood 76+77 (should fit, Goodman has 76-78 on one disc). There is no way I am buying that big box as I have all the Brüggen and about a third of the Hogwood.

You are quite right about that. The 2 disks are ~54 mins each, and the Hogwood 76-77 is getting harder to find in its BBC configuration. I told people this quite a while ago, one should get this disk as soon as possible, since I think it will disappear when current stocks are depleted. I bought it 3 years ago brand new for $5 US, which will be a bargain to envy some day when one can only get it by buying this Big Box. 

I am really enjoying the Dantone right now, BTW... :)

8)

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

Jo498

I saw the BBC 76/77 once from a seller at amazon.de marketplace but it was more or less full price (13 EUR or so) and I didn't want to pay that. I think both Goodman and Fischer do a very good job with 76-78, so it's not so bad to be content with them.
Tout le malheur des hommes vient d'une seule chose, qui est de ne savoir pas demeurer en repos, dans une chambre.
- Blaise Pascal

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Jo498 on February 13, 2016, 11:08:28 PM
I saw the BBC 76/77 once from a seller at amazon.de marketplace but it was more or less full price (13 EUR or so) and I didn't want to pay that. I think both Goodman and Fischer do a very good job with 76-78, so it's not so bad to be content with them.

[asin]B000IJS0U0[/asin]

Decca's failure to include it in the single box reissue last year only made things worse. As you can see, new ones are up to nearly $40 US, and used are going for 3X what I paid 3-4 years ago. Having been following the used CD market for many years now, I fell safe in saying that in a year, these prices will be considered a bargain too. :-\

That said, before I got this disk, I never considered myself impoverished having just Goodman (and Fischer), both of them are fine realizations which I have greatly enjoyed for a long time. :)

8)

Mandryka

Did Haydn really say "I compose music so that the weary and worn, or the man burdened with affairs, may enjoy a few moments of solace and refreshment. I know that God has bestowed a talent upon me, and I thank Him for it. I think I have done my duty and been of use in my generation by my works. Let others do the same"?

http://www.yourclassical.org/programs/composers-datebook/episodes/2016/02/19
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Karl Henning

(Only) parenthetically . . . .

QuoteJoshua:  Shakespeare never said that.
Mrs Lampert:  How do you know?
Joshua:  It's terrible.  You just made it up.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Mandryka on February 19, 2016, 09:55:43 AM
Did Haydn really say "I compose music so that the weary and worn, or the man burdened with affairs, may enjoy a few moments of solace and refreshment. I know that God has bestowed a talent upon me, and I thank Him for it. I think I have done my duty and been of use in my generation by my works. Let others do the same"?

http://www.yourclassical.org/programs/composers-datebook/episodes/2016/02/19

Probably not. If so, I have never seen the entire quote. He did say to Griesinger (in 1804) "I did my duty and I was useful to the world", but I don't know the entire context of the quote. It sounds rather more like someone trying to put extra words in his mouth, but you never know, maybe as an old guy he got more uncharacteristically sentimental than I would have thought. :-\

8)

Gurn Blanston

I think it is interesting how The Professional Concert could bring in a composer/conductor to be a legitimate threat to Haydn, yet today, there are many who have never heard of him! I found out a few things about the Haydn/Pleyel relationship though, if you would like to check it out.

Frenemies isn't so modern a concept

Thanks,
8)

Florestan

Was Beethoven familiar with the A major divertimento? The main theme of the Allegro from Op. 5 / 1 is strikingly similar to Haydn´s Largo.
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

Gurn Blanston

Bought today, looking very much forward to the mail arriving... :)

Released today in USA. I really enjoyed the first disk in this series, they are already touring what will be disk 3.

[asin]B019648MV4[/asin]

And below, Presto is offering this for ~$15.50 delivered price to USA! Pre-release price at Amazon is $21.75, and it is still a week away. At Presto's delivery times, I should have it in hand about the same time, and at a much better price!

A good day for HIP/PI Haydnistos!  :)
8)

SonicMan46

Well, I was not sure that this series would be continued - the recording date on Op. 33 was 2012, and just checking the Hyperion website, the Op. 50 date is 2014, SO might this year marked yet another continuation?  I've been enjoying this group and although I have multiple recordings of most of Haydn's SQs, I believe the Nomos Quartett is my only other set of Op. 50 (oops, except for the Buchberger box) - looking forward to this release.  Dave :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on February 26, 2016, 03:46:26 PM
Well, I was not sure that this series would be continued - the recording date on Op. 33 was 2012, and just checking the Hyperion website, the Op. 50 date is 2014, SO might this year marked yet another continuation?  I've been enjoying this group and although I have multiple recordings of most of Haydn's SQs, I believe the Nomos Quartett is my only other set of Op. 50 (oops, except for the Buchberger box) - looking forward to this release.  Dave :)

I have been in regular contact with the first violin and viola player of this group, and they are quite confident of moving on. They are just in no rush to do it. They tour all these for a year before recording, and Hyperion seems in no rush to get them to market. I noticed with Op 33 that it was released in Europe at least 6 months before USA, which I find mysterious. Presto's price of 12.75 for 2 disc set is hard to beat though. I'm really looking forward to it too. :)

8)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 26, 2016, 04:08:58 PM
I have been in regular contact with the first violin and viola player of this group, and they are quite confident of moving on. They are just in no rush to do it. They tour all these for a year before recording, and Hyperion seems in no rush to get them to market. I noticed with Op 33 that it was released in Europe at least 6 months before USA, which I find mysterious. Presto's price of 12.75 for 2 disc set is hard to beat though. I'm really looking forward to it too. :)

Thanks Gurn for the 'inside' information - anxious to acquire this new set and will look for the best deal - Dave :)

Gurn Blanston

I am often asked to recommend books, and I can't blame anyone for not wanting to spend big bucks on nothing more than the blurb on Amazon.  I have had a couple of previous essays on this subject, and they have been read surprisingly frequently, so this week I picked out a few more books and gave some vital information about them. Not reviews, but at least enough info to answer a few questions. I only ever write about things I like, so you can take it as given that I think these are pretty darn good!  :)

Building your library

Thanks!
8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 27, 2016, 02:05:25 PM
I only ever write about things I like

I totally approve this philosophy. I have a hard time to understand people who waste their life, their time commenting things they hate.
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on February 27, 2016, 02:13:40 PM
I totally approve this philosophy. I have a hard time to understand people who waste their life, their time commenting things they hate.

Thanks, Gordo. Yes, I would make a horrible critic  :D  Nice to see you dropping by, hope you have been listening to some Haydn!  0:)

8)

Wakefield

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on February 27, 2016, 02:16:11 PM
Thanks, Gordo. Yes, I would make a horrible critic  :D  Nice to see you dropping by, hope you have been listening to some Haydn!  0:)

8)

Well, as you know, dear friend, my time to listen to music is severely limited these days. Anyway, when I get some time, Haydn and Bach are always the first option.  0:)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Gordo on February 27, 2016, 02:19:41 PM
Well, as you know, dear friend, my time to listen to music is severely limited these days. Anyway, when I get some time, Haydn and Bach are always the first option.  0:)

Ahh, Bach!   ::)  Well, 1 out of 2 ain't bad.   :D  :D

8)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: Florestan on February 23, 2016, 01:30:22 AM

Was Beethoven familiar with the A major divertimento? The main theme of the Allegro from Op. 5 / 1 is strikingly similar to Haydn´s Largo.

I have to say, that A major divertimento is a bit of a puzzle to me. The only Polonaise movement Haydn put into a Trio was in #97, which is in D. So it must be some other adaptation, all of which, as I say, puzzles me. No matter about that though, if it is good music, it is worth the listening. I just can't face up to your other question because I can't figure out which piece it is... :-\  One of the 12 cassations for 2 Barytons & Baßo is a Polonaise in A. I wonder if they adapted 3 of them to make a piece for Baryton & Harpsichord. It is certainly do-able.

8)

Camphy

It seems like this is a reissue. Prestoclassical states that the concertos were recorded in 1997.